Treviso Preseason Game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Treviso Preseason Game

Post by BigDan50 »

Only English team to win this week was Bath, hope it's not a sign of things to come.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:19 pm Harlequins were thrashed 50-17 by Glasgow, so other English clubs are struggling in preseason too.
Check out the Harlequins team as well.

15. James Lang (22 appearances)
14. Nathan Earle (-)
13. Joe Marchant (56)
12. Ben Tapuai (-)
11. Gabriel Ibitoye (7)
10. Marcus Smith (28)
9. Danny Care (244)
1. Nick Auterac (-)
2. Dave Ward (c) (143)
3. Phil Swainston (9)
4. Stan South (17)
5. Matt Symons (-)
6. Dino Lamb (10)
7. Luke Wallace (162)
8. Renaldo Bothma (6)

Game changers

Elia Elia (16)
Max Crumpton (-)
Mark Lambert (234)
Will Collier (126)
Hugh Tizard (-)
Ben Glynn (20)
Archie White (21)
Dave Lewis (17)
Charlie Mulchrone (18)
Tim Visser (61)
Henry Cheeseman (14)
Charlie Walker (87)
Ross Chisholm (90)

That's a lot of first string players to be out there and taking a real kicking. You'd imagine that'll be there 9,10,12,13 combination for the start of the campaign as well.
BFG wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:10 pm Surely Leicester Tigers aren't looking for normal Sam!
Normal can come back when and if it is no longer, what we require is excellence and we require it to show itself.
That was a strong looking line up against Treviso and certainly if everyone is to be believed.
WADR to the opposition they should be doing better than that in all round performance terms and at very least get enough points on the board through individual moments of brilliance to be closer.
My instincts tell me that it is going to be a very difficult season.
So what are you saying we should be able to artificially advance the physical development of our academy type five players so they are ready sooner? I think the doping officials might have something to stay about that. Still wouldn't help with the experience that tight five players need to acquire in order to dominate the set piece.

I expect it to be a difficult season, just as I expected last season to be tough. Until we get into a position where we have two quality packs available to us that won't change.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:47 pm Only English team to win this week was Bath, hope it's not a sign of things to come.
+ Exeter, Saints, Sale and Gloucester
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:59 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:10 pm Surely Leicester Tigers aren't looking for normal Sam!
Normal can come back when and if it is no longer, what we require is excellence and we require it to show itself.
That was a strong looking line up against Treviso and certainly if everyone is to be believed.
WADR to the opposition they should be doing better than that in all round performance terms and at very least get enough points on the board through individual moments of brilliance to be closer.
My instincts tell me that it is going to be a very difficult season.
So what are you saying we should be able to artificially advance the physical development of our academy type five players so they are ready sooner? I think the doping officials might have something to stay about that. Still wouldn't help with the experience that tight five players need to acquire in order to dominate the set piece.

I expect it to be a difficult season, just as I expected last season to be tough. Until we get into a position where we have two quality packs available to us that won't change.
I'd prefer to see an outstanding level of young skill above an experienced gym monkey!
It was clear to me that last night neither was present!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:47 pm Only English team to win this week was Bath, hope it's not a sign of things to come.
Exeter lost 29-21 to Cornish Pirates
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm
Exeter lost 29-21 to Cornish Pirates
Their other team beat Cardiff blues 38-10
Also Falcons beat Leinster
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just watched the highlights, it wasn’t a penalty try, hardly even a penalty either or was it an accumulation of the multiple ill-disciplines during the game?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:44 pm Just watched the highlights, it wasn’t a penalty try, hardly even a penalty either or was it an accumulation of the multiple ill-disciplines during the game?
Were you watching with your eyes closed?
Try watching with them open for any number of small things but in particular try not to blink and miss the player in green and red stripes and with a scrum cap!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I did watch it with my eyes open, it was a penalty but not serious I just didn’t think that it merited a penalty try except for the fact that our discipline was really poor throughout the game.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 am I did watch it with my eyes open, it was a penalty but not serious I just didn’t think that it merited a penalty try except for the fact that our discipline was really poor throughout the game.
Not serious, are you serious!
I can tell that you have not played the game to a half decent senior standard with such an attitude.
Refs are strict for good reasons.
The odds on ankles legs or worse being mangled under that travelling weight are greatly decreased by strict maul discipline.
Treviso were heading for the try line and a penalty was committed that prevented it, fairly clear cut penalty try.
It should've also been a yellow card but I suspect the referee recognised that the youngster was swamped and out of his depth more than it being a case of deliberate foul play.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Refs are strict for good reason, but as the collapse wasn't deliberate I thought that it didn't merit a penalty try.

By the way, I do play rugby in the pack, so I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes, but I do actually know my :censored.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

chris111 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 am
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 am So what is the deal with Toomua? Is he in NZ next week or back with us? If he is in NZ do we start him in the Chiefs game with no training and possible jetlag?
He’s on the bench this morning so would imagine he’ll be in the squad for next week as well. Looking forward to see if he gets any action.

Assuming he leaves for UK next Sunday that’s plenty of time to get over the jet lag, and he’ll be fighting fit and keen to play....but having not been involved in preseason will probably start the bench.
If he doesn't get injured playing for Australia of course
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 pm Refs are strict for good reason, but as the collapse wasn't deliberate I thought that it didn't merit a penalty try.

By the way, I do play rugby in the pack, so I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes, but I do actually know my :censored.
It doesn't need to be deliberate, it just needs to be a penalty.