We’ve got Europe but it’s going to be tough

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: We’ve got Europe but it’s going to be tough

Post by Rugbyflanker »

True,im looking at 3 minimum and back in the playoffs next year or goodbye MoC (shouldn't be here anyway but gotta put up with him for another year!) I won't hold my breath with a historically proven regressive coach
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Maybe Tigers'll draw the Italian team. On the other hand they could quite easily get Exeter, Sarries or Wasps. I'll be very happy if they get either Toulouse or Castres as they're close by.
Whatever the draw, there'll be nothing but tough matches!
Semper in excretia
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Would you really back us to beat Treviso? They are different gravy these days. Superb season for both teams in fact but a double edged sword for COS,is he doing too much?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm Would you really back us to beat Treviso? They are different gravy these days. Superb season for both teams in fact but a double edged sword for COS,is he doing too much?
Of course!
Semper in excretia
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ask Bath how they got on this season with the guaranteed 10 points v the Italian team ;)
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm Would you really back us to beat Treviso? They are different gravy these days. Superb season for both teams in fact but a double edged sword for COS,is he doing too much?
I have a big problem with Treviso!! I remember going , the game maybe but the rest tends to be a bit of a blur!! If it turns out to be that the Tigers get them yet again, I suppose I will have to answer the call yet again!! :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Remember our great length of the field try started by a tap and go in our own 22 by BY,dont ask me the year haha
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

2015/16 I believe. Also don’t forget Bateman’s 1st try which was against Treviso in Italy
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Am I right in thinking Bath and us are bottom seeds so will possibly have one of Sarries,Chiefs, Wasps or Newcastle depending on SF/finals in each others groups considering there are 7 English sides
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 am Am I right in thinking Bath and us are bottom seeds so will possibly have one of Sarries,Chiefs, Wasps or Newcastle depending on SF/finals in each others groups considering there are 7 English sides
I don't think so, no.

The qualified teams from each of the leagues are ranked in order. That's essentially the final league table with an adjustment if the playoff winner didn't finish top of the final table - so, for example, if Newcastle win the playoffs, the English sides would be ranked: Newcastle, Exeter, Sarries, Wasps, Tigers, Bath, Gloucester (i.e. Newcastle ranked 1st and the team Newcastle beat in the final would not be ranked 2nd).

Not entirely sure on the ranking of Pro14 sides given this is the first year that they have two conferences but everything else they've ranked has been in terms of who won the most points during the season.

Let's assume that all the teams that finished top of the 3 leagues go on to win the playoffs (so there's no changes in ranking) - they'd be 4 Tiers for the Champions cup draw, made up as follows:

Tier 1: Glasgow + Exeter + Montpellier + 2 of Leinster/Sarries/Racing
Tier 2: The other 1 of Lein/Sar/Rac + Scarlets + Wasps + Toulouse + 1 of Munster/Newcastle/Toulon
Tier 3: The other 2 of Muns/Newc/Toulon + Edinburgh + Tigers + Lyon
Tier 4: Cardiff + Bath + Castres + Gloucester + Ospreys/Ulster

That assuming the Challenge Cup winner (Cardiff/Gloucester) don't get ranked any higher for the CC draw (don't think they would).

In the above scenario, we would play:

1 of Glasgow/Leinster/Scarlets/Munster (prob Munster obv)
1 of Montpellier/Racing/Toulouse/Toulon (prob Racing obv)
1 of Cardiff/Bath/Castres/Gloucester/Ulster or Ospreys

And couldn't face any of the following: Exeter/Sarries/Wasps/Newcastle/Edinburgh/Lyon.

Pretty sure we can't face any of Exeter/Sarries/Wasps/Newcastle/Edinburgh in any circumstance (given Edinburgh lost on Saturday) but if Lyon win the Top 14 playoffs we could still face them.

That's all based on the rankings and draw procedures in the last few seasons and a few other reasonable assumptions.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

My original post wrong :smt009

Leicester can’t draw anyone from the top four of the AP or Edinburgh. Apart from that it depends on the playoffs.

Leicester will definitely play one of Glasgow, Munster, Leinster or Scarlets.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I thought only the top seeded sides were seperated with no side from the same country being allowed in the same group, except where that country had 7 qualifiers.
It was a free draw after the top seeds had been allocated to a pool.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:30 pm I thought only the top seeded sides were seperated with no side from the same country being allowed in the same group, except where that country had 7 qualifiers.
It was a free draw after the top seeds had been allocated to a pool.
Draw guidelines (i.e. rules) for last season - presumably the rules will be similar for the 2018-19 draw
  • The 20 clubs will compete in five pools of four.
  • The clubs are divided into 4 Tiers based on their status as championship winners and/or on qualification positions in their league. This will be done by a draw in advance of the main Pool draw.
  • Each pool will have at least 1 club from each of the 3 leagues.
  • Each of the 5 Pools will have 1 club from each of the 4 Tiers.
  • There will be no more than 2 clubs from the same league in a Pool.
  • No Pool will contain 2 PRO12 clubs from the same country.
  • Clubs from the same league will be kept apart until the allocation of the Tier 4 clubs.
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Christophelp wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 am Am I right in thinking Bath and us are bottom seeds so will possibly have one of Sarries,Chiefs, Wasps or Newcastle depending on SF/finals in each others groups considering there are 7 English sides
The qualified teams from each of the leagues are ranked in order. That's essentially the final league table with an adjustment if the playoff winner didn't finish top of the final table - so, for example, if Newcastle win the playoffs, the English sides would be ranked: Newcastle, Exeter, Sarries, Wasps, Tigers, Bath, Gloucester (i.e. Newcastle ranked 1st and the team Newcastle beat in the final would not be ranked 2nd).
That bit in bold is wrong (from the evidence of previous years) - the runner up is ranked as 2nd.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Christophelp wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Christophelp wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 pm
That bit in bold is wrong (from the evidence of previous years) - the runner up is ranked as 2nd.
That’s correct - for example this year Toulon were ranked second despite finishing fourth int the Top14.