Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: French rugby

Post by trendylfj »

Robespierre wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 pm Have Pau and Cardiff already qualified for the Rugby Cup?
Pau finished 8th in the Top14 and I don't think will qualify for the European Cup.
Cardiff and Gloucester, being in the final of the Challenge Cup, may automatically qualify although I admit to being none too clear on this!!
Cardiff had qualified due to league position therefore the losing CC finalist automatically qualify unless they too had qualified due to league position - Glaws didn't qualify due to league position and therefore qualify as either winner or loser of the CC and so qualify whatever the result.
Hehehehehehehehe
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

trendylfj wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 am
Robespierre wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 pm Have Pau and Cardiff already qualified for the Rugby Cup?
Pau finished 8th in the Top14 and I don't think will qualify for the European Cup.
Cardiff and Gloucester, being in the final of the Challenge Cup, may automatically qualify although I admit to being none too clear on this!!
Cardiff had qualified due to league position therefore the losing CC finalist automatically qualify unless they too had qualified due to league position - Glaws didn't qualify due to league position and therefore qualify as either winner or loser of the CC and so qualify whatever the result.
Thanks for the clarification!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Grenoble are back in the Top14 after having thrashed Oyonnax 47-22!!
So Oyonnax are relegated with Brive, and Grenoble are promoted with Perpignan.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Lyon are through to the Top14 sem-finals - after extra time!
Last night they drew 19-19 at Toulon, but by virtue of scoring two tries to Toulon's one, they advance to the semis!

Chris Ashton missed two golden opportunities to score in the first half, but couldn't gather the ball with the line in easy reach. He did, however, score a cracker in the second half.
Lyon will play Montpellier next Saturday - in Lyon (the match venues having been decided earlier in the season.

This afternoon's match is Toulouse v Castres, for whom Steve Mafi will be a replacement. The winner plays Racing next Sunday, again in Lyon.
Semper in excretia
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
My understanding is the club failed to repay a bond. Can't imagine that happening in the Premiership can you?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
My understanding is the club failed to repay a bond. Can't imagine that happening in the Premiership can you?
Well not this season...

We could certainly do with reinforcing the front row.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am Biarritz being relegated to third tier (subject to appeal). Could this be the time to go recruiting in the Basque region? A certain prop may not want to play third division rugby with uncertain wages.
And if they are relegated then Dax will stay in ProD2!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Robespierre wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm
And if they are relegated then Dax will stay in ProD2!
Apparently, Biarritz have seven days to lodge an appeal. Also, it seems that Serge Blanco may be able to come up with the necessary money to ensure they stay in ProD2 next season.
We should know by next weekend.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Castres beat Toulouse in the second play-off and will play Racing next Sunday.
I watched most of the game and was mightily impressed with Castres' workmanlike performance. They kept a stranglehold on Toulouse throughout the game and were deserved winners

Not many would have put money on the two away sides winning the play-offs.

So we've two semi-finals that are tough to predict: Lyon v Montpellier and Racing v Castres.
My record of predictions is "xxxx", so I'll ask you guys which teams will be in the final, and then the eventual winner!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Next week's Top14 final will be between Castres and Montpellier.

Castres (for whom Steeeeeve Mafi came off the bench in the second half) beat Racing today 19-14 and Montpellier disposed of Lyon 40-14.

Montpellier (who in their semi-final only had 9 French players in their squad of 23), who finished the regular season in first place, will probably be favourites, but I would imagine that most neutral supporters - including me, will be behind Castres (17 French players in their 23!!)

And there's no news as far as I'm aware about Biarritz's appeal against relegation from proD2.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Castres are Champions having beaten Montpellier 29-13 and Steve Mafi (is he coming to Tigers?) scored the try to seal the win!
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm Castres are Champions having beaten Montpellier 29-13 and Steve Mafi (is he coming to Tigers?) scored the try to seal the win!
Who knows anymore. :smt009
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Well done Castres,proves what I know! 😂
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

So basically, we hammered the full strength French champions elect at Welford Rd and our 3rd team were humbled by a strong team en-route to being champions at their place.... positive spin and all that... :smt002 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Now Castres are Top14 champions, I highly doubt Mafi will want return to us to anyway even if Glynn didn’t :censored it all up.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni