Tigers in turmoil article

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mariochanvelli

Tigers in turmoil article

Post by mariochanvelli »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... s-job.html

"The core group of senior players who were heavily involved in the removal of Cockerill back in January, 2017 are not thought to be agitating for change at this stage. But some have concerns over what is seen as a hard-line, dictatorial approach."

Any thoughts?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers in turmoil article

Post by RagingBull »

Tough one
On one hand i've heard similar things about O'Connor rifting against those above.
On the other hand who is the really the dictatorial hand? I'm not a O'Connor fan but IMO the head coach should have the final say on senior coaches.
and if the powers that be think Denis Betts (Widnes was never considered a defensive powerhouse in league) is better than Brad Davis then it really is worrying times.
That being said I also wouldn't be surprised if this has snowballed by a couple of people exaggerating things things to the press.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It's obviously a slack news day.
A life long Tiger
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

No smoke without fire!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I never wanted MoC but he's in the hotseat now so should be backed by everyone! Who is this "senior" figure? Board member? Player? Ex legend? None of this would've happened anyway if we have done what Cohen said we were going to! I can smell Mike Ford in the air and it scares the bejesus out of me!
But it could just be that Matt had family problems back in Oz and needed an extra fortnight off and it's been blown out of proportion,it will all come out soon I suppose.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

This smell has been around for a little while. Some players (and their conduits on the BoD) have too much clout, instrumental in bringing RC down, AM in with Hamilton :smt009 and then some welcoming MOC. As posters on here will know from 2012, I have never been a fan of MOC, but this is all too much for the club. If he has to go, then fine, do it now, promote GM or MB and bring in a DECENT coach or two. I can see a bum start for the season brewing. Heads may need to roll.
IMO we need a tough DOR, someone in the Deano mould, and a top backs coach.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 am This smell has been around for a little while. Some players (and their conduits on the BoD) have too much clout, instrumental in bringing RC down, AM in with Hamilton :smt009 and then some welcoming MOC. As posters on here will know from 2012, I have never been a fan of MOC, but this is all too much for the club. If he has to go, then fine, do it now, promote GM or MB and bring in a DECENT coach or two. I can see a bum start for the season brewing. Heads may need to roll.
IMO we need a tough DOR, someone in the Deano mould, and a top backs coach.
Board need to act quickly. Either come out and rubbish the article and stop this mess before it gets any bigger, or sack him, and replace swiftly. Rowntree is unattached, so maybe he gets the nod as head coach in the interim? Otherwise I genuinely don't know who else is out there who could be seen as a decent appointment by Tigers? Mallinder? Lancaster? Venter?

Equally, has this article been "leaked" to prepare the fans for a poor start to the season? "How can a team play well with this cloud hanging over them."
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If O'Connor goes the buck shouldn't stop at him though.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 am No smoke without fire!
It’s the Daily Mail. Their entire modus operandi is based on sensationalist smoke signalling (when they’re not dogwhistling, that is). I’ll wait until I hear a serious journalist raising this as an issue before giving it any credence.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am If O'Connor goes the buck shouldn't stop at him though.
Wholeheartedly agree.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

chris111 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:03 am
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 am No smoke without fire!
It’s the Daily Mail. Their entire modus operandi is based on sensationalist smoke signalling (when they’re not dogwhistling, that is). I’ll wait until I hear a serious journalist raising this as an issue before giving it any credence.
Exactly so Chris111 - what’s worse is that some here will play to their agenda without having a clue while others will jump on the chance to jump on ‘evidence’ to support their predetermined positions. In fact I’m astonished that one or two of the saner heads here seem to have done so already.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

So why don't the DM "make" stories up about Sarries or Chiefs then? Mmmmm
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Their turn will come Rugbyflanker.

And yes from personal experience I can say they do make stuff up and twist stuff to mean the opposite of what most reasonable people would expect. They’re not alone in that but are leading exponents. If you want to call a spade a spade....
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Touche ;)
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Foy has more credibility than the abject rag he writes for so it's perhaps dangerous to see this simply as 'silly season page-filling'. Cohen is in the usual dilemma of 'damned if he does (deny it); damned if he doesn't'. My guess is that he'll say nothing unless and until credible others support Foy's article.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives