Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2018-19

Post by ellis9 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am
ellis9 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:39 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:55 pm Saying that your comment is pointless doesn’t mean that you’re aren’t allowed it was just unnecessary of you, your stiring up beef for yourself all the time!
It wasn't unnecessary. You said Sales team looks good on paper, I responded by saying ours is better. Why is mine pointless but yours isn't? We said the same thing but about different teams.
Ellis9, the comment about Sale's team was highly relevant as the discussion at the time was about Ashton going there. You comment about Tigers was tenuous to what had been being discussed and was effectively changing what was on discussion. I doubt that anyone disagrees with your comment, but it does rather sidetrack the topic which is supposed to be about teams other than Tigers.
Apologies. My conversational qualities are obviously far too complex for people. :smt023
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Making friends again Ellis I see 😂
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The two playmakers doesn't work??
Lynagh & Horan.
Merthens & Carter.
Carter & Mauger.
The present All blacks who have all sorts.
If MT was still in Aus, he would be playing 12 with Foley at 10.
Perhaps in the NH we have players who are all crash & bash with little skill. It is easier to run through a gap than through a player.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think the two pivots can, and does work, but you need someone else with them to straighten things up. Sometimes the second pivot is at 12, sometimes one place wider at 13, sometimes at fullback.
Australia use Foley at 10 and Beale at 12, but have Kuridrani and Folau to inject the hard running.
Sarries use Farell at 10 and Goode at 15, but have Barritt and Bosch in midfield to straighten things up.
Exeter have Simmonds/Steenson at 10 and Slade at 13, with Hill at 12 and Turner at 15 who bring some direct lines.
What England don't currently have is Tuilagi or Teo. Even Joseph can go a bit lateral at times, and Brown doesn't have the top end speed from 15 to bridge the gap.
Having Ford, Farrell and Slade, they're all competing to be the playmaker, and move the ball, but nobody is capable of straightening the attack, in order to fix the defenders.
In terms of ability and calibre, they're good, but the balance is all wrong.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I should've explained myself better but that's exactly what I meant,2 playmakers are useless without direct carriers. Thanks FRUM! I've give many examples myself of MF today at every level which have a carrier at 12 or 13. Balance is absolute key,its what I keep telling Ellis when he just shoehorns players in at the very expense of balance. To have a top team the most important qualities are to have a balanced MF and a balanced BR,if they don't gel forget it! Interesting that the best team of this generation had
Carter,Nonu,Smith
Kaino,McCaw,Read
Now these were world class players in their own right but the balance was just incredible,as complimentary a MF and BR you will ever see!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perhaps a Mf of Cipriani, Tuilagi and Trinder for the WC? If those two centres are fit of course.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Equally the best team of my generation was Englands RWC winning team.
Wilkinson pulled the strings, Greenwood added the playmaking subtly, and Tindall offered the direct alternative.
Equally the back row balance of Hill, Back and Dallaglio was as good as any you'll ever see. Relentless workhorse, dynamic ball playing jackal, and bruising carrier.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Balance and Complementarity - you have to have the first but also the actual individuals have to gel. This has been my boeuf about our MF - just don't think it gels that well, yet a second string 9/10 like Shazam and MT does - but then that might be when direct runners like Tait and Holmes are around. It may also be because the superior player consistently plays what is in front of them and sees plays that others don't - which is why To'omua for me is superior to Ford, who sometimes seems trammelled by the playbook. Back row......we don't know until the season begins to unfold, but BOC/Evans have to be there at 7.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

As per jgriffin is spot on in my opinion.
For me I think Union can learn something from league in understanding individual player traits and roles within teams.
All players at the top level should be good enough to act as the pivot when required, if they can't then they shouldn't be playing international rugby in my opinion.
I think in union the classic stand off is often misunderstood.
As jgriffin mentions players like Toomua play what is in front of them.
Farrell used to be more of a stand off when he was younger but has developed more ability to play what is in front of him with experience and he obviously has a bit of physical ability that has enabled him to push on into those running channels and develop this, and he has also had the luxuries of players like Brad Barritt, and Tuilagi in the past, to hit the breakdown when he has chosen the wrong heads up option.
Ford is a classic stand off in my opinion, he needs runners to pick out and he has the ability to do just that and arguably on his best day is better than Toomua and Farrell at this.
They are all good players but with different traits, Toomua looks the most complete to me.
I recall one England game when Lozowski came on and completely changed the team dynamic for the better, how professional coaches fail to recognise these things and get a better balance is just baffling!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

A bit of Beaudan Barrett
https://t.co/RZkJube3st
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Samu Manoa to Cardiff
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:05 am Samu Manoa to Cardiff
Even at 33 that'd be a great signing for them. Saints fans might be questioning why he's not returning to the Gardens as they still haven't signed a replacement for Picamoles.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:05 am Samu Manoa to Cardiff
Even at 33 that'd be a great signing for them. Saints fans might be questioning why he's not returning to the Gardens as they still haven't signed a replacement for Picamoles.
Probably relishes the prospect of playing in the European games and being wheeled out for only a handful of Pro 14 matches, including away trips to SA. Get plenty of rest and recuperation :smt002 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not sure where to put this but rumours are NDC in Wales are to be scrapped and replace by full regional contracts.