Kicking stats for the season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Kicking stats for the season

Post by Soggypitch »

I too would like to see Owen W back at Tigers as back up to GF, but as you say only at a reasonable salary.
Soggypitch
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 am
JP14 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 am Farrell is only ahead of Ford as he’s scored more tries and Saracens have thumped Northampton twice this season whereas we on the other hand....
Then Golden Boot doesn't include tries. It is based on kicks only.
Oh my mistake sorry
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Burtonbelle

Post by Burtonbelle »

Yes I remember Owen Williams performances at Tigers very well, shame he went to Glous. on about £400k. played for Wales 2/3 times and then vanished from the Welsh squad and unbelievably from the Glous. team for tonights final. He must have fallen out bigtime with them. Still in contract there but I feel sure a return to the "green green grass of home" beckons.
Yes I would welcome him back at Tigers as 2nd 10/ centre in place of J Ford but not at that salary.

Agree with above wholeheartedly - would have Williams back in a beat!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I agree he seems far too good to be #2 in the pecking order...which sadly is why he probably wouldn’t come back to Tigers.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

drc_007 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 am Whilst 55 m penalties are spectacular to watch they still only count for the same number of points as one taken from in front of the posts.

They do, but if you have a rangey kicker like Daly or Bosch (or Goode or Stimpson), you can elect to attempt them. That then gives the opposition some thing to think about, particularly in a close match with little time to go.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Never understood the admiring comments about Owen Williams. His stats from the tee were adequate, touch kicking poor, tactical kicking awful, game-management non-existent, passing bad, and the only time I ever saw him attempt a cross-field kick to the wing he kicked into the back of the Mattioli Woods stand! Gloucester don't use him; Wales gave him a run out in two minor games at centre, and nothing else. Cockerill thought the sun shone from his every orifice, but his judgement was questionable at best. Many of us were glad to see him go. Williams stands as much chance of playing stand-off for Wales as I do, and I'm English!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Baz wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:45 am Never understood the admiring comments about Owen Williams. His stats from the tee were adequate, touch kicking poor, tactical kicking awful, game-management non-existent, passing bad, and the only time I ever saw him attempt a cross-field kick to the wing he kicked into the back of the Mattioli Woods stand! Gloucester don't use him; Wales gave him a run out in two minor games at centre, and nothing else. Cockerill thought the sun shone from his every orifice, but his judgement was questionable at best. Many of us were glad to see him go. Williams stands as much chance of playing stand-off for Wales as I do, and I'm English!
What Williams were you watching then? I went to most games the two seasons before last.Touch kicking poor? You lost me there.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Baz

Post by Baz »

jgriffin "What Williams were you watching then? I went to most games the two seasons before last.Touch kicking poor? You lost me there."

I was watching THE Owen Williams! My abiding memory of him will be the groans around me whenever he ran onto the pitch! In my 63 years as a Tigers fan, he was the worst fly-half I can remember. Nice lad, but, as a stand-off NBG. Earned his well-deserved obscurity.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Baz wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:45 am Williams stands as much chance of playing stand-off for Wales as I do, and I'm English!
He'd have to switch codes first. Isn't stand-off a Rugby League position? It's an idea for him though.
Baz

Post by Baz »

ourla " Isn't stand-off a Rugby League position? "

Stand-off is the traditional RU term for a fly-half.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Baz wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:27 am jgriffin "What Williams were you watching then? I went to most games the two seasons before last.Touch kicking poor? You lost me there."

I was watching THE Owen Williams! My abiding memory of him will be the groans around me whenever he ran onto the pitch! In my 63 years as a Tigers fan, he was the worst fly-half I can remember. Nice lad, but, as a stand-off NBG. Earned his well-deserved obscurity.
Wasn't that creative, and struggled on close kicks, but at the same time brilliant boot on him, excellent from hand and very good in defense.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Owen Williams was a fine player for us and competed well for the Fly-half, 10, Stand-off position all Rugby Union terms of long standing (although 10 is a bit modern brought in to replace J). I was sorry to see him leave but the money offered was too good for him to turn down, at the time I wondered why Gloucester wanted him when they already had Billy Burns and Twelvetrees now they have added Cipriani, good luck to them! I would welcome a return to Tigers for Owen as midfield cover but I don't think we can afford him and I am convinced that Hardwick and Worth offer adequate cover in that area and probably take up less of the cap than Owen W would.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TTRITH wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 am
Baz wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:27 am jgriffin "What Williams were you watching then? I went to most games the two seasons before last.Touch kicking poor? You lost me there."

Wasn't that creative, and struggled on close kicks, but at the same time brilliant boot on him, excellent from hand and very good in defense.
Agree with that assessment :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Worst fly half you can remember?! Seriously???? Sure, he was no Stransky or Jaco vdW, but worse fly half - come on, get a grip!
Baz

Post by Baz »

jgriffin

I stand by what I said; name a worse one for Tigers. Front-line, that is. The ball never went where he intended it to.