Final Preseason Game vs London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Final Preseason Game vs London Irish

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 pm Flip the script,would you like MF in charge?!
But you're literally the only one who keeps bringing him up as a potential option.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Denton, Eastmond, Kala, Spencer, May, brill, reps Holmes scored after 1 min of coming on, wow what a try from Olewefola!
Wouldn't say Irish were poor but we should not get too carried away with the result, looks like some of the signings are OK!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I was impressed with Eastmond and Denton put in a good shift around the park and Youngs seemed to see him as a banker at the front of the lineout. Spencer put himself about and seems to be the enforcer that many have wanted. However, Exeter will be a VERY different proposition.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

chris111 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm MF is always there ,the day he's permanently there I probably won't be!
What have the Ford family done to upset you? Scarcely a post goes by without you having a dig at one of them!
I will not comment on Mike's ability to coach as he has never coached me or a team I have been associated with but what I can say is that he is a thoroughly nice guy, willing to chat about anything you bring up and why on earth should he and his family not attend the games his boys are playing in? or indeed attending any rugby match? Unlike some of you, I do talk to him often when he is walking his dogs and I found him to be a most agreeable person - down to earth and straight talking.
Hehehehehehehehe
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:18 am
chris111 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm MF is always there ,the day he's permanently there I probably won't be!
What have the Ford family done to upset you? Scarcely a post goes by without you having a dig at one of them!
I will not comment on Mike's ability to coach as he has never coached me or a team I have been associated with but what I can say is that he is a thoroughly nice guy, willing to chat about anything you bring up and why on earth should he and his family not attend the games his boys are playing in? or indeed attending any rugby match? Unlike some of you, I do talk to him often when he is walking his dogs and I found him to be a most agreeable person - down to earth and straight talking.
Working in Bath I have met him on a few occasions and each of those he has been very friendly, down to earth and genuinely interested in chatting. If he was to come to Tigers, it would not change my support for the team. He would be our coach not our team. I don't get being down on him. He was within a game of winning the title but was out thought by Sarries who worked Bath out. It happens. We have been out thought a few times even with our legends playing. It's sport and thats why we love it because there is a winner and a loser. People are entitled to their opinions and that's what I enjoy about this forum, the diverse and at times opposed views in the same thing. But in the end, you can't blame a dad going to watch his sons play rugby...I am sure we have all done that with our kids?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

One big bonus was Eastmonds kicking game, another great option.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reckon we are looking at a team of
1. Fa'eo
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Wells
6. Denton
7. Williams
8. Kalamafoni
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Veainu

16. Stevens
17. Ma'afu
18. Cortes
19. Mapaplangi
20. Reffell
21. Harrison
22. Hardwick
23. Holmes /Olowofela

For Exeter. Assuming no returnees injury wise.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Can't argue with that RB,Feao was a massive improvement on Maafu in the scrum.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Looks about right RB. I would have thought, given the opposition, any injury returnees would, at best, if considered for selection, make the bench. Though that might be a bit dangerous if the player they were replacing got an early injury and they had to play nearly a full game.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

New boys Denton Spencer Feao and Eastmond all looked good. The carrying of Spencer for the hard yards and Denton with the big break through bursts takee the burden off the other guys who where bludgeoned and blunted into the ground last season. with those 2 plus Genge on his return and Calli and a bit of Youngs or Tatafu gives us 4 or 5 carriers out of 8 instead of 1 or 2. Oloafella is the guy I would like to see more of off the bench Initially. I think he looks the pick of the youngsters and we must not loose him. Refell looks ok but his breakdown work will need to improve to make him compete as a true seven like o Connor and Evans. May and Telusa are as we expect but Ford worries me and his back up worries me more .. I would like to see Tomooa at 10 with Eastmond at 12. BY was ok and Tommy his usual reliable self. Manu we all know gets better with game time but only if he can stay fit for long enough to get it. I think this season is the last chance saloon for him with the Tigers.
Big test next week. I don't think for one minute they can win but the manner of their performance will indicate what kind of season we may have.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

What did people make of the second row partnership? Tigers starters?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I thought Wells was the quieter of the two but now Denton's a serious lineout option I would persevere with the pairing.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Unbelievable that Thompstone should be ahead of Holmes , and quite frankly I would play Olafowa ahead of both . He scored a try last night that no one else other than May would have scored - a great talent and we need him to play . Not sure about Williams at 7 , but with BOC , Thompson and Evans out I suppose there is little option . Very pleased with Spencer and Denton .
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:56 pm I thought Wells was the quieter of the two but now Denton's a serious lineout option I would persevere with the pairing.
Difficult Denton was 6, Spencer played really well at 5.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Our substitutions between 4-8 seemed to be focussed on us looking at three possible options, presumably for the Chiefs game.

Starting;
Wells, Spencer, Denton, Reffell, Kalamafoni

Change midway through first half;
Wells, Spencer, Denton, Williams, Kalamafoni

For the start of the second;
Williams, Spencer, Denton, Reffell, Kalamafoni

After that the online coverage seemed to indicate wholesale changes. I suspect that our coaches were keen to evaluate which combination combined best.

I've only seen the try highlights but for the tries we scored where Reffell was on the pitch he was normally in shot when we scored, impressive workrate around the pitch. Maybe something the other big options don't offer in the same way.