Tigers v Saints predictions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Saints predictions

Post by Stephen18 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm We should have been in a position where it shouldn’t have mattered if the try was given or not. Matt Toomua’s pass to Hamilton was indescribably woeful. I’ve passed better in wet conditions off my weak hand!!!
I’ve just watched the video back on tigers fan twitter and to be fair to Toomua although the pass is rubbish Kalamafoni could of caught it but he runs in last minute like he’s going to clear out, and even then I think he could have possibly reached it but seems to pull his arm back like hes got a call from outside, but it was a terrible pass.
Last edited by Stephen18 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 pm It smacked of MOC today,poor gameplan,pointless rotation,Lancasteresque laptop premeditated subs. TY was a great player,don't anybody dare mixup the player and the man,but he isn't now. He doesn't deal with pressure well,or sir,and he's too tunnel visioned. He cost us 17 points today and I'd give it Toomua.
Yep, but as a long-standing MOC critic I am compromised :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Stephen18 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm We should have been in a position where it shouldn’t have mattered if the try was given or not. Matt Toomua’s pass to Hamilton was indescribably woeful. I’ve passed better in wet conditions off my weak hand!!!
I’ve just watched the video back on tigers fan twitter and to be fair to Toomua although the pass is rubbish I think Kalamafoni should have caught it he seems to put his hand out for it then pull it back like he gets a call from someone else, but it was a terrible pass. Although I’m not sure which other points he cost us people keep saying he cost us 17.
Kalamafoni? You mean Hamilton, right 😂?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought Saints played well, defending very narrow and pressuring the midfield, almost forcing Leicester away from directness of the last few weeks, but then also on occasions Saints scrambled very well when Leicester broke the gain line or got round the corners out wide.
Still though Leicester had many chances but weren't clinical enough today, they take those chances then there is little debate.
Still though credit where it's due as Saints did play quite well.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 pm
I’ve just watched the video back on tigers fan twitter and to be fair to Toomua although the pass is rubbish I think Kalamafoni should have caught it he seems to put his hand out for it then pull it back like he gets a call from someone else, but it was a terrible pass. Although I’m not sure which other points he cost us people keep saying he cost us 17.
Kalamafoni? You mean Hamilton, right 😂?
No Kalamafoni he was just outside Toomua then Hamilton was outside him
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thought we had turned a corner last week and came back from Twickers full of hope. Today it was again, back to poor decision making, forwards not getting to the breakdown and no patience! It will take a huge improvement to beat Newcastle as in Deano, Welsh and Walden they have the tactical nouse far beyond that of our lot. Evans should have come on at half time as well as Bateman for Cole who sadly is burnt out. Saints tactics were good but boy did Tigers play into their hands! As for not taking penalties to get back into the game and instead kicking for touch with a malfunctioning line out- unbelievable. Now teams come to Welford Road not in fear but expecting to win. Still gutted. Still, being a Cockerill fan: great to Edinburgh smashed a weakened Scarlets. Oh well. 2 weeks to try to get it right for Newcastle!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm No Tigers players were as worse as the simply awful woman sitting behind me, thought she was an expert on rugby but she didn’t know what she was talking about. Kept wanting the injured players to hurry up, kept shouting isolated when players weren’t isolated and kept saying cynical when she didn’t even knew what it meant.
:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Never a good idea to take your wife to Rugby matches :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm Despite the repeated promises that they knew that Saints would be a desperate and hungry animal, I suspect the gut feeling that we were going to thump them took over and MOC most have thought that we would walk over Saints so we went back to side-to-side attack rugby
Much like the whinging woman sat behind you I suspect that you think you are also a rugby expert, but the above comment would suggest otherwise IMO, no way would the coach go into this game thinking Saints would be a walk over.
Leicester had many chances and didn't take them.
Saints had few and took them.
On the plus side it was a big crowd and lots of lovely money to be made, a successful day, it is a business. :smt025
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ford 3 runs for 0 metres,1defender beaten (must've been a sidestep!) 1 offload
Toomua 5 runs for 68 metres,2 clean breaks,4 defenders beaten,1 offload
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Not a lot went right today and while I understand the frustration, we should have won that game. Lineout was a shambles, but with Ford’s kicking problems I still understand going for the corner, the forwards would have backed themselves to get one of them right. Scrums were interesting, domination followed by the scrum when Painter came on and we were demolished. I’m guessing that Youngs and P-Nau are rotating as starters ? I’d start the Aussie every game. Ruck defence was abysmal and cost us at least 1 try. Having said that, hats off to Saints, they made their own luck, Gibson and Reinach were immense for them. 5 points required vs Newcastle...Glaws v Bath is not a guaranteed home win and they won’t win at Allianz Park, which could leave our game at Sale with us needing a 4 point win and Sale needing a win to get 6th place. All very tense.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Fully agree with A.Healy.

From an England No.10 - poor.
Another comment - he needs a kicking coach.

Proven OTY - Kitch - Thommo are passed their best and for me are not starters.

We got what we possibly deserved on the day. Saints just wanted it more.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

G.K wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm No Tigers players were as worse as the simply awful woman sitting behind me, thought she was an expert on rugby but she didn’t know what she was talking about. Kept wanting the injured players to hurry up, kept shouting isolated when players weren’t isolated and kept saying cynical when she didn’t even knew what it meant.
:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Never a good idea to take your wife to Rugby matches :smt002
Ummmm, G.K I’m a teenager :smt006
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm Despite the repeated promises that they knew that Saints would be a desperate and hungry animal, I suspect the gut feeling that we were going to thump them took over and MOC most have thought that we would walk over Saints so we went back to side-to-side attack rugby
Much like the whinging woman sat behind you I suspect that you think you are also a rugby expert, but the above comment would suggest otherwise IMO, no way would the coach go into this game thinking Saints would be a walk over.
Leicester had many chances and didn't take them.
Saints had few and took them.
On the plus side it was a big crowd and lots of lovely money to be made, a successful day, it is a business. :smt025
How would you explain Tigers going to side-to-side rugby instead of keeping it tight.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Did anyone else notice Jonny May playing as a scrumhalf of the base when he didn’t need to. I suppose he was trying to do the old pass to the scrumhalf, scrumhalf passes back inside to winger. When has that ever worked for us this season? MOC needs to tell May to leave the ball at the breakdown and if the scrumhalf can’t get there, ie he’s the player tackled, then the forwards should latch on and drive upfield until scrumhalf is up from his feet.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 am Did anyone else notice Jonny May playing as a scrumhalf of the base when he didn’t need to. I suppose he was trying to do the old pass to the scrumhalf, scrumhalf passes back inside to winger. When has that ever worked for us this season? MOC needs to tell May to leave the ball at the breakdown and if the scrumhalf can’t get there, ie he’s the player tackled, then the forwards should latch on and drive upfield until scrumhalf is up from his feet.
I noticed that, but thought he was trying to produce quick ball which is what everyone wants.

If the scrum half is slow getting there for any reason then any other player is perfectly capable of picking it up and passing it