LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Post by Rugbyflanker »

The thing that worries me is where are these youngsters gonna get any experience? The AWC without the W isn't worth nowt! The Welsh new development sides will be playing the Irish A provinces while we will be tapping reach other on the back in a stupid,meaningless competition,we've really dropped the ball here. It only works for me if the A league is completely scrapped.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will be interesting to see how the New expanded A league works (If it does happen).

Taking away Steve Mafi from the rumours in.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:10 pm The thing that worries me is where are these youngsters gonna get any experience? The AWC without the W isn't worth nowt! The Welsh new development sides will be playing the Irish A provinces while we will be tapping reach other on the back in a stupid,meaningless competition,we've really dropped the ball here. It only works for me if the A league is completely scrapped.
Tigers need to swallow some pride and start working with the country’s junior clubs to give these youngsters valuable game time.
As well as Loughborough students in Nat 1, there are also 3 local clubs playing in Nat 2 north, level 4 of the game, who I’m sure would be happy to take players on dual registration.

Still too much of a them and us scenario maybe
TigerFranks

Post by TigerFranks »

Are there any updates on the futures of Traynor, Ryan, Brady, Mapapalangi, Pakalani and Cilliers? All were rumoured to be off at some stage on the forum but I haven't heard anything official on whether they are staying or not!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm So Thompson doesn't even get on your bench JP?
It’s difficult really to be honest, we could play O’Connor at 6 and have Evans at 7 if we wanted to. Both Thompson and Evans could go on the bench but then there’s no real lock cover. Throw in Williams and Mapapalangi and we have got some serious selection headaches. However if they move Williams to his preferred position of 4 and partner Spencer (I believe that because his Instagram is williams4_mike) and then drop Kitchener... but where is Wells going to fit in all of this. Hope Bakewell is given complete reins on pack selection because I personally hope MOC doesn’t get a say on it anymore.

This is would be my ideal team for Round 1
Gengey
TPN
Coley
Wells
Spencer
Kalamafoni
O’Connor
Denton
Youngs
Toomua
May
Owen
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

With: OTY, Cortes, Bateman, Williams, Thompson, Shazam, G.Ford & M.Tait.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Was Spencer Wuss lineout guy?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 pm Was Spencer Wuss lineout guy?
I think he did the job on occasion but O'Callaghan seemed to be in charge of the pack and lineout for the most part. Wells did the job in occasion last season and if he starts this season like how he played last season then I hope he gets the shirt and the more experienced names have to go and take it off him if they want it.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes he was, we are signing a top bloke who I think could solve our second row problems (which would’ve been solved anyway by playing Williams at 4) but I’ve got concerns over his injury issues.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm So sounds like Keston Lines has been promoted from the U18's.
Guessing Direct replacement for Betts pretty much (Although Lines more a LH).
Aye. Looking at the Development Squad last season it was TH heavy anyway with Betts, Heyes and Grahamslaw (is he still playing both sides?).
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 pm
Yes he was, we are signing a top bloke who I think could solve our second row problems (which would’ve been solved anyway by playing Williams at 4) but I’ve got concerns over his injury issues.
Yes, Spencer called the lineout for Worcester, not O’Callaghan, so could play no.5 instead of Kitchener. He is also big enough to play no.4 also for us as the enforcer. Be interesting to see who the pairing is next season but I’d bet on Spencer and Kitchener.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm So sounds like Keston Lines has been promoted from the U18's.
Guessing Direct replacement for Betts pretty much (Although Lines more a LH).
Aye. Looking at the Development Squad last season it was TH heavy anyway with Betts, Heyes and Grahamslaw (is he still playing both sides?).
Grahamslaw is a Loosehead mainly now.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Harry Wells off to Leicester Lions.
I'm not cynical just experienced
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Don’t worry he’s still a part of the squad, thank god. But still what does this mean for his chances to start this year?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:41 am Don’t worry he’s still a part of the squad, thank god. But still what does this mean for his chances to start this year?

Shouldn't mean anything Lions train at 7PM on Tuesday and Thursday.
He isn't the first or the will be the last Tigers to get a coaching role whilst still with us.

Certainly suggests he is looking at coaching as a long term option, considering he will be 25 this season if he can get 6/7 years coaching experience before he retires it could put him on good standing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

And great to see tigers players supporting the junior clubs :smt026