Tigers v Saints predictions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3047
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by BFG » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:20 pm

JP14 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:43 am
BFG wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 pm
JP14 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm
Despite the repeated promises that they knew that Saints would be a desperate and hungry animal, I suspect the gut feeling that we were going to thump them took over and MOC most have thought that we would walk over Saints so we went back to side-to-side attack rugby
Much like the whinging woman sat behind you I suspect that you think you are also a rugby expert, but the above comment would suggest otherwise IMO, no way would the coach go into this game thinking Saints would be a walk over.
Leicester had many chances and didn't take them.
Saints had few and took them.
On the plus side it was a big crowd and lots of lovely money to be made, a successful day, it is a business. :smt025
How would you explain Tigers going to side-to-side rugby instead of keeping it tight.
Some credit must go to the opposition in my opinion.
Leicester didn't go side to side intentionally, it was often the effect of Saints defensive play, then the mindset changed a bit and the Saints pressure brought about some unnecessary static Tigers play.
Leicester did in fact counter Saints excellent midfield pressure and got around the corners out wider on several occasions to create try scoring opportunities but they just weren't accurate enough to win the game on the day.

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by Rugbyflanker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Just proves I'm only human Griff 😂

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7120
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by jgriffin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Disagree - side-to-side was a key feature of MOC attack playbook in his last incarnation at WR, and one of the major features of my criticism then, as was refusal to change gameplan or substitute.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3047
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by BFG » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:39 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 pm
Disagree - side-to-side was a key feature of MOC attack playbook in his last incarnation at WR, and one of the major features of my criticism then, as was refusal to change gameplan or substitute.
I wouldn't dispute that side to side was a key feature the last time but we have seen a shift away from that in recent weeks since Bakewell's impact up front and Toomua's slightly different approach at 10.
Seeing how the game played out yesterday I am of the opinion that Saints did their homework well and priorotised stopping Leicester up front first of all, and then pressured the midfield and then scrambled out wide, and it just so happened that it worked out for them on the day.
In a one score game though Leicester did still create more than enough opportunities to win that game if they were more accurate.

TigerCam
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3648
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by TigerCam » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Possession 67% / 33%
Territory: 72% / 28%
Penalties: 9/14
Yellow Cards: 0 / 1
Tackle Won: 68/81 84% / 175/212 83%
Scrums Won: 7/8 88% / 5/6 83%
Lineout Won: 15/19 79% / 8/9 89%

How the heck do you lose a game with these stats!!!!!! :smt017
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by Rugbyflanker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Because we lost all the important scrums and lineouts plus we turned the ball over 26 times!

DeadlyDunc
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by DeadlyDunc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Still angry about the result and performance.

Trying to find a silver lining and have settled on the hope that it might make us ultra focussed, disciplined and accurate in the next couple of games and hopefully beyond.

As an aside, I would happily put a bit of money on tigers beating Saints in both games next season after the frustrations and way Saints got under our skin in the 2 games this season, probably the 2 games they can say they performed.

Finally, if Saints improve beating them twice might mean a bit more if it stops them finishing in the top 6 or something.

As I say, it’s just straws, silver linings and that’s all I can come up with.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3959
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by strawclearer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Statement from Saints:

"Rob Horne remains in hospital this evening having suffered an arm injury during Northampton Saints’ victory at Welford Road yesterday.

The 28-year old Australian is receiving specialist treatment to his right arm and will continue to be assessed to determine the extent of his injury.

Rob wishes to send his thanks to everyone at Leicester Royal Infirmary and for the messages of support he and his family have received."


However hurt he might be, 'arm' is considerably better than 'head' or 'neck'! Good luck to him.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Stay Home>Protect The NHS>Save Lives

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5151
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Roaming

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by WhitecapTiger » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:12 pm

TigerCam wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 pm
Possession 67% / 33%
Territory: 72% / 28%
Penalties: 9/14
Yellow Cards: 0 / 1
Tackle Won: 68/81 84% / 175/212 83%
Scrums Won: 7/8 88% / 5/6 83%
Lineout Won: 15/19 79% / 8/9 89%

How the heck do you lose a game with these stats!!!!!! :smt017
Top two inches used at critical times: 0/many 0% / all /many 100%
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

Smudger67S
Tiger Cub
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: Cork

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by Smudger67S » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 pm

DeadlyDunc wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 pm
Still angry about the result and performance.

Trying to find a silver lining and have settled on the hope that it might make us ultra focussed, disciplined and accurate in the next couple of games and hopefully beyond.

As an aside, I would happily put a bit of money on tigers beating Saints in both games next season after the frustrations and way Saints got under our skin in the 2 games this season, probably the 2 games they can say they performed.

Finally, if Saints improve beating them twice might mean a bit more if it stops them finishing in the top 6 or something.

