Eastmond

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LittleBigG

Re: Eastmond

Post by LittleBigG »

JP14 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:00 pm Plus Ford and Eastmond did tear everybody to shreds for Bath back in 14/15, so potentially that could happen for us too.
Yeah, including us!

I for one am pleased that Eastmond will be in green, white, and red rather than not! At his best he is utterly electric.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:11 am
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 am Unlike the Saracens press release that the Vunipola's have extended their contracts to 2022, there is no indication of the length of Eastmond's contract. As he was gathering dust on the "availability shelf" from Wasps is that an indication that he is on a 12 month contract - to see how past injuries go or is he hopefully on a 2 or 3 year contract?? Some one here must know.
When oh! When are the other signings being announced and those we have released but still have no club to go to - Traynor, Brady etc....
Tigers never release the length of any players contract. They aren't going to start doing so with Eastmond.
Especially as the length of the contract may be conditional. Could well be a one year deal with a second year triggered once he makes a set number of appearances.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not a massive fan of this signing or any for this season tbh, 2 reserves from the Pests, an overrated non Scotsman & in Spencer a bit of unknown. The recruitment is a bit poor tbh, would personally take a season of genuine transition if it meant our own younger players getting a chance to prove themselves. The lack of prop signings is really worrying, we are one injury to Cole from chaos.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:12 pm Not a massive fan of this signing or any for this season tbh, 2 reserves from the Pests, an overrated non Scotsman & in Spencer a bit of unknown. The recruitment is a bit poor tbh, would personally take a season of genuine transition if it meant our own younger players getting a chance to prove themselves. The lack of prop signings is really worrying, we are one injury to Cole from chaos.
What were you expecting though? Also Spencer isn't really an unknown being as he's been in 2/3 England camps
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

David Flatman waxed lyrical about Spencer, he is a huge signing.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am Lose a world class centre and replace him with Eastmond. Beggars belief, that sums up Tigers player recruitment in a nutshell :smt009
Exactly :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

G.K wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:25 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am Lose a world class centre and replace him with Eastmond. Beggars belief, that sums up Tigers player recruitment in a nutshell :smt009
I'm not sure Eastmond is seen as Toomua's replacement. That position should be filled next year.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:28 pm
I'm not sure Eastmond is seen as Toomua's replacement. That position should be filled next year.
Agreed. It's more that O'Connor wants some cover at centre given Toomua will be unavailable at the start of the season. Eastmond is without a club and a talented and versatile player. Good squad addition.

I'd still argue against a direct replacement for Toomua. Much rather look at adding some big nasty options up front replacing Fitzgerald and depth at prop next summer.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Agreed. It's more that O'Connor wants some cover at centre given Toomua will be unavailable at the start of the season. Eastmond is without a club and a talented and versatile player. Good squad addition.

I'd still argue against a direct replacement for Toomua. Much rather look at adding some big nasty options up front replacing Fitzgerald and depth at prop next summer.
Toomua is clearly hugely talented across the piece but the stand-out for me is his organisation of the defence. Reminds me of AA in that regard. If we could replace that, I'd be very happy.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:14 pm David Flatman waxed lyrical about Spencer, he is a huge signing.
Flatman I listen to only slightly more than Dayglo, Guscott & Barnes........
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Flatman is a great commentator and is genuinely funny sometimes, yes probably struggles with biasness for Bath but it’s not to the extent of Dallaglio.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:12 pm Not a massive fan of this signing or any for this season tbh, 2 reserves from the Pests, an overrated non Scotsman & in Spencer a bit of unknown. The recruitment is a bit poor tbh, would personally take a season of genuine transition if it meant our own younger players getting a chance to prove themselves. The lack of prop signings is really worrying, we are one injury to Cole from chaos.
You may take a season of "genuine transition" but the club won't.

We had a very good DOR sacked because it looked like we may not have finished in the top 4 for the first time ever under his leadership (although I'm very confident we would have) half way through the season. That shows what must be achieved each season.

I also think you're being harsh about the new signings. Time will tell I guess.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:55 pm I really don't think Eastmond is the long term replacement for Toomua, he's just a (very talented) extra pair of hands in the centres, which I think everyone would agree is needed. So he didn't succeed hugely at Wasps? Well if he had, he probably wouldn't fit into our salary cap!

Toomua leaving in a year leaves us with a vacancy for a marquee signing, and as much as I'm disappointed to see Matt go, I'm very excited to see who we can find to fill that.
Careful Tiglon. Are you suggesting that with the addition of Eastmond that we know have a pool of talented centres who all offer something different? Owen, Toomua, Tuilagi, Thacker, Eastmond and of course Tait & Worth.

That kind of open minded thinking will never catch on here.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Toomua is clearly hugely talented across the piece but the stand-out for me is his organisation of the defence. Reminds me of AA in that regard. If we could replace that, I'd be very happy.
AA was phenomenal at reading the game. Flood used to make interceptions have the commentators wax lyrical about him and then give all the credit to Allen after the game for telling him what the opposition were lining up to do. I think Allen organised a defence better than Toomua, when Toomua makes a read in defence you definitely know about it because he smashes the opposition back a yard or three. Toomua hits well above his weight.

Worth and Hardwick have both played 10 and 12 so they should have some ability to read the game. Give them a go between Ford and Manu. Best way for them to learn. Neither of them are going to be run over in defence.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Eastmond could be another ant Allen.ie looked good when young, gone off a bit comes to us and excels. I think it could be just right for us. Spencer is hopefully another Kay/ Barrow ie relatively unknown but turns out a strong prospect. As for the "overrated non scotsman" u would say dave Denton is underrated. He is 6 foot 5 18 and a half stone. A big ball carrier that makes a big difference when he is on the field. He has been a major player in a ever improving Scottish team who have beaten England France Australia and very nearly All Blacks. When he plays they look an even better team and was the player of the summer in a team without many major stars he stood up and was counted. Best 8/6 we've had for quite a while