Goneva

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Goneva

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Last nights showing clearly showed we made a massive mistake in letting him go. Such a talisman, when Falcons were down, he was the spark that dragged them back into the game.

I’d forgotten how good he is, best winger in the premiership. Fast, powerful and such an elusive runner. Can also cover 13 and play left or right wing. Such a pity he doesn’t ply his trade at Welford Road anymore. Hopefully Manu can rediscover his form and fitness then show us something similar next season!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Goneva

Post by TigerCam »

:smt023 +1. I would rather have Goneva than May any day. His work rate was superb all game!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rather have one on each wing.
Tigers are missing that big physical winger though. Holmes should be starting IMO proper finisher.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Agree Goneva has been outstanding for Falcons, and was the match winner at the weekend. However, in his final season at Tigers he looked utterly disinterested and I would have got rid too, at the time.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yes let's not forget his lazy running in blowing a try and Wade beating him in the air for a cross field kick at the Ricoh too,i agree with Tiglon.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Maybe axing him was the right call. But we never replaced that sort of power on the wing, something we have missed since.

We all know how quick May is on the left wing. But we need some power on the right wing to compliment each other.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Wing is probably the only position in the squad that we have always been strong at.

May is as good as Goneva, just a different style of winger. Lets face it, Goneva's first try on Friday night was mainly due to poor defence around the ruck, if that hadn't been scored then this whole thread wouldn't exist!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I have been very disappointed with May...yes he has great pace and can finish off tries but he is rarely the difference like Goneva can be and rarely seems to beat players either

However I do not blame Tigers for letting Goneva go...with the wages he was on and at 32 who would ever think he would still be the player he is at 34...the guy is an incredible specimen and player
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 am Wing is probably the only position in the squad that we have always been strong at.

May is as good as Goneva, just a different style of winger. Lets face it, Goneva's first try on Friday night was mainly due to poor defence around the ruck, if that hadn't been scored then this whole thread wouldn't exist!
It just shows you the quality of Goneva! Plays the 9, shows intent to pass Cole and Fiztgerald make room and off he goes - beautiful.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I don't think we've really ever replaced Alex tbf.

I do think we need a bigger wing presence though.
cheers
Rich
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Cokanasiga is leaving LI at the end of the season. :smt002
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:14 pm Cokanasiga is leaving LI at the end of the season. :smt002
Nailed on for Bath to replace Banahan, I thought...

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/ot ... by-1382381
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Fellow forum-numpties might enjoy this from Andy Goode...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tigers-l ... andy-goode
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

What he has said about our recent signings is true. Yes, Ford was a good signing. But not many other players of his quality have followed.

Come on, we’re Leicester Tigers and we expect better from the recruitment side. Looking at other teams signings, there is obviously talent out there.

How many good players have left recently and not been replaced by like for like quality. Betham, Goneva, Williams, Waldrom. I have no problem with letting these players leave, IF, quality replacements are coming in. Yet that has seldom been the case recently.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

I remain very underwhemed by Ford, it may be the coaching, the system or the personel but he has not bossed the possition as he should, he does not impose himself on the game but is a passenger to events, BY has also been poo(r) all season, intent on boxkicking hard earned ball back to the opposition at any and every opertunity.