RFU injury surveillance report, re plaggy pitches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: RFU injury surveillance report, re plaggy pitches

Post by jgriffin »

We will look back on the era of artificial pitches and wonder why clubs went down that route instead of Tigers' Desso route. One problem with artificial footie pitches is the locked foot/knee turns injury. Far more problematic for me is the burns - when Tigers played at Wuss several players had livid burns on hips, knees etc.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The Scarlets comments can't be classed as sour grapes as they won & in theory a 4G pitch suit's their playing style, they also won at the Arms Park, but when they played there they protected some players because of the surface.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Someone should start a petition to ban 4G pitches for uses of contact rugby
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 pm
wellstiger wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:46 am Welcome the report.
But will it change clubs attitudes. I feel that clubs will keep these Plastic pitches.
I'd like to see a report done on Cancer risk because of the prills( if that's what they are called).As I believe they are made of tyre waste and may have a adverse effect on health.
There's nothing in the report that should change their mind yet. This is the first time out of 4 years that there has been an increase in injuries on the artificial pitches. So far there is no difference between the two types on average. They've noted the fact that the increase has occurred, and will monitor if the trend continues.
I agree - the stats certainly reveal a need for continuing to monitor this closely (and extend the monitoring internationally - including junior, non-elite, women’s rugby). However, It’s far too early to draw definitive conclusions about causation here - it’s not even a trend yet!

BTW - I’m not a fan of plastic...but I am a social scientist with a reasonable grasp of quantitative research methods, so I’m resisting the temptation to use this report to reinforce my prejudice!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:10 pm Someone should start a petition to ban 4G pitches for uses of contact rugby
Even if they were to be banned, I'm sure Saracens would find a "loophole" somewhere to carry on having a plastic pitch.