Youngs
Ford
Daly
Farrell
Teo
May
Brown

Just because we've got all these new kids don't expect
EJ to deviate too much from his path after losing 3 on the trot!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tour to SA

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 am Who's that at captain? ;)

Likely team
Vunipola
George
Williams
Itoje
Launchbury
Shields
Robshaw
Billy
Youngs
Ford
Daly
Farrell
Teo
May
Brown

Dullsville, but probably true. :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 am Who's that at captain? ;)

Likely team
Vunipola
George
Williams
Itoje
Launchbury
Shields
Robshaw
Billy
Youngs
Ford
Daly
Farrell
Teo
May
Brown

Eddie Jones has said Shields is an excellent understudy to Robshaw so I don't think he will start both.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I don't believe Eddie for a second,who else could start,unless it's the dreaded lock and 6 again! There's no way he starts Curry or Willis in SA or converts Simmonds to 7 so only other option is Wilson imo.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am Not massively impressed TBH, Woodward, BOC, Trinder, Armand plus possibly others...but EJ seems fixated on certain players and blind to others IMO.
I can see some of the choices, but ....... cup-tying Shields must be his wish, so the NZ moan is just that.
I've completely lost interest in England rugby.
I really couldn't give a monkeys at present.
Overseas rejects and mercenaries and silver spooned rookies who have not earned the right have done for me.
It's saddening because there are some really good English players in that squad and around the league.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:23 am
jgriffin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am Not massively impressed TBH, Woodward, BOC, Trinder, Armand plus possibly others...but EJ seems fixated on certain players and blind to others IMO.
I can see some of the choices, but ....... cup-tying Shields must be his wish, so the NZ moan is just that.
Overseas rejects and mercenaries and silver spooned rookies who have not earned the right have done for me.
It's saddening because there are some really good English players in that squad and around the league.
I don’t get why Jones keeps picking these apprentice players. No other team does anything like that probably because it doesn’t work. Feel for the players who deserves to be in that squad on form, it doesn’t send out a great signal.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:30 am
I don’t get why Jones keeps picking these apprentice players. No other team does anything like that probably because it doesn’t work. Feel for the players who deserves to be in that squad on form, it doesn’t send out a great signal.
So just because no one else does it, we shouldn't?!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cole gets an essential rest - as does Spencer. Good.

O'Connor ignored - as is Evans (although I don't agree with the 'apprentice' process anyway). Not so good.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:30 am
New Zealand use the idea of Apprentice Players, it does work however they should be add on extra players not taking the place of other players
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

That's a very strong squad. With a world cup a year away I would of wanted to give the current 1st team a break, so they don't burn out a year from now.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

drc_007 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 am Wasps fly-half Danny Cipriani has been included in a 34-man England squad for the tour of South Africa in June.

Owen Farrell has been named captain with hooker Dylan Hartley unavailable.

There are seven uncapped players in Eddie Jones' squad including Sale back Cameron Redpath, Wasps flanker Jack Willis and New Zealand-born flanker Brad Shields.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44066387
Does this mean that Cipriani is not going to France? or is this going to be a 1 tour and then dropped, because he is abroad?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:59 pm
drc_007 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 am Wasps fly-half Danny Cipriani has been included in a 34-man England squad for the tour of South Africa in June.

Owen Farrell has been named captain with hooker Dylan Hartley unavailable.

There are seven uncapped players in Eddie Jones' squad including Sale back Cameron Redpath, Wasps flanker Jack Willis and New Zealand-born flanker Brad Shields.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44066387
Does this mean that Cipriani is not going to France? or is this going to be a 1 tour and then dropped, because he is abroad?
I'd like to think Eddie Jones has spoken to Cipriani about this. If he is going to be playing his rugby in England, then fine, pick him. If he is going to be playing outside of England, then it's pointless to have included him in the squad.

EDIT: I've just seen an interview with Jones. He shares my sentiments. If Cipriani wants to play for England then he needs to stay in England. If he doesn't want to play for England, then he can go and eat sushi with chopsticks.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Department of the bleeding obvious? ;)
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm Department of the bleeding obvious? ;)
No. Jones may have had a conversation with Cipriani who may have said he will be joining an overseas club but Jones said he will pick him for this squad but not afterwards.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Very disappointed with this squad if honest, the world cup is next year not 2021...

Centre is still a massive issue with no clear 12/13 combo of note
Backrow is still at 6's and 7's- Armand, BOC or even Ross are great players somehow not needed?
The lack of Woodward at fullback is very odd considering Mike Brown will be 34 by the RWC

On the positive at least we will hopefully get to see if Cipriani deserves to be in the England 10 conversation or if the Ford/Farrell monopoly is deserved