Super User
Super User

Re: 2018-19 squad

Post by kpj tiger »

Baz wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm WINGERS............4

CENTRES............5

FORWARDS........26!

A balanced squad?
I'd say its fairly balanced due to the quality development backs coming through, I'd also say people used to complain when we prioritised backs over forwards
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CENTRES............5

FORWARDS........26!

A balanced squad?
Are scrum halves, fly halves and full backs not classed as backs anymore? :smt017
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CENTRES............5

FORWARDS........26!

A balanced squad?
Yep. You need a squad of approaching 50 players to compete in all our competitions. Seeing as forwards make over half the XV, and front rowers make up over 1/4 of a match day 23, it figures that the squad is forward heavy.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

5 centres?! Toomua,Tuilagi,Mackem,Eastmond,Tait,Smith off the top of my head,Worth and Hardwick too
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm 5 centres?! Toomua,Tuilagi,Mackem,Eastmond,Tait,Smith off the top of my head,Worth and Hardwick too
You forgot Thacker.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm 5 centres?! Toomua,Tuilagi,Mackem,Eastmond,Tait,Smith off the top of my head,Worth and Hardwick too
You forgot Thacker.
And Gareth Owen

Mind you, Toomua is officially listed on the squad page as a Fly Half and Worth as a Full Back - preferred positions but clearly do/can play as centres.

Would also be fairer to compare total backs against total forwards rather than 4 (backs) positions against 8 (forwards) positions.

It would also be fairer to allow for a greater attrition rate, IMO, in the forwards - particularly the front row. Ma'afu is counted in squad but is clearly an injury dispensation for Genge who remains included in the numbers of forwards.

Fred Tuilagi is included in the list for forwards but will he get much Prem time? (not a 'should he' argument catalyst).

Aspland-Robinson (winger) in development squad brings the wingers up to 5. Veainu is listed as Full Back but I believe he prefers wing, certainly capable of playing there.

2 scrum halves listed in senior squad but clearly 2 in the development squad who will be seeing some time. Add Olowofela (Centre) and Hardwick (Fly Half but also Centre) from the development squad.

Suddenly it's a count of roughly 20 backs and 24 forwards (less one of Genge/Ma'afu and Tuilagi) with realistic game time in the Premiership prospects. There are other possibles that may float in and out of contention.

This is not including many of the forwards in the development squad who I don't think will see much senior game time - just my opinion.

Not really so imbalanced after all IMO, but then figures / stats can be used to support / denounce any argument / viewpoint.

*This doesn't include McMillan (Hooker) just revealed - even then, 20/25 split.... not an issue in my book.

I'm sure others can pick holes in this too.....
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 pm
You forgot Thacker.
And Gareth Owen

Mind you, Toomua is officially listed on the squad page as a Fly Half and Worth as a Full Back - preferred positions but clearly do/can play as centres.
Hasn't Olowefela also played 13?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm

You forgot Thacker.
And Gareth Owen

Yes. You've summed up the flaws in the original statistical analysis quite nicely.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm

You forgot Thacker.
And Gareth Owen

He's listed as a Centre on the Development squad page.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Of course they're classed as backs! No one is talking about "backs". I have long been concerned about the lack of attacking centres. If any of our better centres is injured, it has a devastating effect on our attacking capabilities. My comment was based upon the club's own designation of the positions of the players concerned (counting Gareth Owen as a centre!). Tait et al act as centres only when circumstances (usually bad) demand. Would anyone pretend that, under those circumstances, we have a penetrating attack?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Baz wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am Of course they're classed as backs! No one is talking about "backs". I have long been concerned about the lack of attacking centres. If any of our better centres is injured, it has a devastating effect on our attacking capabilities. My comment was based upon the club's own designation of the positions of the players concerned (counting Gareth Owen as a centre!). Tait et al act as centres only when circumstances (usually bad) demand. Would anyone pretend that, under those circumstances, we have a penetrating attack?
Then why not say all that in your OP? Rather than just chucking some numbers down that don't really outline your concerns or your argument.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

That depends whether you call, Ford, Toomua, May, Tuilagi, Holmes, Eastman, Owen, Olowefea, Veianu, attacking players.

If the forwards give them enough front foot ball they will rip any team apart.

Old rugby saying, Forwards decide who wins matches, backs decide by how many.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am That depends whether you call, Ford, Toomua, May, Tuilagi, Holmes, Eastman, Owen, Olowefea, Veianu, attacking players.

Sorry but to me some of the Referees decide the result - the players by how many!
Remember Newcastle @ home and others!! :smt013
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am That depends whether you call, Ford, Toomua, May, Tuilagi, Holmes, Eastman, Owen, Olowefea, Veianu, attacking players.

Sorry but to me some of the Referees decide the result - the players by how many!
Remember Newcastle @ home and others!! :smt013
Only people responsible for that result were the players, take the ref out of the equation by not making errors and giving away stupid pens