Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Post by wardy »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:28 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:06 am The sad thing for me is would of Wayne Barnes allowed this try...I would imagine not and the difference in class between Refs is astounding...

I actually think it was a try first off, but due to celebrating and Pearce blowing his whistle Tigers stopped and a split second after the whistle Hogg touches down again

It was clear to all of us it was the second try that was awarded and Pearce's decision was exceptionally poor and leaves sour grapes

But like I said I think the first attempt was a try the camera angles were just not visible so good luck Newcastle and well played

As for Pearce he has shown himself up there completely

Found it odd that BT sport didnt show again with the whistle clearly blowing before grounding and I had to rewind to see for myself :smt017
Barnes has already come out and said no try
Chobbsy, be grateful for information as to where and when Barnes said this, please.

Surely it will be discussed at the ref's meeting today - not that it's going to change the result.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Spurt

Post by Spurt »

Don’t post on forum often but here’s my view as a Leicester ST holder and long term fan.

Firstly, the refs decision was utterly shocking. Pearce should be banned for life!!!

But I also think Newcastle thoroughly deserve that 4th place and it would be an injustice if we’d sneaked in. We simply haven’t been good enough this season. Though this ref decision went against us, on other occasions we’ve been lucky (For example, I thought Wasps were really unlucky to lose at Welford Road and wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for that one moment of brilliant defending by Tait) and it’s simply inexcusable to not know how to close out a game with a 10 point lead.

That said, there has certainly been an improvement in the pack since Bakewell arrived, and there have been some outstanding individual displays (Genge, Veanu, Kalamafoni, BOC) - my favourite being Genge almost single handedly destroying the Bath pack. I also think Tatafu significantly deserves more credit - proving a fantastic signing - and both Harrison and Tait have shown what the word ‘stalwart’ really means.

But as a team it hasn’t worked - firstly, aside from the lineout which has been woeful and cost us games, the team just seems unbalanced - for example, good front row(s) but lacking impact second rows and flankers (with the exception of BOC) Also, we have good scrum half’s and wingers but lack depth and consistency in the centres (I have deliberately not mentioned FH as remain on the fence over Ford). Secondly, strange tactical decisions such as pointless and inaccurate kicking when under pressure, kicking for the corner when we don’t have forward dominance and should be taking points, and an inability to adapt when the other team find a way through. Some of this may be due to the changing nature of the game. But to me they both point the finger at leadership off the pitch.

Finally, it grated a bit when my ‘young un’ at the game said why can’t we sign someone like that brilliant Newcastle player, pointing at Goneva :-(
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Spurt wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pm Don’t post on forum often but here’s my view as a Leicester ST holder and long term fan.

Firstly, the refs decision was utterly shocking. Pearce should be banned for life!!!
Good to see you have reached the level of hyperbole required at the first attempt :smt002 :smt003
Spurt wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pmBut I also think Newcastle thoroughly deserve that 4th place and it would be an injustice if we’d sneaked in.
Not so sure. Without actually playing to our best I thought we should have beaten Saints comfortably and edged it over 80 minutes against Newcastle. I'm not begrudging anything but the try shouldn't have been given end of story. Falcons would have claimed the first grounding was good which whilst I'd have sympathy for there just isn't visible evidence for. We could all rack through decisions over the course of the season but it doesn't change the fact that under a better officiating team it's likely the try wouldn't have been given.
Spurt wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pmWe simply haven’t been good enough this season. Though this ref decision went against us, on other occasions we’ve been lucky (For example, I thought Wasps were really unlucky to lose at Welford Road and wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for that one moment of brilliant defending by Tait) and it’s simply inexcusable to not know how to close out a game with a 10 point lead.
We certainly haven't had a good season by the standards we set and dare I say it by the quality of the squad we have. I don't actually thinking winning either of the Saints/Falcons games would have changed that per se. Finishing 4th in football terms is the Wenger trophy. It's an achievement of sorts but on the other hand not good enough.
Spurt wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pmThat said, there has certainly been an improvement in the pack since Bakewell arrived, and there have been some outstanding individual displays (Genge, Veanu, Kalamafoni, BOC) - my favourite being Genge almost single handedly destroying the Bath pack. I also think Tatafu significantly deserves more credit - proving a fantastic signing - and both Harrison and Tait have shown what the word ‘stalwart’ really means.
I think that for me is what makes it all the more frustrating.
Spurt wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pmBut as a team it hasn’t worked - firstly, aside from the lineout which has been woeful and cost us games, the team just seems unbalanced - for example, good front row(s) but lacking impact second rows and flankers (with the exception of BOC) Also, we have good scrum half’s and wingers but lack depth and consistency in the centres (I have deliberately not mentioned FH as remain on the fence over Ford). Secondly, strange tactical decisions such as pointless and inaccurate kicking when under pressure, kicking for the corner when we don’t have forward dominance and should be taking points, and an inability to adapt when the other team find a way through. Some of this may be due to the changing nature of the game. But to me they both point the finger at leadership off the pitch.
The line out has definitely been woeful and even though it improved a bit under Bakewell it's not been anywhere good enough. Re: the centres, we've probably been a bit unlucky with Owen and I actually don't see at is such a big deal. It's true tactics both from coaches and players on the pitch has been a bit off.

As was said on the other thread maybe a longer break will help everyone. Absolutely imperative we hit the ground running in 2018/19.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:06 am The sad thing for me is would of Wayne Barnes allowed this try...I would imagine not and the difference in class between Refs is astounding...

I actually think it was a try first off, but due to celebrating and Pearce blowing his whistle Tigers stopped and a split second after the whistle Hogg touches down again

It was clear to all of us it was the second try that was awarded and Pearce's decision was exceptionally poor and leaves sour grapes

But like I said I think the first attempt was a try the camera angles were just not visible so good luck Newcastle and well played

As for Pearce he has shown himself up there completely

Found it odd that BT sport didnt show again with the whistle clearly blowing before grounding and I had to rewind to see for myself :smt017
True. But St Wayne gave one for Gloucs that looked forward? Never thought of reviewing it.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Spurt

Post by Spurt »

]
ourla wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:55 pm Good to see you have reached the level of hyperbole required at the first attempt
I thought that was an essential part of any post on these forums :smt003
ourla wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:55 pm As was said on the other thread maybe a longer break will help everyone. Absolutely imperative we hit the ground running in 2018/19.
On that I completely agree :smt023