Biggest loss

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Biggest loss

Post by Stephen18 »

Having watched the highlights of Newcastle vs Worcester and watching the current match with Gloucester vs Exeter, Im just wondering what player was the biggest loss to Tigers Goneva or Slater. Or is there someone else anyone can think of, I mean a player we sold or moved on not retired.
BengalTiger

Re: Biggest loss

Post by BengalTiger »

To me,Toby Flood, or Tom Varndel
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

With the greatest respect. Move on and support the players now wearing the shirt
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:25 pm With the greatest respect. Move on and support the players now wearing the shirt
With the greatest respect, if you don't learn from history, you will end up making the same mistakes.

Though not saying that these two going were mistakes. "Move on" tends to imply leaving history behind. Yes, you can't keep on living in the past, but neither should you forget it.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You also have to realise that players changing clubs is very much part of the professional era, practically didn’t happen before that.
If you’d like to go back far enough Clive Woodward moving to Manley Australia in the mid 80s was a great shame , but that wasn’t anything to do with rugby
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please stop this getting personal. The user is free to post it for discussion. If you dont like it then you dont have to post. Let users express their opinions and respect them, even if you disagree.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:23 pm You also have to realise that players changing clubs is very much part of the professional era, practically didn’t happen before that.
If you’d like to go back far enough Clive Woodward moving to Manley Australia in the mid 80s was a great shame , but that wasn’t anything to do with rugby
I believe the game is a sadder place for this "part of the professional era". The end of season merry go round is becoming a farce.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Interestingly, I thought that Owen Williams, Billy Twelvetrees, and Freddie Burns all of whom I thought were excellent for us would not now get a start for us. Ed Slater may.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:36 pm Having watched the highlights of Newcastle vs Worcester and watching the current match with Gloucester vs Exeter, Im just wondering what player was the biggest loss to Tigers Goneva or Slater. Or is there someone else anyone can think of, I mean a player we sold or moved on not retired.
I'm struggling to be honest. I wouldn't say we are worse off due to any of the players who have left in recent years.

I guess that goes to show that no player is bigger or better than the club.

Slater or Goneva? Goneva because he played more games in the final year or so than Slater but we haven't missed Goneva since he left.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Goneva was a bit hit and miss, plus we probably thought that he was near the end of his career. We have brought in 2 quality replacements since then: JP Pietersen (who sadly left) and Jonny May.

Personally I don’t care too much about Goneva moving on
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:49 pm Please stop this getting personal. The user is free to post it for discussion. If you dont like it then you dont have to post. Let users express their opinions and respect them, even if you disagree.
Didn’t realise I had said anything personal.

Getting like school
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:52 pm Goneva was a bit hit and miss, plus we probably thought that he was near the end of his career. We have brought in 2 quality replacements since then: JP Pietersen (who sadly left) and Jonny May.

Personally I don’t care too much about Goneva moving on
Agreed but I thought I'd give an answer to Slater or Goneva and out of the two, I had to pick Goneva but as you say, we haven't missed him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:49 pm Please stop this getting personal. The user is free to post it for discussion. If you dont like it then you dont have to post. Let users express their opinions and respect them, even if you disagree.
Didn’t realise I had said anything personal.

Getting like school
I know. I dread to think how some people deal with face to face criticism and people questioning their opinions. If people can't handle it on here, then god help them in person!

This will probably be removed shortly. :smt005
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

TtT ;)
glenn

Post by glenn »

Jaco van de westheizen