Toomua's Replacement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Toomua's Replacement

Post by ellis9 »

cape wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 am Perhaps that is why we are looking at KE for this year then.

There has been talk about him playing in the Rugby Championship. Brave call selecting a player that has been out the set up and doesn't know the game plan - god knows what the current players would feel about that. Have an inkling that MC see's him as FH and not a 12

Goosen was extreme - but he was pushed to that, which is where we would end up if followed Ellis line of not wanting him to go
Which is exactly why they will probably pick him so he can get used to the set up again ready for the World Cup.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

So he didn't sit there and lie when he was interviewed about staying a long time or when he signed his extension then,that is what some are insinuating which I think is out of order!
cape

Post by cape »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:07 am It's completely different. You don't have to think about representing your country. Toomua knew that by signing a new contract for two years with us, it ruled him out of the World Cup. He chose that option. It's nothing to do with money or playing for a bigger, better club, there's not many bigger than Tigers. He is doing this to play for his country. Therefore, he should have either asked for a one year contract extension or gone back home after the first two years.
Look at the comment below, he seems to have a common sense approach to this - things change. But guess you live in a black and white world where circumstances never change. There are bigger clubs than Tigers sadly - we are a shadow of our former selves - could argue there are three better clubs than us at the minute. And international rugby is bigger and better. At the time he signed the contact I doubt internationals were on his mind - he hadn't played in a year for starters - again circumstances change, just evidently not in your world
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Correct cape but Ellis wears the most tinted glasses you will ever see,it's never the club that are at fault with anything....EVER! 😉
cape

Post by cape »

You are right, the insinuation of their comments is that he tried to cheat the club for money as he knew he would want to leave - which strikes me as :censored: and grossly unfair and does not strike me as that type of person.

If I was in that boat and things changed in the world I would take the international offer over the club, even as a Tigers fan
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am I expect folk would feel different about him if he wasn't a Tigers player but hey ho!
Obviously because we wouldn't be invested in it otherwise
Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 am So he didn't sit there and lie when he was interviewed about staying a long time or when he signed his extension then,that is what some are insinuating which I think is out of order!
I mean if Aus was always going to be a option which clearly it is, he shouldn't have signed the extension in the first place and just said he wanted to see how things played out with MC

I would've be as annoyed if he had him the whole season but it leaves our season in a mess.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

cape wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 am
ellis9 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:07 am It's completely different. You don't have to think about representing your country. Toomua knew that by signing a new contract for two years with us, it ruled him out of the World Cup. He chose that option. It's nothing to do with money or playing for a bigger, better club, there's not many bigger than Tigers. He is doing this to play for his country. Therefore, he should have either asked for a one year contract extension or gone back home after the first two years.
Look at the comment below, he seems to have a common sense approach to this - things change. But guess you live in a black and white world where circumstances never change. There are bigger clubs than Tigers sadly - we are a shadow of our former selves - could argue there are three better clubs than us at the minute. And international rugby is bigger and better. At the time he signed the contact I doubt internationals were on his mind - he hadn't played in a year for starters - again circumstances change, just evidently not in your world
I said bigger not better. There's not many clubs BIGGER than Tigers. We are the biggest club in England. We are one of the biggest in the world. There are teams better than us but not many are bigger.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yes,to say he signed an extension knowing he wasn't going to honour it and lie in an interview that he would happy here for a long time is bang out of order! That must be what's being insinuated or what's the problem?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

cape wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am You are right, the insinuation of their comments is that he tried to cheat the club for money as he knew he would want to leave - which strikes me as :censored: and grossly unfair and does not strike me as that type of person.

If I was in that boat and things changed in the world I would take the international offer over the club, even as a Tigers fan
I'm not saying he tried to cheat the club out of money because that wouldn't be the case.

I'm saying he has messed the club about, and generally I care more about the club than Toomua and Aus.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

cape wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am You are right, the insinuation of their comments is that he tried to cheat the club for money as he knew he would want to leave - which strikes me as :censored: and grossly unfair and does not strike me as that type of person.

I'd pick my country over Tigers too. Therefore, if I was an overseas player I'd make sure I was playing rugby in the right country BEFORE negotiating my next contract. He is a world class player so he would've known Australia would want him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:18 am

I'm not saying he tried to cheat the club out of money because that wouldn't be the case.

I'm saying he has messed the club about, and generally I care more about the club than Toomua and Aus.
Correct. It seems we both support the club. Others it seems, support individual players. No player is bigger than any club.
cape

Post by cape »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:18 am

Apologies - wasn't directed at yourself. Yes it is messed up, but could be a whole lot worse

More directed at 'I didn't use that word' Ellis... here it is in black and white

"playing for a bigger, better club" - there it is in black and white

Also- people quantify bigger as many different things - revenue, attendances, trophies, top players etc
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Just going around in circles now and getting boring! I'm absolutely positive that Matt thought his Oz career was over before signing the extension and being interviewed. That's my take.
cape

Post by cape »

I'm with you now rugbyflanker I agree that was probably what happened, he could have just left now really- no point giving myself deja vu so not going to bother looking at this now
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Cape, read my comment again. I said leaving Tigers is nothing to do with him wanting to play for a bigger, better club.

If you're going to copy and paste my words, don't just take part of a sentence and accuse me of saying something I didn't.