Next Season!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Next Season!

Post by sam16111986 »

I too expect Ford and Toomua to be at 10 and 12 for the majority of the season. I would like to see Worth and Hardwick rotated in occasionally alongside one of the two big names so that they can get some experience. They both have the skills and the size so let's develop them at 12 alongside the more established option.

Also need to keep Ford and Toomua fresh if we want to be ready for the playoffs.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

What's everyone's thoughts on Veainus understudy? I would like to see Simmons played there but would also prefer Tait or Worth before we see May there again!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

May's was something less than impressive as a fullback, the cover for that position in my opinion is Tait, Worth and Olowfela, I do agree when Simmond went there in an A league or L.V game he looked ok so he is another possible option. With Aspland- Robinson added to the squad we look to be well covered for all the backs positions unless we are seriously unlucky with injuries.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Olowofela or Steward long term options.
Short term maybe look at Aspland-Robinson potentially there (He's looking sharpe in the pre-season footage currently).

Personally I want Simmons to focus at 9, maybe as a bench option cover 10/15 if needs be.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

15. Harry Simmons
14. Sam Aspland-Robinson
13. Jordan Olowolofela
12. George Worth
11. Jonah Holmes
10. Tom Hardwick
9. Ben White
1. Ellis Genge
2. Harry Mahoney
3. Joe Heyes
4. Sam Lewis
5. Harry Wells
6. Tommy Reffell
7. Will Evans
8. Fred Tuilagi

The future is looking good, IMO.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Like to see this in the opening preseason fixture vs Cardiff (which I will be attending to):

1. Facundo Gigena (senior)
2. Harry Mahoney (development)
3. Joe Heyes (development)
4. Cameron Jordan (development)
5. Harry Wells (senior)
6. Mike Williams (senior)
7. (c) Tommy Reffell (development)
8. Fred Tuilagi (development)
9. Ben White (development
10. Tom Hardwick (development)
11. Jonah Holmes (senior)
12. Charlie Thacker (development)
13. Jordan Olowofela (devlopement)
14. Sam Apsland-Robinson (senior)
15. George Worth (development)
16. Jake Kerr (senior)
17. Gaston Cortes (senior)
18. Greg Bateman (senior)
19. Harry Wells (senior)
20. Guy Thompson (senior)
21. Harry Simmons (senior)
22. Sam Harrison (senior)
23. Matt Smith (senior)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

All being well, will be there too. hope to see a few seniors there just chillin'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 pm Like to see this in the opening preseason fixture vs Cardiff (which I will be attending to):

1. Facundo Gigena (senior)
2. Harry Mahoney (development)
3. Joe Heyes (development)
4. Cameron Jordan (development)
5. Harry Wells (senior)
6. Mike Williams (senior)
7. (c) Tommy Reffell (development)
8. Fred Tuilagi (development)
9. Ben White (development
10. Tom Hardwick (development)
11. Jonah Holmes (senior)
12. Charlie Thacker (development)
13. Jordan Olowofela (devlopement)
14. Sam Apsland-Robinson (senior)
15. George Worth (development)
16. Jake Kerr (senior)
17. Gaston Cortes (senior)
18. Greg Bateman (senior)
19. Harry Wells (senior)
20. Guy Thompson (senior)
21. Harry Simmons (senior)
22. Sam Harrison (senior)
23. Matt Smith (senior)
I'd hope to see Will Evans involved early after his surgery this summer. Get him up to speed quickly because we must have now cottoned to the fact we need an openside in the backrow at all times. We need him fit to rotate with BOC.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Don't put it past MoC playing Thompson at 7 even if Evans is fit Sam. When he was fit last season Matt still went with 3 6s!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Officially, Evans was unfit at the time I think but I’m not so sure.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm Don't put it past MoC playing Thompson at 7 even if Evans is fit Sam. When he was fit last season Matt still went with 3 6s!
What is it about Australian coaches and 7s? Have they all been traumatised by the ABs or something? BOC should not only be a fixture but also get a run at captain, for me a formidable player of near international quality that we are lucky to have. You can see the impact on attacking sides when they have to put more men in to preserve the ball, creating opportunities for us a couple of tackles down the line for a turnover.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm Don't put it past MoC playing Thompson at 7 even if Evans is fit Sam. When he was fit last season Matt still went with 3 6s!
Yeah the games with Mapapalangi at 7 were particularly painful to watch. Evans played really well when given the chance last season comfortably dispelling the myth that he's wasn't big and physical enough. Every other Aussie coach loves an openside, their national team had an entire backrow of then the other year and regularly play two now.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:31 am
What is it about Australian coaches and 7s? Have they all been traumatised by the ABs or something? BOC should not only be a fixture but also get a run at captain, for me a formidable player of near international quality that we are lucky to have. You can see the impact on attacking sides when they have to put more men in to preserve the ball, creating opportunities for us a couple of tackles down the line for a turnover.
This is so true!
I recall a while ago now watching a county youth match and one prop with exactly the same instinctive mindset as BOC putting pressure on teams resulting in the ball being won back through a turnover of any kind from the resulting phases.
You could see the puzzlement in this lad as he was told after by his clueless coach that he needed to have more impact.
I couldn't help myself but tell this coach at the first opportunity alone that he hadn't got a clue what he was watching.
I am quite enthusiastic about MOC's quite deliberate influence on the Leicester pack, it was always going to take a bit of time and still could be a little longer than some desire for but with his additions you can see the possibilities even if it's only on paper at this point.
He has a good history of involvement in helping shape good forward packs with the likes of Tadhg Furlong for example.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:18 am
Yeah the games with Mapapalangi at 7 were particularly painful to watch. Evans played really well when given the chance last season comfortably dispelling the myth that he's wasn't big and physical enough. Every other Aussie coach loves an openside, their national team had an entire backrow of then the other year and regularly play two now.
Mapapalangi never played at 7, but Hamilton did. We need to field Wells who will challenge the breakdown too, our props need to be able to challenge at the breakdown too, Cole is not as good at the breakdown as what he used to be.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Genge can be seen in a leg brace in the preseason videos and looks like he might be out to Xmas with will be a blow. Lucky that we have two quality loose heads in Bateman and Gigena.