Any qualified Refs out there.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Any qualified Refs out there.

Post by Mark62 »

I ask the question as a debate is going on, on the Wasps match thread re the Malouf tackle and subsequent citing.
At the time though he was lucky to get away with yellow so have no issues with the citing.

The matter has been raised of Wades fend on Jonny May which led to the injury. The photo clearly shows Wade leading with his forearm into Mays jaw.

So the question is shouldn’t the same standards be used for the player being tackled as they are for the tackler ??
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Any qualified Refs out there.

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think the argument is that the first point of Wade to come into contact with May is his right shoulder - it's only as he twists/turns in the tackle (or the appalling attempt at the tackle) that his already raised arm is near May's neck/jaw. Undoubtedly he fends with this forearm, but I don't think there was intent or malice in the traditional sense of a "forearm smash". Had he led with the forearm it's a different argument.

Penalise that and you've got another game destroying can of worms.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Its a tough one,by the letter of the law its duty of care nonsense but i prefer the ref to use common sense in these situations. Its like the competing in the air,OK there has been some deserved reds but theres equally been some daft decisions too because of the guidelines they have been given. The game is on a knife edge at the minute!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Interpretation and Interpretation etc.....

Players should be allowed to fend off a tackle. But what is then deemed dangerous.
Players should be allowed to compete at lineout. But what is then deemed pulling down or contact.
Players should be able to the clear at ruck effectively. But what is deemed as leading with shoulders, head on head and or no arm tackles.
Yellow or Red card for same offence because interpretation governs which ref see's the offence as deliberate or not.
One week one thing for one Sir. the next week something else for the next Sir.
All we ask for is consistency in applying the rules.
And don't get me started on reffing by TMO. Assisting Yes. :smt013