Are the rules regarding the Champions Cup a joke?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rich1576

Are the rules regarding the Champions Cup a joke?

Post by rich1576 »

Why do we have to have all these rules surrounding the draw of the European cups. Does it really matter if we get the unlikely result of 4 English clubs in one pool. Just by looking at the clubs in each tier and applying the rules around it, you could have almost predicted what Tigers' pool was going to look like before the draw even took place. Getting rid of these rules would completely make the draw and competition more exciting.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Are the rules regarding the Champions Cup a joke?

Post by chris111 »

rich1576 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:54 pm Why do we have to have all these rules surrounding the draw of the European cups. Does it really matter if we get the unlikely result of 4 English clubs in one pool. Just by looking at the clubs in each tier and applying the rules around it, you could have almost predicted what Tigers' pool was going to look like before the draw even took place. Getting rid of these rules would completely make the draw and competition more exciting.
I think it would matter a great deal if the draw produced an all-English group - and why on earth should anyone expect a draw to be exciting? It’s just a means to an end, and the excitement (hopefully!) will come in the games - especially those against teams from different leagues.

As an afterthought, you’re clearly more mathematically-minded than I am - I read the rules and wouldn’t have a clue who we might face!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

The broadcaster and sponsors (and a lot of fans) want pools which are mixed across the 3 leagues. So that's what we get. There have to be some rules in place to guarantee that. Agreed there are other possibilities for the rules, but that's what they have gone with.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I think they're pretty much right as is. It'd be a bit poor if Leicester ended up in a group with Saracens Exeter and Bath.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

The only bit I don't 'like' (though I understand the mechanism) is keeping PRO14 teams from the same country apart, but especially when Tier 4 teams were drawn. If French Tier 4 clubs can be drawn to play other French clubs, and English Tier 4 clubs can be drawn to play other English clubs, why oh why should Irish Provinces and Welsh Regions be kept separate?

When it gets to Tier 4 then it should just be pot luck, If Cardiff get Scarlets or Leinster or Munster get Ulster...so what?, it should be totally random at the last Tier.

Other than that, I guess it's about the best it can be.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:28 pm The only bit I don't 'like' (though I understand the mechanism) is keeping PRO14 teams from the same country apart, but especially when Tier 4 teams were drawn. If French Tier 4 clubs can be drawn to play other French clubs, and English Tier 4 clubs can be drawn to play other English clubs, why oh why should Irish Provinces and Welsh Regions be kept separate?

When it gets to Tier 4 then it should just be pot luck, If Cardiff get Scarlets or Leinster or Munster get Ulster...so what?, it should be totally random at the last Tier.

Two possible reasons and probably a combination of both.

1. There are more French and English clubs than groups so there has to be some doubling up there.
2. If, say, both Scots teams qualified, would it be OK if they both ended up in the same group? Not really.

I think they try to keep teams from the same country apart as much as possible.
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

Does anyone know why Bath were not allowed to be put in our pool?
Sarra Elgan said before tier 4 were drawn something about now english and Pro 14 teams may be put together but when Bath came out she said they couldn't be put in pool 4 because of a potential future clash.
I didn't understand that...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:28 pm The only bit I don't 'like' (though I understand the mechanism) is keeping PRO14 teams from the same country apart, but especially when Tier 4 teams were drawn. If French Tier 4 clubs can be drawn to play other French clubs, and English Tier 4 clubs can be drawn to play other English clubs, why oh why should Irish Provinces and Welsh Regions be kept separate?

1. There are more French and English clubs than groups so there has to be some doubling up there.
2. If, say, both Scots teams qualified, would it be OK if they both ended up in the same group? Not really.

As I said, I understand it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

clarkey80 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am Does anyone know why Bath were not allowed to be put in our pool?
Sarra Elgan said before tier 4 were drawn something about now english and Pro 14 teams may be put together but when Bath came out she said they couldn't be put in pool 4 because of a potential future clash.
If Bath had been put in Leicester's pool, Ulster would have had to go into Leinster's pool.
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

biffer wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 pm
clarkey80 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am Does anyone know why Bath were not allowed to be put in our pool?
If Bath had been put in Leicester's pool, Ulster would have had to go into Leinster's pool.
Ah thanks.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am

As I said, I understand it.
You said you understood the mechanism, but were querying why. I gave possible reasons for the why, with no explanation of the mechanics.