Logo

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Logo

Post by ellis9 »

Spicer wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 pm If people want to complain about athletes wages you should focus on Football or the big 3 American Sports. Rugby isn't on the same level as them. They have a short career at the top so their incomes should be a little inflated. Personally I think a top athlete on 400k is fair as they are world class at something with short careers. I take issue with some footballers who earn that in a week.
That's why I've said sportspeople, not rugby players.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Watching Glaws vs Falcons, struggling at scrumtime but under the tutelage of Stanko I reckon we should sign that Lockwood fellow as Logo’s replacement.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:36 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am I did not say Logo was having a salary increase I said that I had heard that Falcons had offered 50k more than Tiger's best offer. There comes a time in every sportsman's career when the next contract is for less than the current. Logo who is a really nice bloke and has been a great player for us has a first loyalty to his wife and family and providing for them as best he can and that continues after his playing days are ended.
The Tigers management team have the responsibility to give us (the fans) and the PLC the best possible team they can within the salary cap and they now have the job of filling the considerable space left by Logo's departure.
Obviously his family comes first but he is already paid a lot more than other people who have to provide for their family. I'm not singling out Mulipola by the way, just professional sportspeople in general. I'm sure he could provide for his family on £400k a year. The extra £50k isn't needed.
Ellis. No of course the £50k isn't "needed" - I don't think anyone is arguing that it is needed, or that he is somehow entitled to it. We could all live on £20k per year, but we're all free to accept a bigger salary if we want to, as are all professional sportspeople.

Well done to Logo for working hard and having a career so successful that he can earn all that money, and Ellis, if you don't like it, I hear North Korea are always happy to accept defectors from capitalism - your economic views seem to match theirs very closely so you'd probably be very happy there.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am I did not say Logo was having a salary increase I said that I had heard that Falcons had offered 50k more than Tiger's best offer. There comes a time in every sportsman's career when the next contract is for less than the current. Logo who is a really nice bloke and has been a great player for us has a first loyalty to his wife and family and providing for them as best he can and that continues after his playing days are ended.
The Tigers management team have the responsibility to give us (the fans) and the PLC the best possible team they can within the salary cap and they now have the job of filling the considerable space left by Logo's departure.
Obviously his family comes first but he is already paid a lot more than other people who have to provide for their family. I'm not singling out Mulipola by the way, just professional sportspeople in general. I'm sure he could provide for his family on £400k a year. The extra £50k isn't needed.
Ellis. No of course the £50k isn't "needed" - I don't think anyone is arguing that it is needed, or that he is somehow entitled to it. We could all live on £20k per year, but we're all free to accept a bigger salary if we want to, as are all professional sportspeople.

Well done to Logo for working hard and having a career so successful that he can earn all that money, and Ellis, if you don't like it, I hear North Korea are always happy to accept defectors from capitalism - your economic views seem to match theirs very closely so you'd probably be very happy there.
That's what I'm saying! Logo apparently wanted to stay but chose to accept £50k more. If he really wanted to stay he would have accepted Tigers offer and foregone the extra money. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done but I'm not believing the "Logo really wanted to stay" line. He only wanted to stay if Tigers offered him more money. There is a difference. I'm not criticising him for choosing that option.

If you look at for example, Geordan Murphy, he could have earned more money elsewhere with how good he was but he chose to stay with Tigers.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

He probably didn't even write the statement himself, so maybe don't read too much into it...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:56 am He probably didn't even write the statement himself, so maybe don't read too much into it...
A quote isn't needed. If any player wants to stay as they love playing for the club, they'd accept the generous offer Tigers offer them, even if it's not as generous as another club.

As Del Boy says- "Actions speak louder than words".
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:28 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:56 am He probably didn't even write the statement himself, so maybe don't read too much into it...
A quote isn't needed. If any player wants to stay as they love playing for the club, they'd accept the generous offer Tigers offer them, even if it's not as generous as another club.

You've missed my point completely.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Firstly, Mulipola. I have little doubt that like many/most Pacific Islands players, he sends money back to "home" as the economies of the islands are not flush with money. That's why so many "journeymen" from the islands stay and play the whole of their careers in Europe, NZ, Australia, Japan etc.

Secondly, professional sportspeople are just one sector of the general "entertainment" industry which also includes actors, singers, pop groups, comedians, film directors and anyone else whose "product" goes out to a paying audience. In all of these areas, the top exponents earn huge amounts because they attract an audience. The bigger the (often potential) audience (television, radio, cinema) the bigger the pay. That's the way the cookie crumbles in our capitalist society. It also happens in business, the people at the top of a company earn the most, and the bigger the company, the more the directors earn (in general) . And don't compare across industries. That would be like comparing across sports, or theatre actors with film actors.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:28 am

So where do you draw the line between the "loyalty" you are espousing and being greedy (which is what you are definitely implying - he doesn't "need" the extra, so by implication he is being greedy) ? £50k pa, £100k pa? .
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm Watching Glaws vs Falcons, struggling at scrumtime but under the tutelage of Stanko I reckon we should sign that Lockwood fellow as Logo’s replacement.
Really, don’t rate him at all. Coley will be quietly licking his lips all week
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm Watching Glaws vs Falcons, struggling at scrumtime but under the tutelage of Stanko I reckon we should sign that Lockwood fellow as Logo’s replacement.
Really, don’t rate him at all. Coley will be quietly licking his lips all week
Yes probably didn’t play well against Glaws but was outstanding against Bordeaux earlier on in the competition.
Made 20 meters alone on a single leg drive
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Where do people get figures like 400k from, Logo is second choice in his position, the salary cap is less than 8 million if we pay 400k to twenty players we break the cap it is unlikely that a bench player is going to get anything near that amount.
Every time a player takes the pitch it could be his last game (i.e. Rob Horne) I believe the insurance pay out is based on salary and length of contract remaining, any player, any person works for the best deal they can get, job satisfaction plays a part but it does not compensate for a massive difference in pay particularly in a short career.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

indeed. i must admit i just repeated it from someone having said it earlier in the thread, and didn't really think about it. just goes to emphasize the point i think nearly everyone is making that over a short career, the tax man taking 40%, a young family and a future post rugby to plan for, these numbers are extremely reasonable - if not low!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think Del Boy would have said, "Nice little earner, Rodney, next year we're going to be millionaires" :smt001.
Good luck to the bloke, his career could end after 1 game, what then, bet he knows nothing other than rugby, so where would his next job come from? Got to finance his family for the rest of his life!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm I think Del Boy would have said, "Nice little earner, Rodney, next year we're going to be millionaires" :smt001.
Good luck to the bloke, his career could end after 1 game, what then, bet he knows nothing other than rugby, so where would his next job come from? Got to finance his family for the rest of his life!
Office work or retail work to name just two. There's plenty of jobs that people can move into which would mean they could provide for their families. People do have career changes throughout their life.