Who has been our worse signing?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Who has been our worse signing?

Post by Big Dai »

Ford for Burns and Williams. Don't like Ford as a player. Sits too deep and draws the defence onto the backline, plus he can't tackle worth a fhart! You need an up and at 'em 10 (Wilko, Flood and the other international 10s listed elsewhere in this thread) to bring centres onto the ball going forward and break the line. The12 should also be able to kick well, which is why I think Williams was a loss.

The biggest problem in switching the 10 was that you've changed the play maker. Upset the rhythm of the team for the sake of one star name that doesn't fit the way you play. Better to have kept Ford and Willaims, got rid of Manu (Sorry, great potential but a weak link injury wise) and spent the money on a 13 to run alongside Matt Toomua and cause some havoc in attack and grit in defence.

I never understood the Slater for May move. Lose one of your leaders and gain a bloke who runs round like a headless chuck. If you're playing proper Leicester rugby the winger is there to stop their winger and shouldn't get the ball when we are in possession anyway. That's mans work.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:39 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 am In my humble opinion, letting our pack leader and sometime captain Ed Slater leave had a bigger impact than any signings we made.*

*With the exception of the off-field signing of MOC. There was a reason that the vast majority of the fans had serious reservations. The sooner he gets his P45 the better.
Agreed, Slater was huge for a losing Gloucester side yesterday, as was Morgan
Aye helped them a lot too.. :smt002
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:05 am Ford for Burns and Williams. Don't like Ford as a player. Sits too deep and draws the defence onto the backline, plus he can't tackle worth a fhart! You need an up and at 'em 10 (Wilko, Flood and the other international 10s listed elsewhere in this thread) to bring centres onto the ball going forward and break the line. The12 should also be able to kick well, which is why I think Williams was a loss.

The biggest problem in switching the 10 was that you've changed the play maker. Upset the rhythm of the team for the sake of one star name that doesn't fit the way you play. Better to have kept Ford and Willaims, got rid of Manu (Sorry, great potential but a weak link injury wise) and spent the money on a 13 to run alongside Matt Toomua and cause some havoc in attack and grit in defence.

I never understood the Slater for May move. Lose one of your leaders and gain a bloke who runs round like a headless chuck. If you're playing proper Leicester rugby the winger is there to stop their winger and shouldn't get the ball when we are in possession anyway. That's mans work.
A few things to address here:
Ford for Burns and Williams- We signed Ford and Burns chose to leave as he didn't want to be second fiddle to Ford and Williams was offered a huge amount of money by Gloucester so chose to leave.

Ford- sits too deep. No. He doesn't.

The 12 should be able to kick as well which is why Williams was a loss- Williams is a fly half who covered 12 for us due to lack of other 12 options.

Should have got rid of Manu- No. We shouldn't.

Never understood the Slater for May move- Let a good club player leave and brought in a top class international winger- It's a no brainer! We got the best side of the deal.

A guy that runs round like a headless chuck- Not sure what a headless chuck is but although he does run all over the place, he scores tries.

If you're playing proper Leicester rugby- Well we are not are we?! People asked for entertaining rugby, whatever that is, so MOC isn't trying to get us to play the Leicester way. We are trying to play "exciting" rugby, like Wasps because it's so successful for them! (Sarcasm)
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Where do you start ?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

A few things to address here:
Ford for Burns and Williams- We signed Ford and Burns chose to leave as he didn't want to be second fiddle to Ford and Williams was offered a huge amount of money by Gloucester so chose to leave.

Ford- sits too deep. No. He doesn't.

Yes he does! Doesn't play flat enough. IMHO. The attack goes something like, Catch slow ball from Youngs. who has already mucked about, have a think, dilly dally and shovel bad ball onto the twelve who's not got a reception party on top of him. Result? Ball goes sideways and backwards

The 12 should be able to kick as well which is why Williams was a loss- Williams is a fly half who covered 12 for us due to lack of other 12 options.

Should have got rid of Manu- No. We shouldn't.

Yes we should. No point paying for a top class sports car to have it sit in the garage and break down when you take it out

Never understood the Slater for May move- Let a good club player leave and brought in a top class international winger- It's a no brainer! We got the best side of the deal.

Erm.....No. The forwards decide who wins the game the backs by how many. Winning is the Tigers problem, not by how many. from my perspective we let a leader and key defender go and picked a lightweight indirect runner who is off with the internationals for half the season? Poor business. lets start winning with some grit before worrying about stellar quality in the backs. Stellar quality in the forwards is what we need. The girls can then have room to play.

A guy that runs round like a headless chuck- Not sure what a headless chuck is but although he does run all over the place, he scores tries.

Chicken = Chuck. Any winger can score tries.......just catch a ball and fall over, simples! When put in position by the ball winners so he and his colleagues can grab all the glory as normal. Draw the defence in then execute passes in the overlap ruthlessly and efficiently. we've not been doing this.

If you're playing proper Leicester rugby- Well we are not are we?! People asked for entertaining rugby, whatever that is, so MOC isn't trying to get us to play the Leicester way. We are trying to play "exciting" rugby, like Wasps because it's so successful for them! (Sarcasm)

Yep...get the sarcasm....I was somewhat tongue in cheek myself BUT and its a big BUT! You can only play exiting rugby if you're getting good ball. Plus actually having the game to put yourself a couple of penalties up in the first place and get a bit of confidence and cushion on the old score board helps. Forwards! Forwards! My kingdom for some Forwards! A foundation on which we can defend their 22 like it was our try line and only play the pretty boy stuff on their side of it.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:53 am Joe Ford will be cheap though.
Agreed RB - I once bought a Ford for £200 - it was reliable, a good runner in the wet & dry, not flashy just safe and gave good service. But when the time came I had to get rid of it! We are now at the same point with Joe Ford who must return to the Championship and earn his miles there.
I even got my money back on it's sale but I doubt that situation with Joe Ford we may have to pay a disposal fee. :smt039
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 am I think Dominic might have been signed before MOC came in, possibly? As for McAffrey he wasn’t up to our standard unfortunately and he’s not been tearing up trees at the underperforming Brumbies in the SupeRugby either
MOC signed Dom Ryan having been with him at Leinster.

As for McCaffrey, we must have low standards then as he was our form back rower for the two seasons he was here.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I think it’s a bit much to say that Joe Ford doesn’t deserve to wear the shirt. From what I’ve seen whenever he’s played he’s worked his balls off, so get off your high horse. We’ve had back up 10s who have tried far less hard. Pez and Burke spring to mind.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Now that we can confirm that we are out of the play-offs for the first time in 14 years - this is easy, MOC. Add that to the worst performance in Europe for an age, pretty well proves who our worst signing is. Sooner we get rid of him the better.

Hoping to see changes soon so we can look forward to next season ... but I doubt it.

(Cockerill, Mauger and others all sacked for less. Just saying ...)