French rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lutontiger

Re: French rugby

Post by Lutontiger »

Bonjour Robespierre,
Tant pis for Brive, you must feel how we would if Tigers ever faced the drop. What are the chances of them returning next season? Will they bounce back, or struggle do you think?
I still can't believe Stade have ever come so close to the bottom - hopefully they'll survive tomorrow, and Tigers will have some sort of European presence next season - as you can see, I'm an optimist!
Many thanks for keeping us informed re French rugby.
Every blessing for next season. Au revoir. :smt006
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Salut, Lutontiger.
Brive will probably be one of the favourites for promotion, but who knows. They'll have a new head coach soon - ex Ireland and Lions lock forward Jeremy Davidson is leaving Union Bordeaux/Bègles is going to Brive, so we'll see what comes to pass.
Not sure if Tigers'll have top European rugby next season. If they get at least 1 point at Sale, I think they may sneak it, but if Gloucester have already qualified by reaching the final of the Challenge Cup, that may leave one more place for another club. Maybe someone could enlighten us on that?
Semper in excretia
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Tigers qualify for RCC with one point whatever happens
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Robespierre wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:33 pm Salut, Lutontiger.
Brive will probably be one of the favourites for promotion, but who knows. They'll have a new head coach soon - ex Ireland and Lions lock forward Jeremy Davidson is leaving Union Bordeaux/Bègles is going to Brive, so we'll see what comes to pass.
Not sure if Tigers'll have top European rugby next season. If they get at least 1 point at Sale, I think they may sneak it, but if Gloucester have already qualified by reaching the final of the Challenge Cup, that may leave one more place for another club. Maybe someone could enlighten us on that?
My understanding is Gloucester have already qualified by virtue of reaching the Challenge Cup final though I'm not quite sure why that is.

But I believe if we finish seventh we are not guaranteed a Champions Cup place. I don't know why that is or if Gloucester won the Challenge Cup it would mean the seventh place team qualifies.

Either way it all seems very complicated and of course we could with a win anyhow.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Keep it simple! We need 1 point to guarantee qualification,lets just get it! I foresee a 5 point deficit with 30 seconds left then Sale getting a penalty ,you can see it coming! The only way we don't qualify is with a 5-0 point loss,5-1 or 4-0 we are golden due to more wins.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Have Pau and Cardiff already qualified for the Rugby Cup?

• Aviva Premiership (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.

In accordance with a decision of the EPCR Board comprising the nine unions, federations and league bodies, the 20th place in the Champions Cup will be determined as follows:

i) Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified
ii) Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified
iii) Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified
iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Champions Cup winner

Can see Gloucester protecting some of their players this weekend.....win the Challenge Cup they qualify.....lose the Final and they will qualify if they finish seventh.
Gloucester have nothing to play for this weekend.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

It's a sad state of affairs when we are looking at permutations to qualify for a competition that we only need a solitary point to guarantee qualification! How far have we fallen?!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:12 pm It's a sad state of affairs when we are looking at permutations to qualify for a competition that we only need a solitary point to guarantee qualification! How far have we fallen?!
It is and you seem to be really enjoying it. Are you the new Roly?
:smt005 :smt009 :smt022
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:16 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:12 pm It's a sad state of affairs when we are looking at permutations to qualify for a competition that we only need a solitary point to guarantee qualification! How far have we fallen?!
It is and you seem to be really enjoying it. Are you the new Roly?
:smt005 :smt009 :smt022
Now young Ourla, there's a world of difference. Alas there is some truth in this, although I would dispute the 'fallen' as I can remember qualification for payoffs going to overtime in the last game etc.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Enjoying it? Really?! I'm gutted!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

We now know the fixtures for the Top14 play-offs and semi-finals:-

May 18th - Toulon at home v Lyon. The winner will play a semi-final against Montpellier in Lyon on May 25th at 21h00
May 19th - Toulouse at home v Castres. The winner will play a semi-final against Racing in Lyon on May 26th at 21h00

The final will be on Saturday June 2nd at 21h00 at the Stade de France.

This afternoon is the ProD2 final in Toulouse between Perpignan and Grenoble, in which two former Tigers are involved. Perry Freshwater is the forwards coach for Perpignan and David Mélé will be at scrum half for Grenoble (and strangely enough, I believe he's signed for Perpignan next season, for whom he played from 2006-2013 and was a member of the side that won the 2009 Championship - with Perry Freshwater!)
The winner will play in the Top14 next season, and the loser will play-off against Oyonnax, who finished 13th in the Top14 on May 12th for a place in the Top14.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 pm Have Pau and Cardiff already qualified for the Rugby Cup?
Pau finished 8th in the Top14 and I don't think will qualify for the European Cup.
Cardiff and Gloucester, being in the final of the Challenge Cup, may automatically qualify although I admit to being none too clear on this!!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Perpignan are back in the Top14!! They thumped Grenoble 38-13 scoring five tries.
So Grenoble have the match they wouldn't have wanted - as runner up of ProD2 against the second bottom side in the Top14, Oyonnax.
Personally, I hope Grenoble win as I feel they'll have a better chance of survival next season in the Top14 than Oyonnax.
Semper in excretia
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Loved me some Mele,a flanker in a SH body ;)
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Robespierre wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:01 pm Perpignan are back in the Top14!! They thumped Grenoble 38-13 scoring five tries.
So Grenoble have the match they wouldn't have wanted - as runner up of ProD2 against the second bottom side in the Top14, Oyonnax.
Personally, I hope Grenoble win as I feel they'll have a better chance of survival next season in the Top14 than Oyonnax.
Thanks for keeping us up to date! I wish I had the time to watch more French rugby.