I am really disappointed in the club

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

I am really disappointed in the club

Post by Chobbsy »

My son has just deployed to Bahrain for 7 months to the new Naval base HMS Jufair that opened this week, as it is a small base there is no Senior rates mess. They have opened and are running themselves an all ranks bar.

In an attempt to bring a touch of home has contacted many sporting clubs to ask for any memorabilia etc to put up in the club, many contacted have come straight back saying they would be delighted to help, Spurs and England football, Sarries, Exeter to name a few, however he received a quick return from Tigers saying no. As he is a life long Tigers fan he has been left feeling sadden. As they share the base with the USN he has even contacted NFL and MLB teams who have said they will being sending packages to them.

I know the club gets dozens of such requests , this just shows me that our club is being run by business people and not rugby fans and everything seems to be about the £.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: I am really disappointed in the club

Post by westwinds31 »

Whilst it is disappointing that this request was turned down, as an ex matelot myself, the club are I’m sure swamped with requests for shirts, signed items and other memorabilia. They can’t give to everyone is the bottom line, although every request is probably a worthy cause.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm Whilst it is disappointing that this request was turned down, as an ex matelot myself, the club are I’m sure swamped with requests for shirts, signed items and other memorabilia. They can’t give to everyone is the bottom line, although every request is probably a worthy cause.
I agree as I said above, but as I stated it just shows me how the club / game has changed, especially when Kissball clubs have been so quick and forthcoming :(
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I have a vacuum bag of Tigers shirts from over the years stored at home. Always willing to do something to help the forces so if it is any help I am happy to post out a couple of shirts if that is any use. Appreciate that they probably want new stuff to go up but the offer is there if it is of any use.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm Whilst it is disappointing that this request was turned down, as an ex matelot myself, the club are I’m sure swamped with requests for shirts, signed items and other memorabilia. They can’t give to everyone is the bottom line, although every request is probably a worthy cause.
I may be an old cynic but I can't help thinking that some requests would wind up on ebay rather promptly..
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I share your sentiments although the club will have their reasons, same as requests to have players attend club prize giving etc all requests have to be made centrally, unless you know someone who knows someone.

A lot of the players have, Twitter, instagram accounts, may be worth your son making a direct approach.
I know fro past experience through Coley that they have a lot of old kit cluttering up the place, particularly if there has been a change of kit supplier
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:05 pm My son has just deployed to Bahrain for 7 months to the new Naval base HMS Jufair that opened this week, as it is a small base there is no Senior rates mess. They have opened and are running themselves an all ranks bar.

In an attempt to bring a touch of home has contacted many sporting clubs to ask for any memorabilia etc to put up in the club, many contacted have come straight back saying they would be delighted to help, Spurs and England football, Sarries, Exeter to name a few, however he received a quick return from Tigers saying no. As he is a life long Tigers fan he has been left feeling sadden. As they share the base with the USN he has even contacted NFL and MLB teams who have said they will being sending packages to them.

I know the club gets dozens of such requests , this just shows me that our club is being run by business people and not rugby fans and everything seems to be about the £.
I must admit I am surprised by a blunt 'no.' Did the club give any indication of its reasons?

Also, I can't help but think that when you ask for something for nothing, however worthy the cause, you should appreciate what you do get and whinging because you don't receive a load of free stash is a bit poor.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Surely not a lot to ask, a shirt, a flag or a photo to put up.
They send enough junk mail out, kids camps etc, I know that.
I imagine these blokes got to the base and it's as bare as Lady Bay Beach.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pm Surely not a lot to ask, a shirt, a flag or a photo to put up.
They send enough junk mail out, kids camps etc, I know that.
I imagine these blokes got to the base and it's as bare as Lady Bay Beach.
Its brand new they moved on Saturday, so all though nice and new, no character at all, hence why they are trying to bring some, I did the same for many years, I wrote to every International club I could and the results are still hanging in the Stags clubhouse in Cyprus
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pmSurely not a lot to ask, a shirt, a flag or a photo to put up.
I didn't say it was. Having been the occasional recipient of kit/bodies I have been grateful for what or whoever arrived and not whinged when nothing/nobody turned up.
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pmThey send enough junk mail out, kids camps etc, I know that.
These directly generate cash. Some may argue that giving away freebies does the same but that's a bit more abstruse.
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pmI imagine these blokes got to the base and it's as bare as Lady Bay Beach.
I'd swap the nice shiny new mostly en-suite blocks for some of the falling down rubbish those elsewhere have to put up with any day.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

h's dad wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:32 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pmSurely not a lot to ask, a shirt, a flag or a photo to put up.
I didn't say it was. Having been the occasional recipient of kit/bodies I have been grateful for what or whoever arrived and not whinged when nothing/nobody turned up.
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pmThey send enough junk mail out, kids camps etc, I know that.
These directly generate cash. Some may argue that giving away freebies does the same but that's a bit more abstruse.
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pmI imagine these blokes got to the base and it's as bare as Lady Bay Beach.
I'd swap the nice shiny new mostly en-suite blocks for some of the falling down rubbish those elsewhere have to put up with any day.
I totally agree, I have lived in far worse places and given the chance to have made it better I would have, no doubt what so ever
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:05 pm My son has just deployed to Bahrain for 7 months to the new Naval base HMS Jufair that opened this week, as it is a small base there is no Senior rates mess. They have opened and are running themselves an all ranks bar.

I have a shirt signed by Martin Corry - your lad and the bar are most welcome to it - pm me
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Yes they can. It will be a donation/tax write-off or whatever so I'm sure that one of the many tax-bods at Tigers can, if they really wanted to, sort it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 pm
Yes they can. It will be a donation/tax write-off or whatever so I'm sure that one of the many tax-bods at Tigers can, if they really wanted to, sort it.
How many people exactly do you think are working on requests that Tigers receive from clubs, individuals and charities ? I know someone who organises a charity event annually for Help for Heroes....he asks a lot of clubs for items and not all respond. C’est la vie.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Man asks for free stuff.

Club says no.

Outrageous.

To be frank, there are a lot of more worthy causes out there than decorating a bar. I'm also thankful that the club is being run by business people, since it is a business.