Holmes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Holmes

Post by RagingBull »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm Well it was a saints v Quins A league so how much does it really help?
I am not really sure what you mean by this!
Do you mean Saints and Quins aren't that good as that's the impression I am getting from your comment, because if they aren't that good then surely if ours are that good by comparison then they should be beating them!
I'm not going to but I could list a full side of young names being regularly called for inclusion in the 1st team, that being the case surely it's fair to expect a consistent level of high performance in the A League.
Leicester used to do quite well in the A league and I thought it was a good sign of the strength in depth, it bred winners.
[/quote]

My point is people want to compare us to Exeter and Sarries not Quins and Saints both had even worse seasons than us and both are playing challenge cup rugby despite being the 2 finalists.

We did do well till the U20's got called up the likes of Hardwick, Olowofela, Simmons, White, Reffell all looked good and we got 3 TBP wins in 5 games only losing to a Saints team who where playing their 2nd XV pretty much, then the U20's calls ups happened and we lost the bulk of our squad and played the students in their fill.

The likes of Exeter and Sarries used it as a injury comeback/Development competition the likes of Saints and Quins used it to play their 2nd XV on the whole so which one is better?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The bottom line is that folk are claiming our development is packed with high quality that should be getting 1st team chances and yet at the same time grumble about Saints playing a 2nd team in the A league.
Doesn't really make sense but sums some things up for me, in particular losing becoming more acceptable.
Last edited by BFG on Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I don't read too much into the A league,its a lesser standard than the AWC imo. I'm interested to see what happens now it's been scrapped but fully expect PRL to muck it up!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am I don't read too much into the A league,its a lesser standard than the AWC imo. I'm interested to see what happens now it's been scrapped but fully expect PRL to muck it up!
That sums up what I can't fathom.
If it's a lesser standard and they are packed with such high quality deserving of 1st team chances then surely they should be winning at a lesser standard.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just because a team loses doesn't mean there isn't any quality though....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am Just because a team loses doesn't mean there isn't any quality though....
Sorry but in terms of competition that makes absolutely no sense to me, are you dismissing the desire to win as a quality?
Some of the most average players have been some of the best simply because they wanted to win more!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Like I said before there are WC winning u20 players who can't even get in their club sides such is the step up.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm Like I said before there are WC winning u20 players who can't even get in their club sides such is the step up.
To bring the debate full circle and back on topic we have Jonah Holmes who has never pulled on an international shirt at age grade and yet is an extremely high quality player.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am Just because a team loses doesn't mean there isn't any quality though....
Sorry but in terms of competition that makes absolutely no sense to me, are you dismissing the desire to win as a quality?
Some of the most average players have been some of the best simply because they wanted to win more!
But i'm not saying that am I.