Re: Squad Analysis

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Go Jonny go!
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

May i repeat the so far unanswered question: Is Mike Williams leaving? I for one sincerely hope not as i believe him to be a real class act, granted this season we haven't seen the best of him due to a combination of injury & poor form but lets not forget he was on England's radar prior to injury. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

newport tiger wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 am May i repeat the so far unanswered question: Is Mike Williams leaving? I for one sincerely hope not as i believe him to be a real class act, granted this season we haven't seen the best of him due to a combination of injury & poor form but lets not forget he was on England's radar prior to injury. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Problem is Kalamafoni, O’Connor, Thompson and Denton are all better than him. Also Mafi and Fitzgerald can also cover 6 so he may be surplus to requirement.

Sad because I always liked Williams and he was class the season he joined us. However, he has never reached those heights again and was very poor in Tigers poor run of games. Therefore wouldn’t be overly fussed if he did leave. Some may moan about needless squad churn but he simply hasn’t been good enough recently.

If he does stay then there is probably no need in the squad for Mapapalangi. As I imagine Mapapalangi is on less money, that is probably why the decision has been made. Plus it will give Reffell coming through more chances with the first team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wales obviously think highly of Reffell’s abilities. It is possible that he might be one day our captain, unless Wales nab him of course.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Here it is...

https://youtu.be/90kdsSkZotE

Greg Bateman - The Linebreaker
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

JP14 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm Here it is...

https://youtu.be/90kdsSkZotE

Greg Bateman - The Linebreaker
Excellent...
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Good work again!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:56 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am What am I missing about Mapapalangi? Don't get me wrong, he has scores of potential, excellent hands and is good on the burst, but I don't think he's done enough to be considered a top performer this season?

Ive watched him fall off tackles, stand on the wing (which is a massive bug bare for me and our flankers, get in the centre of the park :censored:) and it seems to me that when he has a bad game, its an absolute stinker.

Stats may tell another story, but I dont think he offers what a back row should, IMO. It may be that he's rarely been part of a balanced back row, but I'd personally have him in the jurys out section, over Worth their Bacon.
I have to say, I am a fan, maybe not a starter, but I believe he deserves to stay.
I don't think he works hard enough when the opposition has the ball, blindside flanker should be near the top of the tackle stats.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I am a fan of Mapapalangi but I must admit that he needs to work on his defence, he tackles too high and rarely puts in a dominant hit. Still think he’s worth his bacon though!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cheers for the feedback guys, much appreciated!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

newport tiger wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 am Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Does that really mean anything?

Form fluctuates but what is class? All players peak, some at a higher level than others, some have a longer peak.

But permanent? No.

If that were the case Hill, back and Dallaglio would still be the England back row. In reality even the greats have sell by dates.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

Regarding Manu. A glimmer of hope I saw in the Sale game was he did one run where he smashed the defender, quite reminiscent of the Manu we love. Brief but promising.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

parkerd1968 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 pm Regarding Manu. A glimmer of hope I saw in the Sale game was he did one run where he smashed the defender, quite reminiscent of the Manu we love. Brief but promising.
Glad I'm not the only one who saw that, thought I was hallucinating :smt030
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Manu did play very well against Sharks, he was in the Premiership Team of the Week on the Rugby Blog.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

Crofty wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 pm
parkerd1968 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 pm Regarding Manu. A glimmer of hope I saw in the Sale game was he did one run where he smashed the defender, quite reminiscent of the Manu we love. Brief but promising.
Glad I'm not the only one who saw that, thought I was hallucinating :smt030
I was hoping they'd show a replay to confirm it, but I think we scored not long after, so it got overlooked.