Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Post by sapajo »

Pierce is incompetent as is Wigglesworth now relogated to touch judge. Minimally neither can spot a forward pass or off side let alone not award a try that was not scored.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
katieakita

Post by katieakita »

Lose at Home to Worcester, Northampton and Newcastle and you probably do not deserve to finish in the top 4. However the decision to award a try is beyond me. To then go to the TMO and not sure what evidence they could see that warranted them awarding a try. No conclusive pictures to confirm the first effort was a try and a ref not sure if he blew the whistle and clearly could not see a knee on the floor between the ref and the TMO that is poor . Surely the idea of a TMO is to get the correct decision and this was not, would be nice for the powers that be to say either the try was a correct or incorrect decision.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The decision and specifically the way it was made by the officials was an embarrassment to rugby. Whether Tigers deserved to win or deserved to be in top 4 is utterly irrelevant.

Really makes me start to consider whether the hundreds of pounds I spend to watch rugby every year is really worthwhile. There are plenty of other entertaining sports out there where the rules are applied competently.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

League is decided over 22 games,bad decision but copout imo. But one I fully expected to be used at the end of season meeting which the BOD will completely swallow!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Not saying it's the reason we won't make top 4 or top 6. Tigers have been poor over the course of the season, too many players not living up to their reputations.

But none of that has anything to do with Pearce's decision. That kind of shambles isn't mitigated by the fact that Tigers' final league position will be deserved.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

From where I sit in the Robin Hood stand in real time it looked a score as ball hit the line. So try. No good blaming the officials as 10 points up we should have managed the game better. I agree Ford was poor all evening.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Probably not the worst tmo but I cannot remember too many (or any) worse, but will any of them stand up and admit they got it wrong - I doubt it but I am looking forward to rugby tonight's comments. I was always taught to admit my faults and say "I got that wrong, sorry" but will any of them say that - I doubt it. I include both assistants in that - all 4 were looking at it and no-one pointed out that there was no stand up and getting off the floor before Hogg, who was clearly off his feet, dived over. I cannot either remember any occasion in any game when a linesman ever says anything against what the ref or tmo are suggesting when a video review is taking place.
Hehehehehehehehe
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Fallen foul of the most over-rated Head Coach ever. Luck averages out over the season!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Fallen foul of not being good enough.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Fallen foul over a poor head coach! Reap what you sow :(
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

My biggest gripe with premiership rugby is the TMO.

TMO calls are run on an interventionist nature, often after a smart Alec pundit has picked "something" up. Healey is especially annoying at this and I totally understand Neil Back's perspective when he said he took an instant dislike to the bloke because it saved time.

We had two TMO calls, one a knock on, and the last farce when, regardless of offside or not, every one had stopped because sir had blown his whistle. Yesterday Gloucester scored a try off what looked to be a blatant forward pass and Barnsey just puts his hand up and goes "try", No review, no nothing.

Dual standards abound. Tries are being disallowed for offences that occur elsewhere on the pitch with no intervention or punishment. We have laws or we do not have laws. We review decisions, or we do not. Where was the word in the ear that BoC was actually on his feet and was "innocent"? 3 points can change a game just as easily as 5. Get a grip!

The game is degenerating into farce.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes it's been steadily going that way for some time.

There was no clear grounding on the first attempt that I could see and if the ref couldn't be sure when he'd blown his whistle or whether the Falcons player had been tackled and held then he should not have awarded a try, the laws are clear on that.

That said Tigers should not have been under their posts in the first place, poor game management, hopeless kicking and poor line speed let to that scenario.

Oh yes and BoC was on his feet and carding a player after a head injury is just plain wrong.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

I coudnt really tell what was going on and I can't bring myself to try and rewatch it but regardless we let Newcastle off the hook massively they looked finished and were there for the taking after we went 10 points up. If you can't comfortably beat the likes of Worcester, saints, bath and Newcastle at home you don't deserve to make the play offs.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If the Tigers had not stopped playing and retained the ball this topic would not be here. Regardless of the TMO, LP or did he or didn't he blow etc is by-the-by. Stupid plays especially by George Ford and others cost the Tigers the game just as it did against the Saints. The same just now nearly put Wasps needing another win to Q for the play-offs. As disappointing as it is, the Tigers got what they deserved as it was their own naivety that led to their downfall.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 amThe game is degenerating into farce.
James Haskell agrees with you, said almost as much in his post match comments - glad he was 'getting out' following a TMO intervention for one of his tackles denied Wasps a final try (didn't affect the Wasps win).
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.