I am really disappointed in the club

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: I am really disappointed in the club

Post by ellis9 »

Brand management like all leading businesses!

Why don't people realise and understand that Leicester Tigers are a business?! As are all other 11 Premiership clubs!

How many times do people need to be told?!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tigers not only support the above mentioned Charities but have "bucket collections" on several matchdays especially Scotties Little Soldiers, The Royal Anglian Regiment charities and many others.
We have had the match ball delivered by "Tiger" helicopter, a flypast from the Red Arrows and furthermore Tigers actively support the "Tickets for Troops" campaign.
However one does wonder what happens to the old match shirts at the end of season with supplier or sponsor changes?
Perhaps these could be sold off to support Matt Hampson's project or donated to certain charities. :smt023
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We don't see the washing line strung between the posts these days, so perhaps each match day the shirts are just discarded, not washed, I cannot see them surviving a whole season. Why cannot club not give Chobbsy one of these shirts, get them signed, no need to wash it, give it to Chobbsy he could pay postage, no cost to club, bet his guys would prefer a mucky one to a brand new clean one! Job done, boys would appreciate that small gesture, I would! Time to think outside of the box, what ever that means! :smt045
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

I used to handle he charity requests at one time as part of my Supporter Services role before I went into ticket sales. It was almost a full time job as back then I was receiving over 300 a week. If we were successful this would increase to over 1000 a week. I can understand the disappointment but not every request can be accommodated. And yes there is a laundry room at OP where the kit is washed. Only time new shirts are issued is if they are ripped beyond repair.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

fleabane wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:08 pm David Clayton gave this club its culture, far more than the Peters. His departure coincided with the decline that most people have noticed. Brand management has taken over at the cost of caring about supporters.
Your conception of brand management is different to any definition I've ever seen. They all have at their heart customer (read supporter) expectation fulfilment/satisfaction.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

PaulinBroughton wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm I used to handle he charity requests at one time as part of my Supporter Services role before I went into ticket sales. It was almost a full time job as back then I was receiving over 300 a week. If we were successful this would increase to over 1000 a week. I can understand the disappointment but not every request can be accommodated. And yes there is a laundry room at OP where the kit is washed. Only time new shirts are issued is if they are ripped beyond repair.
Thanks for the 'inside' info.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sorry fleabane, I have to disagree with your comment re David Clayton. The Peters each played many years for the club, Peter Wheeler captained Tigers to many outstanding victories and led us to the three John Player Cup wins that boosted our support to levels only previously achieved on Babaa's days. The Peters and the early PLC board made us a viable business and laid the foundations for on field success. David Clayton for all his business acumen came from a soccer background and never really understood rugby supporters, he did a good job for the Tigers and played his part in our development but his contribution in no way measures up to the almost a lifetimes dedication of Peter Tom and Peter Wheeler.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree John.

A few years ago there was a very unsavoury atmosphere on the Crumbie Terrace, I think it was a Friday night match v Wasps when they went to uncontested scrums. An element of Tigers fans around us that evening were extremely aggressive, verbally toxic and my young son at the time was frightened by the whole experience and my wife and I quite shocked. I have to say it was one of only a very few occasions at WRd when I've been embarrassed about the behaviour of our fans.

I wrote a letter/email (can't remember which) complaining about the incident and one day later had a call on my mobile from Peter Tom apologising and outlining what the Club intended to do to avoid a repetition. Very impressive.

