French rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 am
Location: MARKET HARBOROUGH

Re: French rugby

Post by trendylfj » Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 am

Robespierre wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Tigerbeat wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 pm
Have Pau and Cardiff already qualified for the Rugby Cup?
Pau finished 8th in the Top14 and I don't think will qualify for the European Cup.
Cardiff and Gloucester, being in the final of the Challenge Cup, may automatically qualify although I admit to being none too clear on this!!
Cardiff had qualified due to league position therefore the losing CC finalist automatically qualify unless they too had qualified due to league position - Glaws didn't qualify due to league position and therefore qualify as either winner or loser of the CC and so qualify whatever the result.
Hehehehehehehehe

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Mon May 07, 2018 10:20 am

trendylfj wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 am
Robespierre wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Tigerbeat wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 pm
Have Pau and Cardiff already qualified for the Rugby Cup?
Pau finished 8th in the Top14 and I don't think will qualify for the European Cup.
Cardiff and Gloucester, being in the final of the Challenge Cup, may automatically qualify although I admit to being none too clear on this!!
Cardiff had qualified due to league position therefore the losing CC finalist automatically qualify unless they too had qualified due to league position - Glaws didn't qualify due to league position and therefore qualify as either winner or loser of the CC and so qualify whatever the result.
Thanks for the clarification!
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat May 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Grenoble are back in the Top14 after having thrashed Oyonnax 47-22!!
So Oyonnax are relegated with Brive, and Grenoble are promoted with Perpignan.
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat May 19, 2018 6:31 am

Lyon are through to the Top14 sem-finals - after extra time!
Last night they drew 19-19 at Toulon, but by virtue of scoring two tries to Toulon's one, they advance to the semis!

Chris Ashton missed two golden opportunities to score in the first half, but couldn't gather the ball with the line in easy reach. He did, however, score a cracker in the second half.
Lyon will play Montpellier next Saturday - in Lyon (the match venues having been decided earlier in the season.

This afternoon's match is Toulouse v Castres, for whom Steve Mafi will be a replacement. The winner plays Racing next Sunday, again in Lyon.
Semper in excreta

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: French rugby

Post by johnthegriff » Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am

Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
My understanding is the club failed to repay a bond. Can't imagine that happening in the Premiership can you?

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3208
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: French rugby

Post by sam16111986 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm

johnthegriff wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am
Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
My understanding is the club failed to repay a bond. Can't imagine that happening in the Premiership can you?
Well not this season...

We could certainly do with reinforcing the front row.

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm

johnthegriff wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am
Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
My understanding is the club failed to repay a bond. Can't imagine that happening in the Premiership can you?
And if they are relegated then Dax will stay in ProD2!
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat May 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm
johnthegriff wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am
Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
My understanding is the club failed to repay a bond. Can't imagine that happening in the Premiership can you?
And if they are relegated then Dax will stay in ProD2!
Apparently, Biarritz have seven days to lodge an appeal. Also, it seems that Serge Blanco may be able to come up with the necessary money to ensure they stay in ProD2 next season.
We should know by next weekend.
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat May 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Castres beat Toulouse in the second play-off and will play Racing next Sunday.
I watched most of the game and was mightily impressed with Castres' workmanlike performance. They kept a stranglehold on Toulouse throughout the game and were deserved winners

Not many would have put money on the two away sides winning the play-offs.

So we've two semi-finals that are tough to predict: Lyon v Montpellier and Racing v Castres.
My record of predictions is "xxxx", so I'll ask you guys which teams will be in the final, and then the eventual winner!
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Next week's Top14 final will be between Castres and Montpellier.

Castres (for whom Steeeeeve Mafi came off the bench in the second half) beat Racing today 19-14 and Montpellier disposed of Lyon 40-14.

Montpellier (who in their semi-final only had 9 French players in their squad of 23), who finished the regular season in first place, will probably be favourites, but I would imagine that most neutral supporters - including me, will be behind Castres (17 French players in their 23!!)

And there's no news as far as I'm aware about Biarritz's appeal against relegation from proD2.
Semper in excreta

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: French rugby

Post by Robespierre » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm

Castres are Champions having beaten Montpellier 29-13 and Steve Mafi (is he coming to Tigers?) scored the try to seal the win!
Semper in excreta

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: French rugby

Post by RagingBull » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm
Castres are Champions having beaten Montpellier 29-13 and Steve Mafi (is he coming to Tigers?) scored the try to seal the win!
Who knows anymore. :smt009

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: French rugby

Post by Rugbyflanker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Well done Castres,proves what I know! 😂

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4890
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Roaming

Re: French rugby

Post by WhitecapTiger » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:32 pm

So basically, we hammered the full strength French champions elect at Welford Rd and our 3rd team were humbled by a strong team en-route to being champions at their place.... positive spin and all that... :smt002 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: French rugby

Post by JP14 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:30 am

Now Castres are Top14 champions, I highly doubt Mafi will want return to us to anyway even if Glynn didn’t :censored it all up.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ads, bendy, bletchleyphil, Noggs, simoscribbler and 2 guests