How long before the whole England team is from the Southern Hemisphere?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nasher

How long before the whole England team is from the Southern Hemisphere?

Post by nasher »

I notice another kiwi is being fast tracked into the England side. How long before the entire team is from the Southern Hemisphere? Is there any point to English born players striving to play for the national side when the RFU continue to raid other nations for players courtesy of their parents and or grandparents.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: How long before the whole England team is from the Southern Hemisphere?

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

He qualifies as both his parents are English and reside in England. So for me there is no problem with Shields playing for England. He turned down the ABs recently so he wouldn’t be tied.

I thought England too were extending the residency period. So not much more we can do given the current rules.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

I suspect he only wants to play for England because of the money involved (like a few others) and he is in no way English IMO. I'm finding it harder to associate with this England team due to the ever increasing lack of English people involved, nothing really that can be done about it but I think it's pretty sad and I think the associated lack of passion is telling.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

It doesn't really bother me. It happens in every sport.

What I don't get is why an English/Irish player playing in France can't play, yet a New Zealand born can.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Spicer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 pm It doesn't really bother me. It happens in every sport.

What I don't get is why an English/Irish player playing in France can't play, yet a New Zealand born can.
Totally agree with you, I was thinking the very same when I heard this on the radio earlier. We have ignored arguably the best English flanker over the last 4 years because he happens to play in France and then we're fast-tracking this despite the fact he's clearly a Kiwi thanks to some convenient familial links. Bit silly really.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

He has been signed by Wasps for next season so have no problem with it. He qualifies by parents.....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Spicer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 pm It doesn't really bother me. It happens in every sport.

Because he’s signing for Wasps (unfortunately still an English club :smt023)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I was thinking exactly this last night. It would be a shame for me if most of the England team were not born in England.

However, international sport was created in an age where most people were more distinctly of one nationality. Now we live in a globalised world where so many people can lay claim to two or more nationalities - the lines of nationality are becoming blurred. It is also much easier now for people with heritage from another country on the other side of the world to travel there and play for that team. This does diminish the allure of international sport, but it's good for humanity in general.

Back to this specific case, Shields has far more claim to being English than a lot of others (Nathan Hughes comes to mind). When it comes to English players who play abroad not being picked, that's about retaining control over those who play for England and protecting the English club game - nothing else.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Should we really be surprised by this when 14 year old kids are being selected into elite rugby in England based on size, they don't even have to particularly like or enjoy rugby to potentially have a career in it!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:18 pm Should we really be surprised by this when 14 year old kids are being selected into elite rugby in England based on size, they don't even have to particularly like or enjoy rugby to potentially have a career in it!
Twice in a day I agree with you! Not just size either, as others have complained on here. There are great talents out there, some late-flowering, that will/would never get anywhere. Nick Easter and Brad Thorn were late starters, for example.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I don't like flags of convenience players, never have. However as other have said both parents are English and so he is more English than the Vunipolas, Hartley, Hughes, Te'o, Solomona, Tuilagi and a raft of others who have previously worn the white jersey.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

If good enough and qualified no problems. Would really like to see Jason Woodward in the England 15 shirt
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Why hasn't BOC never had a look in when hes our best EQ 7 and England's breakdown work is shambolic?!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:03 pm Why hasn't BOC never had a look in when hes our best EQ 7 and England's breakdown work is shambolic?!
SSSSSHHHHH!!!!! :smt009
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:03 pm Why hasn't BOC never had a look in when hes our best EQ 7 and England's breakdown work is shambolic?!
He was mentioned in dispatches but that was around the time of his injuries and the Tigers pack going backwards in more than one sense