Eng vs Barbarians

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Eng vs Barbarians

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Baxter England coach? Lol were folk crying for Cockers,O Shea or Mallinder?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:39 pm Baxter England coach? Lol were folk crying for Cockers,O Shea or Mallinder?
O'Shea- No. He reaped the benefits of Dean Richards hard work.

Mallinder- No. One season wonder.

Cockerill- Yes. Consistent DOR and won a number of trophies.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

ellis9 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:40 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:39 pm Baxter England coach? Lol were folk crying for Cockers,O Shea or Mallinder?
And oversaw a gradual decline in performance, squad quality to a point where we were/are uncompetitive in comparison to the top teams in England and Europe.

As a counterpoint to your fairly myopic view.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Players who played well in yesterday’s defeat:
  • Jack Singleton
  • Tom Curry
  • George Ford
  • Cipriani’s Cameo
  • Genge’s Cameo
  • Elliott Stooke
  • Piers Francis
  • Elliot Daly
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Whenever I’ve seen Stooke play, I’ve always been impressed by him. Would love to see him in a Tigers shirt.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:07 am
And oversaw a gradual decline in performance, squad quality to a point where we were/are uncompetitive in comparison to the top teams in England and Europe.

As a counterpoint to your fairly myopic view.
On the other side of the coin, perhaps he did a very good job in getting us in to the top 4 with what we had compared to other teams. Our first season of not having him as coach or DOR has seen us not make the top 4.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 am Players who played well in yesterday’s defeat:
  • Jack Singleton
  • Tom Curry
  • George Ford
  • Cipriani’s Cameo
  • Genge’s Cameo
  • Elliott Stooke
  • Piers Francis
  • Elliot Daly
Francis look good in attack but bar 1 great tackle at the start of the game was non existent after that, it wasn’t like he was play against a Nonu of someone he was against Matavesi, our lack of depth at inside centre is really troubling, and again come down to eddie trying to develop 18-19 year for 5 years from now instead players for now. Although I can only really think of Sam Hill, Ryan Mills and Sam James although he’s now off to Ireland.
Curry, Singleton and Stooke definitely look good prospects, I think Curry has got to be close to a start over Robshaw with his defence and breakdown work.
I Daly was our best player by a mile and has to start in centre he gave us nearly all our go forward ball,
I though Genge tried a bit to hard to make something happen but he’s world class and you could tell they where worried about him.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

You’re right although that’s a bit harsh on Matavesi, he’s still a really good player.

Wilson came on and did well, he should start over Robshaw in 2 weeks time.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stephen18 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 am
JP14 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 am Players who played well in yesterday’s defeat:
  • Jack Singleton
  • Tom Curry
  • George Ford
  • Cipriani’s Cameo
  • Genge’s Cameo
  • Elliott Stooke
  • Piers Francis
  • Elliot Daly
Francis look good in attack but bar 1 great tackle at the start of the game was non existent after that, it wasn’t like he was play against a Nonu of someone he was against Matavesi, our lack of depth at inside centre is really troubling, and again come down to eddie trying to develop 18-19 year for 5 years from now instead players for now. Although I can only really think of Sam Hill, Ryan Mills and Sam James although he’s now off to Ireland.
Curry, Singleton and Stooke definitely look good prospects, I think Curry has got to be close to a start over Robshaw with his defence and breakdown work.
I Daly was our best player by a mile and has to start in centre he gave us nearly all our go forward ball,
I though Genge tried a bit to hard to make something happen but he’s world class and you could tell they where worried about him.
Sam James isn't off to Ireland. Two of his Sale academy product team mates are but he isn't one of them. I think he's also been capped by England Saxons. I have no idea why he hasn't been given a shot, he's big, strong, quick and has played flyhalf at Champions Cup level so has the skillset.

What worries me is the backrow. Robshaw was awful yesterday, Haskell is largely past it now due to accumulation of injuries and nearly all of our other options have next to no experience. Wilson, Armand and Shields all need game time this summer.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Armand was none existent in the AP final,rather take Ewers. Has anyone been called up for Willis yet?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

England were ownedazzled.
It's misleading to believe that the skills on show are a Barbarian only approach as the likes of Tipuric have been displaying those kind of skills all of their playing days and he made Curry look very ordinary as an attacking force in my opinion.
In all round terms of defence and attack and potentially winning a World Cup only Elliot Daly came out of yesterday's game with any credit banked in my opinion.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Thought Ford and May were good too,Ford outstanding defensively at times and May saved us a couple of times too, although I was half cut! Haha
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:21 am Armand was none existent in the AP final,rather take Ewers. Has anyone been called up for Willis yet?
True, I’m sure Jones did call up Ewers a bit ago before the infamous Taekwon-do session happened.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Superbru is over,I finished 10th in the world,4th in the UK and 2nd ok here. Congratulations P.C!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:07 am
That was the fault of the Board and the recruitment. Cockers tried to work miracles
As a counterpoint to your fairly myopic view!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.