LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rumoured by Rugby Inside Line via Twitter that Dominic Ryan is heading to Wuss for next season. Interestingly, they did quote him as being a second row, so take from this what you will.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 pm Rumoured by Rugby Inside Line via Twitter that Dominic Ryan is heading to Wuss for next season. Interestingly, they did quote him as being a second row, so take from this what you will.....
What that they are moronic saints fans... :smt002
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

MO'C in the Mercury:

Tigers head coach is happy with the blend of experience and potential he has across the back-line.

Leicester Tigers recruitment for next season has focused very much on strengthening the forward pack.

The only back, to date, who has been brought in at Tigers is Sam Aspland-Robinson, the former England under-20s wing. Head coach Matt O'Connor believes he has cover across the backline in the squad which is taking shape for the 2018-19 season, even with wing Nick Malouf seemingly on his way back to sevens rugby with Australia.

"We are OK there," he said. "Matt Toomua did a fantastic job for us at 10 when George Ford was with England (in the Six Nations) and a fit Gareth Owen would change the the dynamic.

"There is a lot of promise," the Tigers boss added. "The two 9s (Ben White and Harry Simmons) are class acts. Jordan Olowofela has a load of potential and Jonah Holmes has demonstrated that he is going to be very good for us moving forward."

Here's the article: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-1573115

Sounds like there's nothing more to come behind the pack so, if you were hoping for a centre-signing.......nah.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

To be fair you can understand why we don’t want to bring in anymore backs for next season. We have Worth 12/13/15 and Olowfela 13/14/15 who deserve more chances in the first team. If you add them into the team we are looking well covered in the backline.

Worth especially looked good in the last two games when he came off the bench. Very composed ball in hand with good distribution.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

If you could rely on Owen and Tuilagi staying fit, it'd be a fair point that we have depth to cover 12/13 even with Toomua covering 10.
If we do stay as we are, then at least you'd expect that means more opportunities for Hardwick, Worth and Olowofela to cover 10/12/13/15.
I'd have thought with Brady and Malouf likely to be off, plus Pakalani out of contract, there'd be room for one more addition in the wing/fullback areas.

One thing I do wonder, is when these statements come out saying we expect no more additions, does that mean flat out nobody above what we already openly have, or (hoping here) nobody else after what is already signed, some of which we may not yet have announced.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Appreciate Toomua can cover 10 whilst Ford is on international duty. In such a situation if Toomua then got injured, who covers for him?
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm Appreciate Toomua can cover 10 whilst Ford is on international duty. In such a situation if Toomua then got injured, who covers for him?
I thought Gareth Owen had covered both 10 and 15 at Ospreys.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yes he does,he's a very good player and I certainly hope he's over his injury problems because he could become a key player for us. Hes not put a foot wrong in his short time with us so far and I believe a MF of Toomua, Owen,Tuilagi will shine when George is away with England.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm Appreciate Toomua can cover 10 whilst Ford is on international duty. In such a situation if Toomua then got injured, who covers for him?
England under 20s 10/12 Hardwick, George Worth who is developing into a Sam Vesty style utility back or in an emergency Joe Ford a Championship level flyhalf.

I'd prefer Hardwick he's got a good boot, he seemed happy to play on the gain line Vs Bath in the LV (where they had a massively more experienced team) and he seems physical enough for this level.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

:smt017

So we don't want competition for places, as long as people can cover when they aren't about...

I have absolute no faith in MoC using Hardwick and Worth, much the same way he sent Joe on a hiding to nothing by giving him no game time before the AIs.

The pressure needs to be on the first choice players to be at the top of their game, and that if they have poor form they can be replaced.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 am :smt017

So we don't want competition for places, as long as people can cover when they aren't about...

I have absolute no faith in MoC using Hardwick and Worth, much the same way he sent Joe on a hiding to nothing by giving him no game time before the AIs.

The pressure needs to be on the first choice players to be at the top of their game, and that if they have poor form they can be replaced.
How do you know Worth and Hardwick aren't putting/won't put that pressure on?
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ghdav27 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 am I have absolute no faith in MoC using Hardwick and Worth, much the same way he sent Joe on a hiding to nothing by giving him no game time before the AIs.
It's not a lack of faith in their ability, more of my faith in MoC to actually use them.

Thinking out loud; you wonder if it is MOC (or Cockers) or whether there is pressure to play the big names to get bums on seats.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Mike Williams rumoured "For Sale!" looks like he might unfortunately be on his way to Sale Sharks. :smt010
http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/rugb ... /20367.htm
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:53 am
ghdav27 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 am I have absolute no faith in MoC using Hardwick and Worth, much the same way he sent Joe on a hiding to nothing by giving him no game time before the AIs.
It's not a lack of faith in their ability, more of my faith in MoC to actually use them.

Thinking out loud; you wonder if it is MOC (or Cockers) or whether there is pressure to play the big names to get bums on seats.
Fair points.

I think there would be a degree if understanding of a couple of results went against us in these 'transitional seasons' we keep having if we were giving young players a go at appropriate times. At the moment we appear to prefer to go with journeymen (eg Kitchener/Fitzgerald over wells)
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

wormus wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 am Mike Williams rumoured "For Sale!" looks like he might unfortunately be on his way to Sale Sharks. :smt010
http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/rugb ... /20367.htm
Apparently this was to accommodate Mafi in the cap for next season but we are offloading other players instead of Williams now, expecting him to still be a Tiger next year