This is interesting, I doubt this would work at the Army v Navy match

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43705552
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Alcohol free zone

Post by ourla »

I was a bit concerned on Saturday when we turned up because there was about half a dozen lads seated behind us (wife and kids) in fancy dress (literally a dress in a couple of cases). Hardly heard a squeak out of them and only one small beer spillage.

That said the annecdotel evidence seems to suggest it is becoming an issue - possibly more so at international matches. Alcohol free areas doesn't seem a bad idea. I could also live with bars being shut during play. However, that won't necessarily stop foul mouthing and drunken behaviour. I think an element of self policing is required. And of course good stewarding. At the moment I still think/hope these are isolated incidents. But others may have more experience than me - I don't go to internationals.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

So in summary - there wasn’t a problem but you’d like to stop ‘it’ happening?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Grimlish wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 am So in summary - there wasn’t a problem but you’d like to stop ‘it’ happening?
You talking to me guv?

I think there are always isolated incidents. I've not been badly affected but clearly others have. The question is, is it getting worse? And if so, what can be done about it?

So first question to you Grimlish had any bad experiences? Have they become more frequent/worse?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am
Grimlish wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 am So in summary - there wasn’t a problem but you’d like to stop ‘it’ happening?
You talking to me guv?

I think there are always isolated incidents. I've not been badly affected but clearly others have. The question is, is it getting worse? And if so, what can be done about it?

So first question to you Grimlish had any bad experiences? Have they become more frequent/worse?
In my experience, Internationals are fine, it is matches where tickets go on general sale, and of course the 7s each year
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think it would be a shame as that and opposing supporters sitting with each other are 2 of the big differences from Wendy ball.

I think there have been a couple of isolated incidents at Welford Road which have been dealt with swiftly by the stewards.

Shutting the bars at half time wouldn’t bother me but can’t see the money men going for it.
Also dealing with the size of men’s bladders would be great, maybe the shop could sell Tigers branded leg bags :smt027
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I went to the darts a couple of years ago and there was a small family section which was alcohol free. I liked the idea myself. It was only a small section mind. :smt001
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

They do it at some cricket matches too, works well. If it makes some fans more likely to come to matches and feel more comfortable then it's only a good thing. The more who can enjoy live rugby the better.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think it would be a big imposition on the majorityof fans who enjoy a pint at the match just to prevent the actions of a few yobs who have a skinful and can't hold it.

Hoof them out, not treat us all as potential hooligans.

Most of the bother isn't from rugby fans anyway but from others who happen to have got tickets.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

The Alchohol Free areas at Trent Bridge for Test Matches work extremely well . A Group of us always buy tickets in this area - tickets are cheaper , no morons in fancy dress and less disruption during play . We are all Beer drinkers , but given the excreable quality and exhorbitant price we are happy to drink in a proper Pub after the game .
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

As a drinker myself (3 or 4 pints a game) I would not have a problem with an area of the ground being AF, the problem is how do you police it. We went to France v England game some time ago when the only beer you could buy in the stadium was AF beer, a fact that was totally lost on the 6 or 8 idiots behind us (English). They were up and down getting more beer throughout the game and relieving themselves. We laughed when one of them said "time is going slowly when you're enjoying yourself - look at the clock - the game has only been going for 10 minutes" - it was a clock which was counting down and the half was 30 mins gone. We could not resist telling them at the final whistle that they had been paying a fortune for AF beer.
Hehehehehehehehe