Eastmond

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Eastmond

Post by mightymouse »

Eastmond could be another ant Allen.ie looked good when young, gone off a bit comes to us and excels. I think it could be just right for us. Spencer is hopefully another Kay/ Barrow ie relatively unknown but turns out a strong prospect. As for the "overrated non scotsman" u would say dave Denton is underrated. He is 6 foot 5 18 and a half stone. A big ball carrier that makes a big difference when he is on the field. He has been a major player in a ever improving Scottish team who have beaten England France Australia and very nearly All Blacks. When he plays they look an even better team and was the player of the summer in a team without many major stars he stood up and was counted. Best 8/6 we've had for quite a while
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 am Eastmond could be another ant Allen.ie looked good when young, gone off a bit comes to us and excels. I think it could be just right for us. Spencer is hopefully another Kay/ Barrow ie relatively unknown but turns out a strong prospect. As for the "overrated non scotsman" u would say dave Denton is underrated. He is 6 foot 5 18 and a half stone. A big ball carrier that makes a big difference when he is on the field. He has been a major player in a ever improving Scottish team who have beaten England France Australia and very nearly All Blacks. When he plays they look an even better team and was the player of the summer in a team without many major stars he stood up and was counted. Best 8/6 we've had for quite a while
Denton wasn’t involved when Scotland beat Australia and ran the Kiwis close, but I do agree with you.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:47 am
mightymouse wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 am Eastmond could be another ant Allen.ie looked good when young, gone off a bit comes to us and excels. I think it could be just right for us. Spencer is hopefully another Kay/ Barrow ie relatively unknown but turns out a strong prospect. As for the "overrated non scotsman" u would say dave Denton is underrated. He is 6 foot 5 18 and a half stone. A big ball carrier that makes a big difference when he is on the field. He has been a major player in a ever improving Scottish team who have beaten England France Australia and very nearly All Blacks. When he plays they look an even better team and was the player of the summer in a team without many major stars he stood up and was counted. Best 8/6 we've had for quite a while
Denton wasn’t involved when Scotland beat Australia and ran the Kiwis close, but I do agree with you.
He did feature off the bench as Scotland lost to USA. Personally I think he's an overrated show pony but am very hopeful he'll prove me wrong. He's big, mobile and quick ball in hand and whilst generally ineffective in the tight running off the shoulder of someone making a half break or a half back who takes it flat to the line and draws in defenders he is very dangerous. If MOC finally stops the turgid :censored: we played for the bulk of last season and plays off of Ford then Denton could do well for us.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We beat Saracens by playing off 9???
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:37 pm We beat Saracens by playing off 9???
We were awful in Europe and didn't make the playoffs.

Our attack was predictable and lacked any real cutting edge. Ford loves to take the ball to the line and pick a runner but we aren't making the most of his ability in this department because all the forwards are standing short. We haven't got the size of pack to bludgeon the opposition but we have got the type of mobile pack that can launch off the shoulder of Ford and cause issues.

The only game we played off of 10 last season was the final game against Sale where we ran riot and Ford was man of the match. More of the same please, particularly when we've got May, Holmes and Owolofela who like coming off their wing looking for work.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

I'm actually pretty happy with this given the circumstances, with the 45-0 defeat to Bath still painfully clear in the memory, I remember Ford and Eastmond linking up pretty well.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/29227473

It'd be nice to see the young lads like Hardwick get more of a chance this season in Toomua's absence, knowing that if they perform they actually have a long term chance to be in the starting line up.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Brutus wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:34 pm I'm actually pretty happy with this given the circumstances, with the 45-0 defeat to Bath still painfully clear in the memory, I remember Ford and Eastmond linking up pretty well.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/29227473

It'd be nice to see the young lads like Hardwick get more of a chance this season in Toomua's absence, knowing that if they perform they actually have a long term chance to be in the starting line up.
Oof, that starting front row and the names in the Tigers subs makes me wince - people are moaning about strength in depth now but that bench is pretty horrible bar OTY and Shazam
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Indeed DeadlyDunc, that was a poor bench, but we were in the middle of an injury crisis at the time plus a front row of Mulipola, Ghiraldini and Balmain wasn’t that bad.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bath had both Houston and Fa’osiliva at Number 8, we only had Crane & Pearce!! :smt010
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

When is Mr Eastmond likely to start training with Tigers? Bearing in mind how late in to pre-season we are, when do we think is the earliest he might be able to start playing?

Like many others, I think he is something different and adds to the strength in depth.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He was already training when they announced him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Goshengareth wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 pm When is Mr Eastmond likely to start training with Tigers? Bearing in mind how late in to pre-season we are, when do we think is the earliest he might be able to start playing?

Like many others, I think he is something different and adds to the strength in depth.
I said when the Club released the Instagram pictures of him on August 1st that he looked settled in. I think he has just been avoiding the cameras and will be ready for the London Irish game
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 pm
Goshengareth wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 pm When is Mr Eastmond likely to start training with Tigers? Bearing in mind how late in to pre-season we are, when do we think is the earliest he might be able to start playing?

I said when the Club released the Instagram pictures of him on August 1st that he looked settled in. I think he has just been avoiding the cameras and will be ready for the London Irish game
I'm sure they just selected photos that didn't feature him. There was a convenient picture of him at preseason in Tigers training kit when he was announced as joining. I doubt they had cameras down there on his first day trying to get a useable picture.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Excellent news. Thx for sharing.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 pm
Robespierre wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pmMay the knockers get back into their holes and reserve judgment until he has several games under his belt.
Absolutely no chance, first sign of an error or not scoring a hat-trick and the hand-wringers will be out promoting their foresight and knowledge.

I for one am happy to have Eastmond on board, always a player that tended to cause 5p/50p moments when he got the ball against us.

Needs to be given a chance over a period of time. Injury record or not, supposed attitude issues or not, if the price is right then he's potentially a quality addition, and if he works in harmony with Ford as he did before, all the better.
5p/50p moment is that the modern tanner / half crown for us old timers? :)
God created rugby so footballers have heros too