Finishing outside the top 4: humiliating blow to confidence or useful wake-up call?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Finishing outside the top 4: humiliating blow to confidence or useful wake-up call?

Post by chris111 »

Just thought I'd throw this one out there. This is not to say I've written off 4th place - I still think Tigers are in with a chance (probably 40:60) - but I do feel genuinely ambivalent about this, however, and am interested in what others think.

Of course as a supporter I am rooting for Tigers in every game - and if they were to break their remarkable run of reaching the play-offs it would definitely hurt. However, it could also be argued that success has allowed a slight sense of entitlement to creep into thinking (it is certainly evident amongst a number of supporters!).

Do others think there is an argument for saying that missing out this season would be a blessing in disguise? Amongst other things, would make for a quicker end to the season (allowing, maybe, for a slightly earlier start to pre-season skills work?) - and avoid the possibility (not a remote one based on form) of a confidence-sapping 30 point shellacking by Exeter in the semis.....
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Finishing outside the top 4: humiliating blow to confidence or useful wake-up call?

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Before I'm not called a "real" fan,i assure I am,but I'd rather finish 5th than get tonked at SP,same as you. That's the game in the calendar I hate losing the most these days.
Tigerbeat

Re: Finishing outside the top 4: humiliating blow to confidence or useful wake-up call?

Post by Tigerbeat »

Disagree entirely.....play to win every game and aim for top four. Top four and you are still in the race to win it. Away games are tough and I would rather be in the play offs than finishing fifth. It would feel similar to finishing fourgj and just missing out on a medal.
Tigers have improved as the season has gone on and there are no guarantees that Exeter would win, though they would start as favourites.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Never any guarantees,id say 90% chance Chiefs would win. Play 10 games at SP we would be lucky to win one imo.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I have said many times that for us not to be in the top 4 and perish the thought finish 7th in the league would benefit the club and team in the long run.
Our run of reaching the end of season play offs, 13 on the bounce, and I think we are the only English club to have always been in the top European competition, when English clubs have competed, is unprecedented and something to be proud off, but it’s true that sometimes the darkest hour is before the dawn.

Having said that if we can get 4th in the league, we are then into true knockout rugby and then anything can happen
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

It's never really bothered me about the playoff run either,you never get a question at a sports quiz that asks who finished second/runners up in such and such. Finishing losers in an AP final is exactly the same as finishing 6th apart from the extra couple of days out,you haven't won it but you've qualified for the RCC. Others think differently and I respect that but that's just me.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Acts as a wake-up call to what? If the heavy losses and coaching sackings we've had over the last 3-4 years haven't done the job, I doubt missing the play offs will.

On the contrary I think it will be another rung down the slippery ladder and a massive blow to confidence. I can't see how it couldn't be.

We lose tonight and I honestly think it will affect us next season.

I am not concerned about going to SP for a semi. We might lose, probably even. But it will be an achievement, good for morale and in knock out rugby we have a chance.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I firmly believe that the "wake-up call" has already been had with the mixed start to the season and the disappointing matches in the European competition. The question is, have the club reacted in the appropriate way and bounced back? Answer - a resounding NO! Recent performances have been nothing to write home about - ok, the Wasps game was one of the best I've seen at Welford Rd for many years, but Wasps should have won.
I for one, don't believe Tigers will make the top 4, and a top 6 finish would be a reasonable end to a strange season. However, if I'm proved wrong - as I have many times, then I'll be more than happy!
Semper in excretia
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'd be happy with RCC rugby next season after the shocking run and still believe we are a better outfit and have much more chance of winning things with Toomua at 10 but there you go.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ourla wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:29 pm Acts as a wake-up call to what? If the heavy losses and coaching sackings we've had over the last 3-4 years haven't done the job, I doubt missing the play offs will.

On the contrary I think it will be another rung down the slippery ladder and a massive blow to confidence. I can't see how it couldn't be.

We lose tonight and I honestly think it will affect us next season.

I am not concerned about going to SP for a semi. We might lose, probably even. But it will be an achievement, good for morale and in knock out rugby we have a chance.
I posed the question because given the overall squad strengths across the Premiership at the moment I am genuinely ambivalent about the long-term implications of coming 4th as opposed to 5th, and so was interested in seeing whether I was completely out on a limb on this forum. I've read a few posts suggesting some are approaching tonight's game in a state of anxiety - implying that missing out on the play-offs would be disastrous.

On balance I probably lean slightly in favour of your argument - but I am struggling to see missing out on the play-offs as hugely significant in the long run. Obviously if we got through, upset the odds in two successive games and ended up as champions, hindsight will make me look like a miserable doommonger....!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I don't think finishing outside the playoffs would effect next season,quite the contrary.If we did It would still be papering over some still visible cracks. Hopefully it would give MOC the kick up the :censored: he needs as to regards to selection and tactics and I'm confident Bakewell will sort the forwards with a full preseason.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:11 pm I'm confident Bakewell will sort the forwards with a full preseason.
My original post mentioned the potential advantage of gaining an extra 2-3 weeks of pre-season work as a result of finishing 5th instead of 4th. Perhaps some intensive lineout drilling might be a constructive use of this time?!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Quite! While our scrums arguably the best in the AP our lineout is a shambles at times,truly embarrassing and has been for a long time! I remember Racing away last season,if you ever want to see how to blow certain trys from a driving maul,watch that comedy!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Five years of decline. We are the new Barf.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Losing the top 4 spot away at Sale = :censored: happens.

BUT
Losing the Top 4 spot home to Falcons AND potentially a top 6 spot awat at Sale = Humiliating.