Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2018-19

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2018-19

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Varies club by club. I know clubs a level or two below that who do pay, albeit only a nominal amount, not a full salary.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

1989Tiger wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:11 am
Bungle178 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:04 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Interesting! I wonder how that works financially as his current wages must be way more than Burton's entire operating budget.
I was thinking the same. Does the average player even get played at that level? I know a few players a tier or two down who don't.

I imagine it may not go down to well with a few of the current squad.
They shouldn’t get paid as they are amateur clubs.
You could say that but practically every club in the Lancashire, Yorkshire and Nottingham region top flight amateur cricket leagues are paid and several clubs in the past and present in local cricket have and still do pay players - whether directly or through benefactors. I can't imagine that rugby is vastly different tbh
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Clubs offering perks as opposed to salaries.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:45 pm Clubs offering perks as opposed to salaries.
Exactly this. Just been talking to a bloke who works with some of the Burton management. Bosch’s deal with Burton is negligible in terms of professional rugby player salary, but it’s other opportunities outside of rugby which make it more attractive.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Hurts me to say but I'm of the opinion that Sarries a the best English team of all time, Bath, Wasps and Tigers have all had their time as dominant teams but none of those teams can compare with Sarries.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree 100% Dan,theyve overtaken us now.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Different times.
Although pretty easy to compare them, Sarries are good but not that much better than when we or Wasps was in our primes. (People forget how good those teams where just because of how long ago it was)

Although when has Bath ever been dominant at Europe?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

You could compare Bath with Saints more tbh
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:10 pm Different times.
Although pretty easy to compare them, Sarries are good but not that much better than when we or Wasps was in our primes. (People forget how good those teams where just because of how long ago it was)

Although when has Bath ever been dominant at Europe?
I've always said you should not compare teams from different eras, but what is really noticeable about Saracens is their level of fitness, it allows them to perform at full intensity for 80 mins.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's hard to do,I mean my favourite team ever was obviously the RWC winning England side but would it beat the AB vintage of McCaw,Kano,Read,Nonu,Smith,Carter etc?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sale just announced the signing of Coenie Oosthuizen. Suspect that’s a replacement for the Kitshoff deal that fell through.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SaleSharksRu ... gr%5Etweet
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 am
1989Tiger wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:11 am
Bungle178 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:04 am

I was thinking the same. Does the average player even get played at that level? I know a few players a tier or two down who don't.

I imagine it may not go down to well with a few of the current squad.
They shouldn’t get paid as they are amateur clubs.
You could say that but practically every club in the Lancashire, Yorkshire and Nottingham region top flight amateur cricket leagues are paid and several clubs in the past and present in local cricket have and still do pay players - whether directly or through benefactors. I can't imagine that rugby is vastly different tbh
In that case, they’re not amateur, technically.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Season just finished there were 3 Leicestershire teams in national 2 north, the level above Burton, all of who were paying players. One was through a business set up within the club to provide funds, One was paying through a sponsors business and they were listed as employees, and the third via a private individual.

The league that Burton are in I would say the majority of clubs will be paying at least some of their players, and will certainly be paying their Head Coach.

It is well known that a very well known club, just south of Leicestershire, have been poaching players from National league sides, offering decent sums for next season, and they are a level below Burton.

National 2 is the 4th level of English rugby, equivalent football would be Division 2. I have no problem with players being paid, as long as it isn’t to the detriment of the whole club, which in some cases it is.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Quade Cooper to Quins?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Scott is this just a rumour or do you have a source?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!