I have had extra respect for him ever since.
Soggypitch
PaulinBroughton
Tiger Cub

Post by PaulinBroughton »

Another and final point on this, Due to the amount of requests the club receive very little if any merchandise is given for charity requests. Very few individual requests are granted unless it is for a registered charity, hence the reason for the club asking for requests on headed paper. I lost count of the number of items which were requested and ended up on fans and auction websites. This included pairs of tickets which had been donated. This forced the club to rethink their charities policy hence the response letter that was in an earlier post.
Unfortunately the actions of a few people seeking to cash in made this necessary.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

h's dad wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 am
fleabane wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:08 pm David Clayton gave this club its culture, far more than the Peters. His departure coincided with the decline that most people have noticed. Brand management has taken over at the cost of caring about supporters.
Your conception of brand management is different to any definition I've ever seen. They all have at their heart customer (read supporter) expectation fulfilment/satisfaction.
I’m afraid that Tigers idea of brand management is about developing sources of income, and not developing the clubs culture. They do not “all have at their heart” customer satisfaction. It is now more about brand awareness and income at Welford Road. David Claytons ideas were closer to developing the supporters levels of satisfaction.
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

fleabane wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 pm
h's dad wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 am
I’m afraid that Tigers idea of brand management is about developing sources of income, and not developing the clubs culture. They do not “all have at their heart” customer satisfaction. It is now more about brand awareness and income at Welford Road. David Claytons ideas were closer to developing the supporters levels of satisfaction.
YES! THEY ARE A BUSINESS!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If the board weren't interested in generating income we wouldn't have a club.

Some of you call yourselves supporters but you seem to want to take a lot more from the club than you are prepared to give. How is that supporting the club? If you support Tigers you should be happy to pay for a shirt to hang in your bar.

Some of us like to think it's "our club" because we pay for tickets, and merchandising, and watch on TV, but the fact is that all this money we put into the club isn't enough to make it break even. We are not enough. Look at the club's accounts, this is a fact - if we want Leicester Tigers to still exist in 20 years time, the club absolutely has to increase revenue, to find new sources of revenue, and to increase profitability.

So if you truly do care about Leicester Tigers, offer constructive feedback to the club, but stop whinging about the lack of freebies for everyone who asks, stop whinging about the price of a pint, the lack of bar staff and the quality of the burgers, stop whinging about the building of a hotel, and most of all stop whinging about the club being run like a business - because all these things in one way or another are to help the club survive.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This thread is quite frankly ....pathetic. It’s a shame that Tigers didn’t contribute anything but to hang the club out to dry for 1 instance is not right. Why are there no posts from people who received signed items and merchandise ? There are too many to list that’s why. Get a grip !

Chobbsy, I spent 9 months in Tampa, Florida back in 2004, serving with US troops. Their Armed Forces get a lot of support from businesses and sporting organisations and they are very proud of their people serving at home and abroad. I regularly had people shaking my hand thanking me for my service, something you would not get in the UK. That’s why the US sporting franchises have probably donated items.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 am This thread is quite frankly ....pathetic. It’s a shame that Tigers didn’t contribute anything but to hang the club out to dry for 1 instance is not right. Why are there no posts from people who received signed items and merchandise ? There are too many to list that’s why. Get a grip !
Here here.

A couple of weeks back me, my mate and our kids attended the Open Training Session - the lads bought themselves a rugby ball each from the shop (less than £10 each) and duly got them signed by every Tigers player who attended. OK these sessions don't run very often but if you don't put the effort in in the first place. I realised afterwards that I should have taken one of the many Tigers shirts I have in the wardrobe.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Coops wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 am
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 am This thread is quite frankly ....pathetic. It’s a shame that Tigers didn’t contribute anything but to hang the club out to dry for 1 instance is not right. Why are there no posts from people who received signed items and merchandise ? There are too many to list that’s why. Get a grip !
Here here.

A couple of weeks back me, my mate and our kids attended the Open Training Session - the lads bought themselves a rugby ball each from the shop (less than £10 each) and duly got them signed by every Tigers player who attended. OK these sessions don't run very often but if you don't put the effort in in the first place. I realised afterwards that I should have taken one of the many Tigers shirts I have in the wardrobe.
Nice answer, did you read the post? He is in BAHRAIN, quite difficult to pop to the open training session, but thanks for the advice, I am sure he will appreciate it
God created rugby so footballers have heros too