Danny Cipriani - Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Danny Cipriani - Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Will S wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:53 am Looks like the assaulting an officer charge was dropped.
No Will, (to the poster but the same applies to Cipriani! ) Having been locked up in the notorious Jersey prison he was fined £1500 for assault, £500 for resisting arrest and £250 compensation to the policewoman whose collar he felt. Personally I think he should avoid paying and take the optional 10 weeks in a Jersey prison cell or ideally transferred to the tiny prison in Sark.
This is a light sentence given his salary, but what will Eddie Jones decide?
At least this would give more game time to our ex player Owen Williams who sat out most of last season due to Billy Burns.
DM report - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ersey.html
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Were it my choice this bloke would be out of the reckoning for 2019 after this episode.
He is not exactly wet behind the ears and should avoid getting caught up in this type of thing.
Farrell at 10 and GF as back up and an alternative horse for course option.
Experiment with the centres and get some numbers in contention.
Twelvetrees has improved and looks to have a desire getting closer to Farrell than most players that I see, Sam Hill and Sam James are on that path, and Trinder and Tuilagi can bring something if they can prove their long term fitness.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Knee-jerk response by many on here and elsewhere. Typical nightclub issues, the assault was a supposed pull on the collar on a female officer(shades of Manu!), the larceny walking out with a glass in hand - small town response to an issue that would merit little normally. You excuse Manu? Court and Cipriani make correct decision, though fine is a bit steep.The Ackermanns have done worse in Glaws and I doubt unless there is anything else that Ackermann could do that wouldn't be hypocritical.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 pm Knee-jerk response by many on here and elsewhere. Typical nightclub issues, the assault was a supposed pull on the collar on a female officer(shades of Manu!), the larceny walking out with a glass in hand - small town response to an issue that would merit little normally. You excuse Manu? Court and Cipriani make correct decision, though fine is a bit steep.The Ackermanns have done worse in Glaws and I doubt unless there is anything else that Ackermann could do that wouldn't be hypocritical.
His age and the fact that he has been here before tips the balance for me.
Of course he is very talented but then so are many others.
If there is another way then personally I'd take it.
What strikes me is his inability to turn the other cheek for a greater cause, that could be the difference between winning and losing in the end, by that I mean how the attitude translates into applying team tactics etc.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Apart from the fact he is a :censored: off the pitch, which hasn't stopped others being selected, a short suspension or a knuckle rap. Certainly not a doomsday scenario. If he was Welsh, carpet corners would be lifted and brooms grasped. The stuff that has been swept up by the WRU and their contacts has been monumental over the decades.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

According to a Jersey friend, he has been royally stitched up, and , yes, a hand on a shoulder can be constituted as ''assault'' as I am personally aware of in another context.

Stupid, yes, to have got himself into this situation, but shameful of the Police and Magistrates do what they did.

No wonder no one has any respect for either entity nowadays if this constitutes '' crime fighting''
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Coming from anarchist beliefs myself the police arnt in the crimefighting business they are in the revenge one!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm Apart from the fact he is a :censored: off the pitch, which hasn't stopped others being selected, a short suspension or a knuckle rap. Certainly not a doomsday scenario. If he was Welsh, carpet corners would be lifted and brooms grasped. The stuff that has been swept up by the WRU and their contacts has been monumental over the decades.
Of course you are correct, but we know that just isn't going to be allowed to happen with England.
The media won't let it go here, bad news is the only kind of news they are interested in.
He should know better by now, he will know better, but still can't quite put the bigger picture ahead of his ego and let the stupidity go.
It's a sad reality that England players more than any others need to be whiter than snow, and if props etc can avoid this sort of thing then DC is no special case in my opinion.
Sometimes it's best to move on in my opinion, and I probably only really think that as I personally would like to see Sam Hill and Alex Lozowski given a run in the centres with England and Farrell moved back to 10.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think England is going to hell in a handcart for 2019 unless a miracle occurs, so TBH caution could be thrown, as you suggest.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Let’s see what Glos do now. Ban him ? Fine him ? Both ? Either way they have to do something to send out a message to others.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:46 pm Let’s see what Glos do now. Ban him ? Fine him ? Both ? Either way they have to do something to send out a message to others.
Be hypocritical in light of the previous Ackerman misdemeanours though!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if its how its just been described I have seen police just walk up and grab someone unannounced mob handed in the past, especially where drink is involved and can understand a reaction to get them off of the person, sometimes a quiet word works much better
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fentiger wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:49 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:46 pm Let’s see what Glos do now. Ban him ? Fine him ? Both ? Either way they have to do something to send out a message to others.
A fabricated incident made up or at least severely exaggerated by a bloke after some cash.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:48 pm I think England is going to hell in a handcart for 2019 unless a miracle occurs, so TBH caution could be thrown, as you suggest.
+1!
AusTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by AusTiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:49 pm
A fabricated incident made up or at least severely exaggerated by a bloke after some cash.
A friend of mine over here in Sydney has had run ins on tour in Jersey before. Sounds like small town stuff to make a buck.