Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:49 am
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am Toomua back to Oz, apparently signing for the Rebels,that's our season over!!!
Edit: it's next season so that gives us a year to mess up getting his replacement!
Where has this been announced?
Nothing official, but they’ve been right in the past. No reason not to believe this story.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 4zr3v.html
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am Toomua back to Oz, apparently signing for the Rebels,that's our season over!!!
Edit: it's next season so that gives us a year to mess up getting his replacement!
The chances are we won't get someone as good as Toomua as he is world class but that doesn't mean we will mess it up!
True, there are lots of good centres out there who won’t cost loads. Plus I’d rather the other marquee spot be spent on a forward
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Bit fed up as I though we would get two seasons more from To'omua, since he spent a whole season injured. Ho hum. More than ever, feel we needed to offer reasonable ££ to tempt OW back from where he isn't wanted.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am
The chances are we won't get someone as good as Toomua as he is world class but that doesn't mean we will mess it up!
I beg to differ (although we may not get someone as young perhaps), as post RWC there'll be plenty of internationals looking for marquee type deals. The problem is they wouldn't be arriving till almost Christmas '19.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:49 am
Where has this been announced?
Nothing official, but they’ve been right in the past. No reason not to believe this story.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 4zr3v.html
The only good thing I can see coming out of this if true is we should be making plenty of ££££ out of the Rebels buying him out of his contract
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am Bit fed up as I though we would get two seasons more from To'omua, since he spent a whole season injured. Ho hum. More than ever, feel we needed to offer reasonable ££ to tempt OW back from where he isn't wanted.
Agree. He signed a contract for a further 2 seasons with Tigers knowing he cannot play for Australia whilst with us.

It's like Ashton at Toulon. Why bother joining overseas clubs if you're going to get back on the earliest flight possible?!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am
jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am Bit fed up as I though we would get two seasons more from To'omua, since he spent a whole season injured. Ho hum. More than ever, feel we needed to offer reasonable ££ to tempt OW back from where he isn't wanted.
Agree. He signed a contract for a further 2 seasons with Tigers knowing he cannot play for Australia whilst with us.

It's like Ashton at Toulon. Why bother joining overseas clubs if you're going to get back on the earliest flight possible?!
I get the feeling this may be similar to Benjamin Kayser and Mermoz in that its a family decision, the line that stood out to me was "a chance to establish a more settled home base with cricketer wife Ellyse Perry looks to have swayed Toomua's decision"

Ashton's decision seems to have been motivated by the English media + his wife being unhappy in France too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 am

I get the feeling this may be similar to Benjamin Kayser and Mermoz in that its a family decision, the line that stood out to me was "a chance to establish a more settled home base with cricketer wife Ellyse Perry looks to have swayed Toomua's decision"

Ashton's decision seems to have been motivated by the English media + his wife being unhappy in France too
The opening paragraph:
Test playmaker Matt Toomua will answer a Wallabies SOS call and return to Australia ahead of next year's World Cup.

The main reason he is going back is to play in the World Cup. With that decision being made, he has then decided that living in Melbourne is better than anywhere else in Australia. It doesn't come across to me that the number 1 reason he is going back is to be with his wife.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am

The opening paragraph:
Test playmaker Matt Toomua will answer a Wallabies SOS call and return to Australia ahead of next year's World Cup.

The main reason he is going back is to play in the World Cup. With that decision being made, he has then decided that living in Melbourne is better than anywhere else in Australia. It doesn't come across to me that the number 1 reason he is going back is to be with his wife.
But like you said why sign a contract extension here if you have no intention of staying?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am
ellis9 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am

The opening paragraph:

But like you said why sign a contract extension here if you have no intention of staying?
He probably didn't realise how much Australia wanted him back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm Tigers have never been put off by previous bad behaviour, just as long as they can park it at the door once they are here.
He also has a decent working relationship with Ford too
Exactly, how many times did Ford and Eastmond rip open our defence at the Rec when they played together. They make a good pairing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

From what I have heard the aussie press is still counting their chickens ATM.
Toomua is most likely 100% off but it is from what I gather currently end of his contract (2 seasons).

Things do change in the space of days though, but no one as of yet has told me he is going end of this season.

But Chieka wants to have him involved and that means he has to go back home, the finer points are the issue.

From the same source in 2015 https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... kyzgw.html

The ACT Brumbies are bracing for a major hit with reports playmaker Matt Toomua is expected to join English club Wasps and international clubs preparing to raid their off-contract stars.

So whilst the overall picture might be true, don't take the press for gospel.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

This stinks.

I get that he wants to play for his country, I get that he wants to be close to his wife, but why sign the contract with us and say how happy he is here?

If he plays for Australia - we are unlikely to see him back at Tigers until December (assuming he also plays during the AIs), plus giving him a couple of weeks off. So 5 months left of our marquee player.

Would much rather Rebels buy him out now, and we go and get either OW or FB back at Tigers, both falling down the pecking order at their current clubs but would slot straight back in at Tigers.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 am This stinks.

I get that he wants to play for his country, I get that he wants to be close to his wife, but why sign the contract with us and say how happy he is here?

If he plays for Australia - we are unlikely to see him back at Tigers until December (assuming he also plays during the AIs), plus giving him a couple of weeks off. So 5 months left of our marquee player.

Would much rather Rebels buy him out now, and we go and get either OW or FB back at Tigers, both falling down the pecking order at their current clubs but would slot straight back in at Tigers.
For me that would be a pretty big waste of money IMO.
Both OW and FB would require buying out of contract.

IF we where to go down that route would rather we signed Eastmond as cover and then next season after the world cup to look to go big and chase a
Crotty
Laumape
SBW
Kriel
De Allande
de la Fleunte
Oralndo
Botia
Beale
etc etc etc
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 am This stinks.

For me that would be a pretty big waste of money IMO.
Both OW and FB would require buying out of contract.

IF we where to go down that route would rather we signed Eastmond as cover and then next season after the world cup to look to go big and chase a
Crotty
Laumape
SBW
Kriel
De Allande
de la Fleunte
Oralndo
Botia
Beale
etc etc etc
If he wants to play in the WC fair enough, but it would make no sense for him to stay on the books for our 2019/2020 season and he would hardly feature for us.

Let him give it his all this season and then we can say our farewells. If Eastmond comes in this season it means we would already have cover.

Plus following the WC as said, there will be plenty of quality centres knocking around.