Paddy Jackson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paddy Jackson

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

As I was driving to work I heard that Paddy Jackson was being released by Ulster. Would people be happy to have him at the club or not?
He has been found not guilty, is proven class and probably won’t be playing for Ireland for the foreseeable future. He is an upgrade on Joe Ford.
However would the club and us supporters want the scrutiny that comes with this signing and the fall out from various groups?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Paddy Jackson

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

No!
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

No from me also. His conduct was not becoming Tigers. Am sure without us knowing all Tigers players behaviour has not been exemplary, but once it is very public it is not attention club or sponsors would want to be associated with - hence why Ulster have released him.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Granted, the Irish courts have deemed him and his mates not guilty. A decision which many legal commentators in England and Wales didn’t agree with but nonetheless were found not guilty.

However, Tigers promote themselves as being a family club with a welcoming environment to women. It’s great to see the mixed crowds at Welford Road.

Whilst found not guilty, during the hearing they were found to be very misogynistic individuals. Therefore not people the club want to be involved with as it sets a bad example to younger players and risks alienating some supporters.

Ulster rightly got rid of them and Tigers I’ve no doubt will stay well clear of them too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nah mainly because it would be a costly upgrade to ford, and would rather sign a backup 12/13 and play toomua there during the Internationals.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

A big NO!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

no, let him disappear to Japan for a while or something
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Word on the street is he may go to Wasps as a replacement for the leaving Cipriani !!!
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

How are Wasps affording him? Plus the 10 they have signed from NZ.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yeah nonsense,Wasps already have a replacement
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 pm Granted, the Irish courts have deemed him and his mates not guilty. A decision which many legal commentators in England and Wales didn’t agree with but nonetheless were found not guilty.

His trail was in Belfast, ie the United Kingdom, not in an ‘Irish’ court, whatever that refers too.
Crown Courts in Belfast are no different to Crown Courts across the rest of the United Kingdom.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 pm Granted, the Irish courts have deemed him and his mates not guilty. A decision which many legal commentators in England and Wales didn’t agree with but nonetheless were found not guilty.
I must have missed these legal commentators in England and Wales. Could you give links to a couple of the higher profile ones, please as I would be interested in their legal argument for such a position?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

h's dad wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 am
I must have missed these legal commentators in England and Wales. Could you give links to a couple of the higher profile ones, please as I would be interested in their legal argument for such a position?
Would love to post these but you have to pay to use these systems privately. How the legal sector makes all its money, nothing is free :smt002

Lexisnexis and Westland and both have made remarks to the recent judgement.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Olding going to Chiefs apparently,Baxter taking a chance there.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Smudger67S wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 am

His trail was in Belfast, ie the United Kingdom, not in an ‘Irish’ court, whatever that refers too.
Crown Courts in Belfast are no different to Crown Courts across the rest of the United Kingdom.
A distinction is made between the Courts of England and Wales and those of NI (and, indeed, Scotland - which has a markedly different structure). But yes, the Crown Courts do operate in a comparable way - maybe you're both right.

Anyway, onto the subject of Jackson's acquittal and his reputation. One of the odd features of the whole incident is the apparent contrition he's shown in relation to the woman's 'distress and the events of the evening'; while this has the potential to mean a number of things, it's an uncomfortable overtone. This, coupled with the subsequent messages he's sent mean he has a lot to answer for, and I would find it hard being a fan of the club he ends up playing for.