Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Concussion

Post by kend »

Thought you might be interested in Jim Hamilton's view of the new tackle trial:
Hamilton also questions the very logic of getting players going lower into the tackle.

“It’s only the Championship that’s affected at the minute and we shouldn’t get carried away,” Hamilton told RugbyPass. “But from my experience of being in the tackle and watching players beside me being injured in the tackle, most if not all come from the head hitting something hard. A shoulder, knee, elbow or another head.
IMHO most tackle related injuries occur because of the dynamics of the tackle - the ball carrier changes direction/turns in to the tackle and compromises the position of the tackler. It's your physicality that protects you in those circumstances rather than technique?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Concussion

Post by biffer »

kend wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:23 pm Thought you might be interested in Jim Hamilton's view of the new tackle trial:
Hamilton also questions the very logic of getting players going lower into the tackle.

“It’s only the Championship that’s affected at the minute and we shouldn’t get carried away,” Hamilton told RugbyPass. “But from my experience of being in the tackle and watching players beside me being injured in the tackle, most if not all come from the head hitting something hard. A shoulder, knee, elbow or another head.
IMHO most tackle related injuries occur because of the dynamics of the tackle - the ball carrier changes direction/turns in to the tackle and compromises the position of the tackler. It's your physicality that protects you in those circumstances rather than technique?
The evidence in the studies agrees with Jim's assessment that it's contact with the hard areas that causes the problems, but that it's far more prevalent in head to head contact.