World class skills coach required.
Make BOC captain
Play Holmes much more
Protect George Ford
Find a solid Fly Half to back up Ford
Beef the pack up which we have
Keep Manu fit.
Make Welford Road a fortress again
Build a team around Genge, this kid is going to be something special for years to come!!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Next Season!

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Come on I know MOC gets some stick on this forum but surely Murphy needs to get the axe. The skills have been awful for the last couple of years and it’s painful to watch sometimes. New skill coach is required.

Holmes is such a class player. Aged 25 so has loads of years ahead of him and is a natural finisher like Ashton. Tracks plays really well and runs such good support lines. 12 tries in 12 appearances I think for us.

Maybe taken this season to settle but should be firing next.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sat May 05, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Settled straight away,was just criminally underplayed!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If we can improve handling skills and keep key players fit, we will be comfortably in the playoffs next season.

Reasons to be positive:
BOC, Genge and Toomua are top class players.
Manu still has the potential to be something special, and has managed more games this year than for a long time.
Ben Youngs and George Ford can still form an international quality partnership.
Holmes could become a Premiership star.
Veainu's feet.
The new 2nd row and back row signings should beef up our pack.
Our scrum is probably the best there is again.
The lineout might even be improving.

Reasons to worry:
BOC and Genge might disappear with England.
Manu might get injured again.
Veainu's tackling.
Can we get the best out of GF and Toomua when they're both on the pitch?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

There are definitely loads of reasons to be positive.

The front row as a unit is the best in the league. The scrum as a result is also the best in the league and no doubt this will continue into next season.

The back 5 has been a problem this season. But with Mafi, Spencer, Thompson and Denton coming in this should hopefully be rectified.

We now also know our best backline combination being Youngs Ford May Toomua Tuilagi Holmes Veainu and with a season behind them should be better for it.

Also feel the academy lads in Wells Evans Simmons Worth will all have much more impact next season. Worth and Evans have been really good off the bench over the last 6 weeks when given the chance. Hardwick White and Olowfela also coming through nicely. None of the core Tigers squad are leaving too and have all been given new contracts this season.

Plus I’ve no doubt we still have some more signings to be announced. The squad is much stronger for next season than it has been for this season and we still made 5th spot.

We have a good squad who’ve underachieved this year. The premiership is more competitive now than it has ever been. We’ve had some real class players this season in BOC, Genge and Toomua who in my mind are all best in the premiership in their positions.

Ford, Youngs and Cole maybe haven’t hit the standards they are used to. But they themselves will know this more than anyone and I’ve no doubt will come back stronger for it. I imagine the sense in the squad is one of disappointment and failure. Feelings hopefully will drive them to something special next season. Focus needs to be on home games, we didn’t get into top 4 this season because of the amount of stupid games we lost at Welford Road. If we had just won one of Worcester, Bath, Saints or Newcastle, all of which were winnable, our season would be looking different.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

It'll be more of the same next season, I fear. More disappointments, and embarrassing failures.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mafi isn’t coming now Leicestertinytiger :smt012!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Tigers are not good enough for him anymore, who can blame him for changing his mind.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerS2 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 pm Tigers are not good enough for him anymore, who can blame him for changing his mind.
More like money..
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Let George Ford run the backs. Those of us at the away games, and particularly at Sale, showed what he can do when a) a pack that had BOC and Williams was providing good quality ball and b) the running lines were angled, at pace and the ball was held onto.
Holmes is a great prospect but to be fair he got injured at least twice which resulted in a few weeks out.
As for Mafi: I am pleased he isn’t coming as he didn’t do a lot in France last season and Williams is, in my opinion, a much better prospect and Hamilton a very good squad player.
The new forward signings look promising if they stay reasonbly fit.
Hardwick must be given some game time. From the few games I have seen him he reminds me of Andy Goode- a more than solid fly half( no pun intended!).
Sarries, though,will take some dethroning and both Gloucester and Bath will be strong. Then there’s Bristol- they will be tough to beat on their own patch.
Can’t wait for the new season.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Holmes was injured but let's not forget he wasn't played after tearing it up preseason and in the AWC and MoC still picked Malouf! I'm still going with Ford or Toomua,not both with plenty to back that up.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Hamilton is off isn't he?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:13 pm Come on I know MOC gets some stick on this forum but surely Murphy needs to get the axe. The skills have been awful for the last couple of years and it’s painful to watch sometimes. New skill coach is required.

Holmes is such a class player. Aged 25 so has loads of years ahead of him and is a natural finisher like Ashton. Tracks plays really well and runs such good support lines. 12 tries in 12 appearances I think for us.

100% agree regarding Murphy. The basics were poor last season and need to improve massively. We need to hold onto the ball but don’t seem able, losing in contact, passing in front of or behind the man, knock ons. Discipline needs to improve, too many penalties given away. Bakewell made an immediate impact but that was all it was, two steps forward and one back.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 pm Let George Ford run the backs. Those of us at the away games, and particularly at Sale, showed what he can do when a) a pack that had BOC and Williams was providing good quality ball and b) the running lines were angled, at pace and the ball was held onto.
Holmes is a great prospect but to be fair he got injured at least twice which resulted in a few weeks out.
As for Mafi: I am pleased he isn’t coming as he didn’t do a lot in France last season and Williams is, in my opinion, a much better prospect and Hamilton a very good squad player.
The new forward signings look promising if they stay reasonbly fit.
Hardwick must be given some game time. From the few games I have seen him he reminds me of Andy Goode- a more than solid fly half( no pun intended!).
Sarries, though,will take some dethroning and both Gloucester and Bath will be strong. Then there’s Bristol- they will be tough to beat on their own patch.
Can’t wait for the new season.
How many times have people said Bath and Gloucester will be strong?!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:13 pm Come on I know MOC gets some stick on this forum but surely Murphy needs to get the axe. The skills have been awful for the last couple of years and it’s painful to watch sometimes. New skill coach is required.

100% agree regarding Murphy. The basics were poor last season and need to improve massively. We need to hold onto the ball but don’t seem able, losing in contact, passing in front of or behind the man, knock ons. Discipline needs to improve, too many penalties given away. Bakewell made an immediate impact but that was all it was, two steps forward and one back.
At least we moved forward one step then! :smt023