Squad Analysis

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Squad Analysis

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ford has lacked form since Baths run to the AP final,has only ever been a flat track bully for England too folding in the bigger games.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

What do folk expect when certain players can just waltz back in the team just on name value when things were working?!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:07 pm What do folk expect when certain players can just waltz back in the team just on name value when things were working?!
The most accurate comment on here. A winning streak soured.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Anyone with more than one eye could see that BY and Manu weren't ready and that Toomua should've been left at FH!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:07 pm What do folk expect when certain players can just waltz back in the team just on name value when things were working?!
The most accurate comment on here. A winning streak soured.
What this bloke said.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Mike Williams is leaving? When did that happen?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton offer their insight on Ford...

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_lin ... DAdxrP&u=/
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton offer their insight on Ford...

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_lin ... DAdxrP&u=/
... and coaching and management. Excellent piece.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 pm Anyone with more than one eye could see that BY and Manu weren't ready and that Toomua should've been left at FH!
Then why did we win against Wasps and Bath with Ford at 10 - arguably the two hardest games (we shouldn't have won at Sarries, they butchered so many chances it was ridiculous). The games against Quins and Worcester were games against teams that have had poor seasons.

We lost against Saints because the whole team were terrible.

And we lost against Newcastle because the whole team stopped playing when we were 10 points up with 10 to go. If a school team did that I would be disappointed. That's the most frustrating thing about this team - and I don't blame MOC, some things are purely down to the XV players on the pitch. This rarely happened 5-6 years ago. Even if we had poor games, once we were 10 in front we never let that lead go.

We definitely need a dedicated line out coach though.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'll give you Wasps,but Bath? Forwards were out on their feet after 60 and what's the difference between Wasps butchered chances and Sarries and I strongly disagree about not deserving to win. You've got your games muddled up,we dominated Sarries bar their botched chances and definitely deserved the win,id say the Wasps games was the get out of jail win.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:27 am I'll give you Wasps, but Bath? Forwards were out on their feet after 60 and what's the difference between Wasps butchered chances and Sarries and I strongly disagree about not deserving to win. You've got your games muddled up, we dominated Sarries bar their botched chances and definitely deserved the win, I would say the Wasps games was the get out of jail win.
Bath forwards were out on their feet after 60 because of the way the team played - with Ford at 10 so he is also responsible for that win. I'm not saying we didn't deserve to win at Sarries, but if their winger had scored after halftime then it would have been a different game. I know that you can only play the team on the day, and there isn't a difference between Wasps and Sarries not taking their chances.

My point is that the whole winning run with Toomua was against two teams that we should have won regardless, and then an out of sorts Sarries. I just don't agree with all the blame being put on Ford when we won against Wasps and Bath - both teams that were still very much in the race for the playoffs at the time - and then after dire performances from most of the team in the last two games. You could name 6/7 players that have shown poor form for the last two games.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Good points,i still think Toomua is by far the better FH though and suits our game more and let's not conveniently forget George's poor to middling performances either. A huge waste of money imo.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:58 am Good points,i still think Toomua is by far the better FH though and suits our game more and let's not conveniently forget George's poor to middling performances either. A huge waste of money imo.
I totally agree that Ford has had some poor performances this season. I also think Toomua at 12 has also had roughly the same amount of average performances - remember we're talking about one of the best international 12's there is. It shouldn't matter if the 10 isn't threatening the gain line, a top 12 should still be able to play better than Toomua has a lot of times this season. Think about Myler/O'Gara/Goode - none of these good running fly halves (whatever Goode might say!!) yet the 12's outside them still played well!

I don't believe that Ford and Toomua can't click as a partnership, but this season both of them have had too many off days. Toomua's run at 10 was great, I agree there, but I wouldn't have given him player of the season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I hope this puts the Jonny May argument to bed 🤞🤞

https://youtu.be/Y7U1lwgdCgs

Greg Bateman tribute coming soon...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TTRITH wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am What am I missing about Mapapalangi? Don't get me wrong, he has scores of potential, excellent hands and is good on the burst, but I don't think he's done enough to be considered a top performer this season?

Ive watched him fall off tackles, stand on the wing (which is a massive bug bare for me and our flankers, get in the centre of the park :censored:) and it seems to me that when he has a bad game, its an absolute stinker.

Stats may tell another story, but I dont think he offers what a back row should, IMO. It may be that he's rarely been part of a balanced back row, but I'd personally have him in the jurys out section, over Worth their Bacon.
I have to say, I am a fan, maybe not a starter, but I believe he deserves to stay.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too