Squad Analysis

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Knightonian

Re: Squad Analysis

Post by Knightonian »

I wonder if our management have remembered the need next year to have one eye on development as the RWC 2019 finishes in November (so I believe) so we're going to need a lot of our young guns to be properly blooded
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Just reading the season review in the LM,for those who think BP don't matter have a read!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Knightonian is right, The probability is that none of our World Cup players will be available pre World Cup and are unlikely to play before Christmas if their country reaches the final stages of the competition. I remember in 2003 we didn't see our World Cup winners until December and their re-appearance for a European fixture in Paris resulted in a very poor performance. In fact it might be true to say Deano's team never recovered and it may have ultimately cost him his job. The young players will have an opportunity to really show what they can do and really kick on with their careers.
I was going to give examples of our young players that broke through in World cup years but having started with Moody, Goode, Gustard in 1999, I could only come up with Vesty for 2003 and nobody for the next three 07, 11 & 15 possibly our signing policy changed or maybe the Academy transition was more gradual but 2019 will see in my opinion at least four young players establish themselves in the first team.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Time for MoC to do a complete 180 and start trusting the youngsters.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am Time for MoC to do a complete 180 and start trusting the youngsters.

TBF he has trusted some youngsters so far, still a mixed bag.
Simmons has gotten quite a bit of game time in a really pressured stage of the season.
Worth could feel hard done by though.

Some are not ready though not sure about Hills, Tuilagi and Thacker.
And can see why he might not want to rush the U20's.

It's going to be a smaller squad so expect he will have to play the younger players regardless.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Wells can feel slighted too,I hope he isn't pushed out completely with the signing of Spence. Really want to see Simmons at FB and Worth used in the centres next season.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The young players will have an opportunity to really show what they can do and really kick on with their careers.
I was going to give examples of our young players that broke through in World cup years but having started with Moody, Goode, Gustard in 1999, I could only come up with Vesty for 2003 and nobody for the next three 07, 11 & 15 possibly our signing policy changed or maybe the Academy transition was more gradual but 2019 will see in my opinion at least four young players establish themselves in the first team.
For the players in the development squad that I’ve known the absence in World Cup years of the Anglo-Welsh Cup in its various forms has had the opposite effect, reducing both game time and opportunity to shine except for the lucky few who both get an opportunity due to injury for the remaining full squad members and who are ready to make that step up.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am Wells can feel slighted too,I hope he isn't pushed out completely with the signing of Spence. Really want to see Simmons at FB and Worth used in the centres next season.
Forgot Wells, definitely should've played more.

Personally would rather keep Simmons at 9, mainly because I think Freddie Steward has a lot of potential.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am Wells can feel slighted too,I hope he isn't pushed out completely with the signing of Spence. Really want to see Simmons at FB and Worth used in the centres next season.
Forgot Wells, definitely should've played more.

Personally would rather keep Simmons at 9, mainly because I think Freddie Steward has a lot of potential.
I disagree and think MOC is being set up for a fail for another moaning agenda on this message board.
He did it against Castres and was slated for it!
There are a whole host of development players regularly mentioned as worthy of the 1st team, from 1 to 15 a name for every position talked up as the next big thing.
If such a high number prospects want to be included all at once and they are all that good then go and win the A League at a canter, otherwise I can only sensibly see room for a couple at any one time at senior level.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Oh for goodness sake, BFG, we’ve had this argument before, the A League was not won because significant players missed games due to injury and the England U20s as well as the fact that Northampton & Harlequins threw 1st teamers at the A League.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Castres was not the opportunity to throw youngsters in the deep end as qualification was still possible and O’Connor threw the towel in.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Who has mentioned a player from 1-15? Must've missed that! The main gripes have been 3 6s instead of Evans,not enough game time for Wells,Worth could've been used more at FB and Holmes was underused due to MoC mate Malouf. Looks like 4 to me!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Evans has been injured most of this season apparently which won't help his selection.

To be fair Malouf did earn his selection IMO.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

These are players who I think are worthy of Premiership game time next season:
Front row: Heyes, Mahoney
Back Row: Reffell, Evans, Tuilagi (I know I’m going to be the only one who thinks this so can we please avoid that argument)
Scrumhalf: Simmo, White (like to see them rotated like OTY and TPN have been this season)
Flyhalf: Hardwick
Outside backs: Worth, Thacker, Olowofela
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:48 pm These are players who I think are worthy of Premiership game time next season:
Front row: Heyes, Mahoney
Back Row: Reffell, Evans, Tuilagi (I know I’m going to be the only one who thinks this so can we please avoid that argument)
Scrumhalf: Simmo, White (like to see them rotated like OTY and TPN have been this season)
Flyhalf: Hardwick
Outside backs: Worth, Thacker, Olowofela
Cloud cuckoo land, in my opinion!
Who do you want excluded from the current crop to make way for your worthy players?