Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Burns isn’t even starting 10 for Bath!

Ford is a class act. Maybe he hasn’t been at his best with his running game this season. However, I’m sure he of all people know this and he will boss the last few games of the season.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'm not convinced,both at their best I don't think theres much in it. Burns for us last season was certainly better than Fords been this season,no contest. Ref would've stopped it by now 😂
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Burns was injured,lost form and has always historically took an ion to settle at a club. Can't compare them now imo,better comparison would be Burns with us last season to Ford this.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 pm Burns was injured,lost form and has always historically took an ion to settle at a club. Can't compare them now imo,better comparison would be Burns with us last season to Ford this.
Well we could compare Ford in his season at Bath where they reached the final to Burns last season. There is no comparison- Ford wins hands down. :smt023
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I missed the rugby hour on radio Leicester last night, was there any update on injuries?

One of my sons bumped into Hamilton last night at David Lloyd in Narborough and apparently he has a nasty cut on his cheek, stitched up, and eavesdropping he thought he heard that it had been caused by someone throwing something, Manu was mentioned........could be completely wrong of course, I'm not accusing anybody!

However if Hamilton is unavailable because of that, it would be very disappointing!
Soggypitch
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Fed up of the comparisons of ex players to current players. (Let's be honest, they all fail in comparison to King Goodey :smt012 )

Ford and Burns both had issues with the tee. Both kicked too much from hand. Both had poor kick offs. Both struggled to get the back line working. Maybe we should be looking at the skills coach? Time to actually hire Grayson as a kicking coach?

Back to the topic...

The teams still fighting for the play off are Wasps, Newcastle, Us, Gloucester, Sale.

Wasps have to play Northampton (H) and Newcastle (A)
Newcastle have to play us (A) and Wasps (H)
We have to play Newcastle (H) and Sale (A)
Gloucester have to play Bath (H) and Saracens (A)
Sale have to play Exeter (A) and Us (H)

After this weekend I would assume Wasps to have secured 3rd with a TBP, and Sale to be out of it after losing to Exeter. We have to win tomorrow night to be in with a chance to finish 4th. If you expect Gloucester to beat Bath (which I do) Wasps will be on 66, Gloucester on 60 and Sale on 54. I personally believe (perhaps hope) that we will win, but expect Newcastle to get a LBP, meaning we will be on 61 with Newcastle on 60. If we lose, with a LBP, we will be on 58 with Newcastle on 63. Basically, if we win we should have just about enough for us to sneak in the top 4, otherwise away to Sale gets very tasty and we could finish as low as 7th.

For me, there has to be changes from the pathetic attitude and performance against Saints, had we won that game we would be on 61 right now and be able to go toe to toe with Wasps for third! Tom Youngs should start on the bench, with TPN now showing he should be first choice, whilst I'd also drop Dan Cole to bench because he looks absolutely knackered. We can't keep beasting him, and I would hope Logo would be up for it against his new team. Wells has always made a difference for me, and with the second rows struggling last week, I'd drop Fitz and play Wells and Kitch in the engine room. Mapa to miss out with Hamilton starting at 6, with Evans at 7. He has made an impact every time he comes on. Half backs the same, although Tait will hopefully be fit to come in at 13, and Holmes I think has done enough to start over Thompstone, who is a favourite of mine. Toomua would be my option for skipper.

15. Telusa Veainu
14. Jonah Holmes
13. Mat Tait
12. Matt Toomua
11. Jonny May
10. George Ford
9. Sam Harrison
1. Ellis Genge
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Logo Mulipola
4. Harry Wells
5. Graham Kitchener
6. Luke Hamilton
7. Will Evans
8. Sione Kalamafoni

16. Tom Youngs
17. Greg Bateman
18. Dan Cole
19. Mike Fitzgerald
20. Brendan O'Connor
21. Ben Youngs
22. Matt Smith
23. Adam Thompstone
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TTRUTH you seem to have forgotten that Manu Williams and possibly O’Connor are due back this game, so surely all 3 must start.

I take your point about Cole but he’s had 2 weeks off and just isn’t a bench player. Give a max of 50 minutes then send Logo on.

Ben Youngs must start
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 am TTRUTH you seem to have forgotten that Manu Williams and possibly O’Connor are due back this game, so surely all 3 must start.

I take your point about Cole but he’s had 2 weeks off and just isn’t a bench player. Give a max of 50 minutes then send Logo on.

Ben Youngs must start
I wouldn't throw them straight into the line up. A lot has to be said for match fitness, and we need to be on it, straight away, against Falcon. I would therefore have Williams over Fitz and Manu over Smith on the bench, alongside O'Connor.

Same sense of logic regarding starting Logo over Cole. Cole will be able to steady the ship, but Falcons will come out firing, and firing hard. Logo will be able to offer more against that, then Cole IMO.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Now at knock out rugby stage so start with best available 15. Falcons had a very hard game a week ago
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

"This week’s Aviva Premiership showdown between Leicester Tigers and Newcastle Falcons will set a Friday night attendance record at Welford Road, but there are still tickets available.

Ticket sales have already surpassed the previous best mark for a Friday evening fixture in league or cups at the venue – held by the 21,000-plus who saw a victory over Harlequins in October 2014 – and demand for tickets is still strong for the final home game of the Premiership season. Only the 24,000 attendance for the historic win over South Africa has been higher for a Friday evening fixture at Welford Road."

All these people turning up on a Friday night?! People can't make Friday night games they said. Hhhmmm! :smt017 :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

A very strong squad picked. Come on Tigers!

15 Telusa Veainu

14 Adam Thompstone

13 Manu Tuilagi

12 Matt Toomua

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford (c)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tatafu Polota-Nau

3 Dan Cole

4 Mike Fitzgerald

5 Graham Kitchener

6 Luke Hamilton

7 Brendon O’Connor

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tom Youngs

17 Greg Bateman

18 Logovi’i Mulipola

19 Harry Wells

20 Mike Williams

21 Sam Harrison

22 Mathew Tait

23 Jonah Holmes
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/a ... be11e6b27b

That's a very good side and a strong bench. Feel very confident now.
Soggypitch
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Strong side! Feeling nervous. I'll be watching from behind the sofa.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Well - if we can't win at home with that side, we don't deserve top 4!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:09 pm A very strong squad picked. Come on Tigers!

15 Telusa Veainu

14 Adam Thompstone

13 Manu Tuilagi

12 Matt Toomua

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford (c)

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tatafu Polota-Nau

3 Dan Cole

4 Mike Fitzgerald

5 Graham Kitchener

6 Luke Hamilton

7 Brendon O’Connor

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tom Youngs

17 Greg Bateman

18 Logovi’i Mulipola

19 Harry Wells

20 Mike Williams

21 Sam Harrison

22 Mathew Tait

23 Jonah Holmes
A very strong side, if we can't beat Newcastle at home with this side, we don't deserve to be in the final 4
God created rugby so footballers have heros too