Captaincy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Captaincy

Post by BigDan50 »

George Ford is not captaincy material, as I said sulks when things not going his way, good player but a bit of a spoilt brat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:23 pm George Ford is not captaincy material, as I said sulks when things not going his way, good player but a bit of a spoilt brat
If I worded something this way I'd get shot down and told I was stating my opinion as a fact.

I'm just saying that I think Ford would be captain whilst MOC is in charge if Youngs was to have the role taken off him or he stood down from it. Would I pick him as captain? No.

Would he be picked as captain to replace Youngs? Yes, I believe he would.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:23 pm George Ford is not captaincy material, as I said sulks when things not going his way, good player but a bit of a spoilt brat
You'd agree that Farrell isn't captaincy material for England too then I presume?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

And?! He's co captained England too,just wouldn't be nowhere near my first choice or even second,third,fourth for that matter.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm And?! He's co captained England too,just wouldn't be nowhere near my first choice or even second,third,fourth for that matter.
I wouldn't expect anything else from you. However, MOC would have him as captain.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Not just me though is it?! :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Found a piece written by John Mulcahy - a Sports Science guy? - which I thought might be of interest. Maybe we should recognise his apparent distinction between an off-field and on-field captain. Maybe a decision has to be made as to whether we might benefit from having 2 players share the role:

"A modern captain must be a leader, but they can’t just lead by being a good player. On the pitch tactical decisions need to be made, they must interact with the referee and deliver technical messages to the team. All this while motivating or calming players. To many its like being an on-pitch manager, being able to react and even foresee incidents positive or negative that effect the game’s outcome.

Off the pitch captains are supposed to embody the essence of the club or team, a role model to fans and players. They are expected to answer media questions regarding decisions and tactics that in other sports would be the topic for managers. In training, they act as a go between regarding players and coaching staff, while setting the standards that other players must aspire too. I am sure if you took 5 minutes you could think of various other roles, pressures and distractions that captains have to fulfil."

I have the greatest respect for OTY and, if anyone can be said to "embody the essence of the club" and be "a role model to fans and players", it's him. So, imho, I think that's our Club Captain right there.

Our on-field Captain - one who displays the characteristics in Mulcahy's first paragraph - is different and I'd suggest Tom doesn't really fit the profile. For me - "fire in the belly but ice in the brain" = Brendan O'Connor.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

If you can get the "On the pitch" captaincy right I'd be happy.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:45 am

"A modern captain must be a leader, but they can’t just lead by being a good player. On the pitch tactical decisions need to be made, they must interact with the referee and deliver technical messages to the team. All this while motivating or calming players. To many its like being an on-pitch manager, being able to react and even foresee incidents positive or negative that effect the game’s outcome.”...

Our on-field Captain - one who displays the characteristics in Mulcahy's first paragraph - is different and I'd suggest Tom doesn't really fit the profile. For me - "fire in the belly but ice in the brain" = Brendan O'Connor.

It’s a good job Eddie Jones didn’t read that before appointing, and confirming, Hartley as England captain.

It’s clearly something that can be taught, and even learnt by someone who has appeared as stupid as Hartley often has..he was even over the top for the stereotypical No2!
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

I wonder why Dan Cole has never been touted as a potential Captain? I could see Genge emerging as a candidate.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Brutus wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am I wonder why Dan Cole has never been touted as a potential Captain? I could see Genge emerging as a candidate.
Props in general are not captains.
And here we have the perfect example of someone posting speculation as fact......

Ford isn't a spoilt brat and is generally well liked by most of the players he has played with at Bath, Tigers and England.
That being said he wouldn't be a captain for me, mainly because he needs to focus on his game more without the added pressure.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Brutus wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am I wonder why Dan Cole has never been touted as a potential Captain? I could see Genge emerging as a candidate.
Coley captained when he was younger but is now more of a doer than a talker, and you don’t really want the ref falling out with your tight head
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Liked by his Bath teammates? According to their fans Blackadder is still cleaning up the "toxic" environment the Fords left behind!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I'm not sure Gengey speaks the same language as most refs - or even most players...

“Allow it fam, that call is well annoying” = "Stop it, ref - that decision is dubious"
“Look man, the ref. Don’t look so bait.” = "The ref will get you if you look suspicious"
“Don’t blow again ref, it costing us bare” = "Don't penalise me again, ref - the score's getting away from us!"
“I ain't trying to chirpse you, fam! You ain’t from these ends, are you?” = "I'm not trying to chat you up here, ref! You're not from round here, are you?"
“You should come chill with the mandem tonight, bruv.” = "Do join us for a pint later, ref!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 pm Liked by his Bath teammates? According to their fans Blackadder is still cleaning up the "toxic" environment the Fords left behind!
Any toxic environment has been created by Brucie IMO
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.