We were due to lose one before the seasons end

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

We were due to lose one before the seasons end

Post by fortysix »

Alright, it was a bad loss, as we threw it away.

But salvation is still in our hands. Just win the next 4 matches and we are the Champions !!!

And now we should know the best starting XV and that definitely includes Holmes, who pops up just like Ashton..
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: We were due to lose one before the seasons end

Post by sapajo »

Thompstone is way past his best. Holmes comes on and within minutes makes a huge impact due to his extra gas!
It's time for him to start.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Thompstone I think is now the worst winger in the first team. His form last season was class but hasn’t been able to reach those heights this year. Holmes and Malouf have offered more than him this season and both deserve their chances ahead of him.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 pm Thompstone I think is now the worst winger in the first team. His form last season was class but hasn’t been able to reach those heights this year. Holmes and Malouf have offered more than him this season and both deserve their chances ahead of him.
That's a bit harsh he has perhaps lost a some speed, but Mays barely done anything since coming back from England infact Thompstone has scored more tries. He is definitely the most powerful winger, has better defence than May and Holmes, but he has become 50/50 under the high ball, but better than Malouf, Malouf may become better in a season or 2 , and to be fair I’d have liked to have seen Holmes get more starts. Malouf has done well but was thrown in at the deep end and is now starting to struggle.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 pm Thompstone is way past his best. Holmes comes on and within minutes makes a huge impact due to his extra gas!
It's time for him to start.
Thompstone did some good stuff, big tackles when required, one in particular I think on the excellent Hill today when he broke.
I seem to recall Thompstone getting stuck into a ruck like a classic open side.
Solid game and solid player, bottom line is if others tackle like Thompstone did today then Leicester don't lose that game IMO!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

??? Thompson was our best back 3 player today all round,great tackle on Hill and nice turnover while May went back to his crabbing ways and Veainy missed a couple of tackles,one which resulted in a try
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 pm ??? Thompson was our best back 3 player today all round,great tackle on Hill and nice turnover while May went back to his crabbing ways and Veainy missed a couple of tackles,one which resulted in a try
Agree!
Thompstone was put in a bit of a defensive pickle at times by others earlier errors, he did his best in the circumstances in my opinion.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’m right in thinking that if we beat Newcastle at home and follow up with a win at Sale, we will scrap 4th slot, still in our hands.

Hopefully Wasps and Saracens will does us some favours on the last week and beat Newcastle and Gloucester.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Nope LTT we can beat both but if Gloc win both with TBP they get 4th.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 am Nope LTT we can beat both but if Gloc win both with TBP they get 4th.
I am extremely confident Gloucester won't get 10 points from their last 2 games. They are playing Bath and Saracens. Even if Gloucester get 9 points, we will finish above them if we win our last two matches as we will have won one more match.

I strongly believe that if we win both of our last 2 games with just 4 points from each, we will finish 4th. It is still in our own hands with us having to play Falcons.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Don't agree with these criticisms of May; he's the ONLY one who chases a kick, and usually makes the first tackle. His work rate is epic. The reason Thomo has scored more tries recently, is because the ball very rarely gets to the left wing!
The lineout has been poor all season. Poor throwing cost TY his England place, and he hasn't improved.
We don't compete at the ruck (in fact, we get turned over!)
The passing is poor.
No one commits defenders before passing. Too many miss passes; the opposition knows where the ball is going, and the outside channel is crowded before it gets to the wing.
All this is not new; we have been playing this way for the last four seasons, and it has to stop.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well Thomo was in the side that starting the winning run when the internationals were away but Holmes has to be in the squad. In fact Thomo might be worth a try at centre! As for win the last two games- well Saints was a weak team: Newcastle will come expecting to win and Sale- well- been to Sale many times and we rarely win there. Last season remember they beat Bath in the last game to guarantee we finished in the top 4 no matter what we did at Worcester. I was nervous yesterday and am even more so now. However, we aren’t good enough to beat Exeter.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I think it is time for Holmes to start ahead of Thompstone. Tommo is a good solid player who works hard, but in attack he hardly ever beats a defender either with pace or power. His recent tries have been walk ins, that every back should be expected to score. His defense is good against bulk, but against speed/agility he get beaten easily. (Saints 3rd try yesterday, Wade ripped him apart all game against Wasps)
I don't want to sell him as he is a good experienced player, but I don't think starting him in the 1st team is a good idea.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Baz wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am Don't agree with these criticisms of May; he's the ONLY one who chases a kick, and usually makes the first tackle. His work rate is epic. The reason Thomo has scored more tries recently, is because the ball very rarely gets to the left wing!
The lineout has been poor all season. Poor throwing cost TY his England place, and he hasn't improved.
The passing is poor.
No one commits defenders before passing. Too many miss passes; the opposition knows where the ball is going, and the outside channel is crowded before it gets to the wing.
All this is not new; we have been playing this way for the last four seasons, and it has to stop.
+1 Run laterally, pass early. Easy day for opposition as they drift across to fill what little space we have left ourselves.
I'm not cynical just experienced
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Baz wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am Don't agree with these criticisms of May; he's the ONLY one who chases a kick, and usually makes the first tackle. His work rate is epic. The reason Thomo has scored more tries recently, is because the ball very rarely gets to the left wing!
The passing is poor.
We compete when we have a proper 7 on the pitch, BOC or Will Evans (usually) do a job there.

Agree absolutely with the rest. In particular the miss passes and poor passing.

I'd add the infuriating decisions by individual players (the seemingly incessant need to offload blindly at any cost or hold on and not use an overlap) and the brainless penalties, that seem to have been more prevalent when we're in possession, that kill our momentum.

I understand that some penalties may be conceded tactically and the players are far better players than I was so I bow to their on field pass/hold on decisions - though they remain unfathomable at times.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.