As I say, it’s just straws, silver linings and that’s all I can come up with.
As A Saints supporter, I will take you up on this. However, more of this later.
In the cold light of day I realise your set piece was woeful, especially the line out.
Your failure here gave us unexpected field possesion which cost Tigers the game.
As for the rest of the season I personally hope Tigers make the final and win.
I know we are fierce rivals,but with that come fierce respect.
Saints (or Stains) as we are often refer to on this forum are in a huge transistion period, new NZ coach, Dan Bigger coming in, next season is all about rebuilding,
Back to your prediction, brave words, if this Saints team this season managed to do the double, next seasons Saints should too. But probably not and both enjoying home wins.
Thats said, how much are you prepared to put on Tigers doing the double over Saints? It probably wont happen, however you say you will.
How much???
PS I am quite rich so feel free to fleece me for how much you see fit.
PPS As said, best of luck for the rest of the season, would love to see an east Midlands club (excludling Wasps who are not east midlands as we all know).
Come On You Tigers!!!
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!

DeadlyDunc
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by DeadlyDunc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 am

The point I was making is that your players had a point to prove in these games and particularly yesterday it was a game when you had nothing to lose and if you won you’d deal a big blow to your local rivals.

No disrespect intended I just feel that the Togers will remember these games and go into the 2 matches next season eager to “put right” the results but more importantly performances.

I was suggesting you were going to be better next season and as such have more than just beating Tigers to define your season which also formed part of my probably addled thinking.

Good for you being rich, nice to know, if we stick a tenner on each game with the money going to the Hambo Foundation or something that might be something I’d consider!

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by ourla » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:45 am

It happens. We had a 5 game winning streak and better to have the setback now than say in the Newcastle game IMO. Team have nearly two weeks to stew on it and then take it on on Falcons and Sale. A lot of the ingredients of that 5 game winning streak were still there. There is no doubt we missed a couple of open goals and should have won the game but what is done, is done. Let's move on.
You're either in or you're out

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7120
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by jgriffin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am

BFG wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:39 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 pm
Disagree - side-to-side was a key feature of MOC attack playbook in his last incarnation at WR, and one of the major features of my criticism then, as was refusal to change gameplan or substitute.
I wouldn't dispute that side to side was a key feature the last time but we have seen a shift away from that in recent weeks since Bakewell's impact up front and Toomua's slightly different approach at 10.
Seeing how the game played out yesterday I am of the opinion that Saints did their homework well and priorotised stopping Leicester up front first of all, and then pressured the midfield and then scrambled out wide, and it just so happened that it worked out for them on the day.
In a one score game though Leicester did still create more than enough opportunities to win that game if they were more accurate.
I'd agree with all that, but I worry that instead of doing the basics well the old faults are evident. For me To'omua is in a different class than Ford, more heads up running 10 and very suited to the AP as well as being able to dominate and steer games.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3047
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by BFG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:12 am

jgriffin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am
BFG wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:39 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 pm
Disagree - side-to-side was a key feature of MOC attack playbook in his last incarnation at WR, and one of the major features of my criticism then, as was refusal to change gameplan or substitute.
I wouldn't dispute that side to side was a key feature the last time but we have seen a shift away from that in recent weeks since Bakewell's impact up front and Toomua's slightly different approach at 10.
Seeing how the game played out yesterday I am of the opinion that Saints did their homework well and priorotised stopping Leicester up front first of all, and then pressured the midfield and then scrambled out wide, and it just so happened that it worked out for them on the day.
In a one score game though Leicester did still create more than enough opportunities to win that game if they were more accurate.
I'd agree with all that, but I worry that instead of doing the basics well the old faults are evident. For me To'omua is in a different class than Ford, more heads up running 10 and very suited to the AP as well as being able to dominate and steer games.
Yes I do tend to agree, you get more of an ability to adapt with Toomua.
MOC has done well IMO, tough job!
I guess he can't change too much too soon even though some of us very likely would.
He has identified where Leicester needed to improve and got Bakewell in and some more physical forwards on the way soon, but in the meantime they are a bit vulnerable to a dogged defence that forces them wide and static.
We will see how it works out longer term, if those forwards solve the problem or some find themselves collecting unexpected splinters!

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by johnthegriff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm

The stats show that Tigers got a lot right, the only stat that counts is the score, we got that wrong, players made mistakes, coaches do not pass, catch and kick badly that is down to the player. We lost four lineouts some in crucial positions, I don't know if the throws were wrong or if it was the choreography of the lineout. Our Australian hooker has played a full season with internationals in the Southern Hemisphere he and T.Y alternating is a good idea.
I said in another thread that I was missing Roly but with Rugbyflanker's unbridled anger and complete over reaction to an admittedly bad performance I don't miss Roly anymore.
I agree with BFG's comments much of what we did wrong was down to Saints not letting us do what we wanted, many of the players criticised were not as bad as some have suggested, it is a team game and on Saturday the team didn't perform. They have two weeks to put things right, beat Falcons at home and Sale away and we have a semi-final, we are capable of doing that but obviously we have to be better than we were against Saints.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ABClub, Crofty, kpj tiger, Leicestertinytiger and 2 guests