Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Not sure if serious :smt017
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:11 pm Potentially I wouldn't mind a Marquee lock or even a Prop instead of Marquee IC.
I can think of a few IC that could do a very good job and wouldn't be marquee type wages.
Agreed, if we want a back I think we'd be better off going for a 13 or 15 ( Radradra or DMAC would do nicely :smt003 )
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:55 am Seems to confirm MT is staying this season but is going to play for Australia in the Bledisloe cup in Aug this year. That is a real blow to the start of the season and makes it more likely that KE will be signed very very shortly if not immediately.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 4zti8.html
If true then surely signing Eastmond is a must! Toomua and TPN won’t be back in the country until after the Saints game which is a solid chunk of the premiership missed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I understand why Toomua is wanting to go back to Aus.

But I'm pretty annoyed about the whole situation.
Especially all the spiel about how he wants to repay the club for the way they handled his first season, arriving late due to injury, getting red carded first game for a stupid hit on Russell followed by a season ending injury and then to top it all off be one of the "Faces" to talk to the supporters at the fans forum with Tom Youngs about how happy he is and his sole focus is Tigers etc etc.

I wish him all the best but it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, whereas if he was to just let his original contract run to the end of this season then there wouldn't have been a problem.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:55 pm I understand why Toomua is wanting to go back to Aus.

Especially all the spiel about how he wants to repay the club for the way they handled his first season, arriving late due to injury, getting red carded first game for a stupid hit on Russell followed by a season ending injury and then to top it all off be one of the "Faces" to talk to the supporters at the fans forum with Tom Youngs about how happy he is and his sole focus is Tigers etc etc.

I wish him all the best but it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, whereas if he was to just let his original contract run to the end of this season then there wouldn't have been a problem.
These echo my sentiments on the matter, very bad taste in the mouth and another season of struggle in the centres ahead it would seem!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Is it not possible he changed his mind after the extension or circumstances changed after the extension? I don't believe for one second he was lying so ultimately they must have!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

How about signing Harry Mallinder as a replacement... :smt030
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm personally massively teed off about it, especially as he was one of our few players who played what was there instead of MOCs playbook
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

How about no! Ford, Mallinder and Tuilagi as a defensive trio? Revolving door time
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 pm How about no! Ford, Mallinder and Tuilagi as a defensive trio? Revolving door time
I wasn't being serious.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Phew! 😉
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Eastmond is a good start.
If we was to want like for like marquee 12 then we would have to be chasing Crotty really also Beale will be out of contract after World cup.

Although I could think of more lock and props that might be better marquee types to have.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think lock is the position we need a marquee signing to fill. It would boost the pack massively and give us some added grunt.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:40 pm I think lock is the position we need a marquee signing to fill. It would boost the pack massively and give us some added grunt.
Totally agree - bit of a rallying point as well. Feel like Slater's leadership is missed, although do feel he was slowing down a bit so in pure rugby terms wasn't the end of the world. Top bloke though and think he's missed in the dressing room.

I'd like to see another centre too, especially if MT is really on the way - but mainly also want to see the young lads come in a bit more. We have a lot of raw talent as the U20 World Cup showed - combine that with 1-2 big names to marshal them alongside great pros like Youngs (x2), Cole etc and we'll get back there...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:55 pm I understand why Toomua is wanting to go back to Aus.

Pretty fair summary there RB :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives