Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tour to SA

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 pm Also think Jones made a massive error in axing Burrell from the squad in favour of Te’o. Whilst he’s not the best player, he’s got international experience and offers something different to the backs we have. A lump who can crash the ball off the 12 channel.
He did try Burrell to be fair, he just saw enough after 20 minutes against Australia
Yeah but without someone like that we’re so limited with the backs. Granted Tuilagi would be the ideal crash ball merchant, but will we ever see him in an England shirt again?
Burrell and Tuilagi would be an improvement, at least England would be looking to make effective line breaks with them, but I think Lozowski deserves a proper shot at it.
At the moment I can't believe what I am seeing with England replicating Sarries and Exeter, it won't work at international level as top international teams are too good for that, that is why I believe that beyond the bludgeoning of the first 20-30 minutes England often fall away.
Tom Croft used to get stick off fans of other clubs for the type of flanker he was but they completely missed the point, he split the pitch much like the All Blacks often do.
England really need something different.
I'd like to see Paul Hill brought back into the fold as Cole's understudy and see if they can get him developing towards Cole's level at the scrum because he is a good young tight head prop in my opinion.
Also experiment with some other locks and bring in more wide attacking threats on the back row and split that pitch up into attacking channels.
Several of the current forwards although they are good players not enough are bringing an added attacking threat in the channels.
I'm watching players like Curry who are working very hard but offering little else.
It's all left to the backs to produce attacking shapes right in front of teams presently and that's a big ask to keep producing in just one area.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Curry has made some good line breaks in an England shirt as he attacks the space rather than running directly into the opposing players. Thinks he offers a good attacking threat, very much like BOC in that sense.

But yeah agree, especially with Ford and Farrell both on the pitch, England could do so much more in splitting the field and attacking either side of the ruck.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

BFG talks a lot of sense. Paul Hills is a fine tighthead superior to Sinkler and better than Kieran Brookes even if Mallinder and West did not think so. The Curry boys are promising young players that could develop to offer something different given the right coaching. It really is time to forget Robshaw and Haskell from back row consideration they have been good servants but their time is done. In the backs we really need to be putting out a settled formation not experimenting with centre/wingers being selected at fullback and aging fullbacks placed on the wing and who the heck did Alex Goode upset he should at least be an English bench player.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Paul Hill has the most potential out of the young tightheads coming through. Always played well against Tigers.

Think it’s a bit harsh to rule out Haskell completely, he still has a lot to offer in the modern game. If he smashes it for Saints next season I can see him battling with shields for the 6 shirt.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ford dropped,about time! Too little too late though now.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Main thing for us is none of the Tigers players get crocked! May is in great form, hope he continues it next season.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ford out the 23 altogether. There's a lot of talk about him being a sulker,I hope not!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am Ford out the 23 altogether. There's a lot of talk about him being a sulker,I hope not!
White wash completed on Saturday me fears :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am Ford out the 23 altogether. There's a lot of talk about him being a sulker,I hope not!
personally I hope its made him angry going into the new season
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I hope he is sulking. I would be if I had been dropped from playing for my country.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good to see Cipriani included, Hill on the bench but the inclusion of Slade still bewilders me. :smt009

Fortunately I won’t be able to witness the whitewash as I am busy.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I won't be watching this week either.
The game is a dead rubber.
Anyway I'd rather shave with a cheese grater than watch Marler and Sinckler!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

This summer tour has been a mess and almost a waste of time. All the other British teams have built their strength in depth, whilst we have learnt nothing more about England.

Why haven’t the premiership stars been given their chance to see if they can hack it at this level. Woodward, Lozowski, Robson, Simmonds and Armand have all deserved some game time, yet have been cast aside for the same old faces. Yet we’ve still lost, so no progress and doesn’t make any sense.

Would have loved to see a backline of:
Robson, Cipriani, May, Farrell, Daly, Nowell who was fit, Woodward

And if we’d lost it wouldn’t have mattered!!! Also don’t get why Slade keeps getting picked, since his horrific injury as never impressed at this level. Plus he’s never been a 13, lacks the pace.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It's pretty irrelevant who plays at fly half when your back row includes Robshaw and Hughes.

We're going to get hammered.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect We are finding that Jones can polish a team someone else has assembled but can’t assemble his own.