In Rugby why can’t the head coach/dor stand pitch side?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

In Rugby why can’t the head coach/dor stand pitch side?

Post by JP14 »

Even though I hate football, I have occasionally watch the World Cup on the TV and I’ve always wondered as to why in rugby why is there no manager box? Why does all the communication with the team have to be done through the assistant coach, medics and water boys? Apparently the coaches were allowed to stand pitch side back in the good old days, so why the change? Bloodgate? Can someone please enlighten me?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: In Rugby why can’t the head coach/dor stand pitch side?

Post by RagingBull »

I always just assumed it was because it gave them the best vantage point?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:39 am Even though I hate football, I have occasionally watch the World Cup on the TV and I’ve always wondered as to why in rugby why is there no manager box? Why does all the communication with the team have to be done through the assistant coach, medics and water boys? Apparently the coaches were allowed to stand pitch side back in the good old days, so why the change? Bloodgate? Can someone please enlighten me?
It’s not that they’re not allowed to, it’s more that they get a lot of information from the analysts on their lap tops and are able to see replays etc so being in the stands is more convenient
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:39 am Even though I hate football, I have occasionally watch the World Cup on the TV and I’ve always wondered as to why in rugby why is there no manager box? Why does all the communication with the team have to be done through the assistant coach, medics and water boys? Apparently the coaches were allowed to stand pitch side back in the good old days, so why the change? Bloodgate? Can someone please enlighten me?
The number of people allowed in the Technical area (Pitchside) is restricted and is limited under Premiership rules, hence the DOR tends to be the one who is up in the stands. This does give a better view and they are in communication with all staff who are pitchside.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Much easier to get a proper tactical view from the sideline in football with players spread behind and in front of the ball.
Many rugby coaches actually prefer the view from behind the posts over the sideline but the higher up stands offer a better all round tactical view.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 am Much easier to get a proper tactical view from the sideline in football with players spread behind and in front of the ball.
Many rugby coaches actually prefer the view from behind the posts over the sideline but the higher up stands offer a better all round tactical view.
Agreed. Much better to watch a game from a reasonable height behind the sticks
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think it's so the DoR is better able to hear the comments from the more knowledgeable fans; discuss the merits of their suggestions and act more seamlessly on their advice.

You're welcome!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

This thread has confirmed my suspicions; we really are in the "silly season"!!
Soggypitch
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:38 pm This thread has confirmed my suspicions; we really are in the "silly season"!!
:smt003 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

thanks I guess now it makes sense that you do get a better look from the stands.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Correct,I had a ticket for many years in the Goldsmith albeit to start with two rows up from the pitch so my son could interact with the players who were within touching distance when warming up. As he got older and moved onto other things I stayed there with my father but moved higher up. Can't stand halfway line expensive seats,not good for watching the game at all.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:54 am I think it's so the DoR is better able to hear the comments from the more knowledgeable fans; discuss the merits of their suggestions and act more seamlessly on their advice.

You're welcome!
Thanks Strawclearer. That's cleared up for me why MOC's decisions seemed quite clueless at times. He obviously had Ellis9 in one ear and Rugbyflanker in the other. :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

If only he'd have listened to me ay! 😂😂😂
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 pm If only he'd have listened to me ay! 😂😂😂
He'd have been sacked by now if he had!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:54 am I think it's so the DoR is better able to hear the comments from the more knowledgeable fans; discuss the merits of their suggestions and act more seamlessly on their advice.

You're welcome!
Thanks Strawclearer. That's cleared up for me why MOC's decisions seemed quite clueless at times. He obviously had Ellis9 in one ear and Rugbyflanker in the other. :smt003
Didn't have me in his ear. We'd have done better if he had! :smt023